ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ

Good burnt ends at several places in KC
I'm not much on ribs, so I don’t have much of an opinion on KC Ribs. But definitely pork ribs over beef ribs for me.
You are right about KC burnt ends....I have found a couple of no-name places that do them very well. I was thinking in general about Gates BBQ, which is uber popular up there...I am not a fan.

And I find most ribs are over-smoked and too dry. I actually do mine covered in the oven for about 3 hours then smoke them. Incredibly moist and falls off the bone.

Reactions: TUMU
You are right about KC burnt ends....I have found a couple of no-name places that do them very well. I was thinking in general about Gates BBQ, which is uber popular up there...I am not a fan.

And I find most ribs are over-smoked and too dry. I actually do mine covered in the oven for about 3 hours then smoke them. Incredibly moist and falls off the bone.
I do mine an hour on smoker unwrapped, and then about an hour wrapped, and then I might put them meat side down over the heat source to get a little sear on them at the end.

I do mine an hour on smoker unwrapped, and then about an hour wrapped, and then I might put them meat side down over the heat source to get a little sear on them at the end.
That sounds like a very good way to do them. When can we all come over to try them??

Got to be honest....that feels like too much hassle just for BBQ.
On Saturday, Oakhart serves Beef Ribs, the big ole Dinosaur size ribs. I had one (each weighs about a pound and a half) and they're real good too. Smoked in the Lockhart, TX style.

Reactions: TU_BLA
On Saturday, Oakhart serves Beef Ribs, the big ole Dinosaur size ribs. I had one (each weighs about a pound and a half) and they're real good too. Smoked in the Lockhart, TX style.
Now that is some info I will be putting to use! Rare to find a beef rib that hasn't been trimmed to the point of being devoid of anything edible.

Get there early. I’ve walked in at 11:30 and been told they are out.

They're very similar to these. This Meat Church guy makes great BBQ videos.

"I ain't mad" Those look good. You can find the beef ribs at COSTCO for those wondering if you can find them without spending an arm and a leg with the uncertainty of not knowing how to cook them.

I usually wrap with foil but the issue he mentioned that it usually makes the bark mush and you have to cook them a bit more after unwrapping to get it back is definitely true. I might try to do the butcher paper next time. And I must say, I smiled a bit when he slid the bones right out, nice and clean. There is nothing like pulling a bone out clean like that...especially in a pork shoulder. Clean shoulder blade after a cook means you don't have to work too hard to get the rest pulled and served.

My all time favorite will always be burnco. They moved their 11th street location downtown near 18th and Boston, but they also opened a new restaurant out in Jenks at the river walk.

Otherwise, Albert G's downtown is good and I've head good things about the Notty Pig, but I've yet to try it.
Knotty pig is the bomb...some of the next generation that ran knotty pine years ago...big portions

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Ate at Macs today brisket was good pulled pork wasn’t barbecue beans wasn’t as good as rib crib, potato salad wasn’t good. Overall wasn’t impressed

I’ve never been a fan of beef ribs and ribs of any kind are not my first choice. I like pulled pork the best “I like big butts, pork butts that is“. That said I make a pretty mean rack of ribs. I smoke them 5 hours total then give them a finish on a hot grill. I did a couple of briskets last year for a group and followed the teaching of the meat church and they turned out very good. The only problem with brisket is it takes so long. I was having people over for lunch so I put the briskets on before going to bed planning to do a couple of chickens dur the rest period. The brisket took so long people were eating while I tried to finish the chickens. I like a good burnt end when I’m in the mood.

Beef ribs are not easy. I've done them with moderate success. I would suggest not using a basic BBQ rub and go for something simpler using coarse salt, black pepper, and some ground mustard. You may even want to inject or brine them as well. And be careful, there are two cuts you can get. You can get a beef plate rib which is going to be a thinner cap of beef and then there's a beef back rib with a thicker cap of beef. Cooking times will vary. I always wrap ribs for the middle part of cooking but make sure you get the wrap tight otherwise you'll just end up steaming them with a result that is Rib Crib-esque.

And the burnt ends in KC are something. I do like them, especially from Q39. And if you're doing brisket, the slice should be about the width of a pencil....anything thinner and you're essentially making an Arby's sandwich.

They're some damn good thin sliced brisket in KC.
When LC's is on their game it's as good as it gets. Same for Bryants on Brooklyn with their brisket. But neither are always on their game. Not a fan of Bryants original sauce.

Yes, Gates is overrated. I can name several places better than Gates in my opinion.

Knotty pig is the bomb...some of the next generation that ran knotty pine years ago...big portions
Knotty Pig's fried pickles are the bomb. The rest for me is rather pedestrian as far as flavor profile goes, however you certainly won't leave there hungry. Employees are very personable and service is great, and that makes any dining experience better.

Reactions: Cane1963
Yes, Gates is overrated. I can name several places better than Gates in my opinion.
Is Jack’s stack in Martin City still as good as it was 20 years ago? Also what about Haywood’s?

Q39 was amazing. That was a recommendation from a local when we were up that way for a soccer tournament. We ordered it to take out b/c it was a Saturday evening and the line was out the door and we were just on the other side of COVID. It was still freaking amazing. My son got the ribs and they were great. Competition style baby backs, nice bite through but not a fall apart and the flavor was incredible. So good and moist and they didn't need any sauce. I got a sandwich and hot link. Just amazing. We went to the one in Overland Park but they have a couple of other locations as well. Gates is OK but I agree, the sauce is meh. I actually prefer Head Country. Tangy and sweet with a bit of bite.

Is Jack’s stack in Martin City still as good as it was 20 years ago? Also what about Haywood’s?
I haven't been to Jack Stack in Martin City for years, too far out from where I am when in KC.
I go to the location on the Plaza. I have been there twice in the last two years. It's good. Jack Stack is similar to Q39 in quality and also atmosphere. It's more upscale atmosphere.
They have three or four Jack Stack's in KC.

Are you asking about Haywards? Haven't been in years, use to go often to the location at Antioch and College BLVD when I worked in the area. Believe the old man died several years ago. Reopened at a new location, haven't been there.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I haven't been to Jack Stack in Martin City for years, too far out from where I am when in KC.
I go to the location on the Plaza. I have been there twice in the last two years. It's good. Jack Stack is similar to Q39 in quality and also atmosphere. It's more upscale atmosphere.
They have three or four Jack Stack's in KC.

Are you asking about Haywards? Haven't been in years, use to go often to the location at Antioch and College BLVD when I worked in the area. Believe the old man died several years ago. Reopened at a new location, haven't been there.
Thanks. I lived in the area (Kansas side) in 87 and 88. Always went to Jack’s. Occasionally to Haywards. Was never a big fan of Gates or Bobby Bells. Use to go to town occasionally on business and tried to eat at Jack’s when there. Been way too long.

Thanks. I lived in the area (Kansas side) in 87 and 88. Always went to Jack’s. Occasionally to Haywards. Was never a big fan of Gates or Bobby Bells. Use to go to town occasionally on business and tried to eat at Jack’s when there. Been way too long.
I left KC MO in late 1987. Maybe we ate some Q in the same restaurants.

Ate at Macs today brisket was good pulled pork wasn’t barbecue beans wasn’t as good as rib crib, potato salad wasn’t good. Overall wasn’t impressed
Ate at Mac’s today. I only had the pulled pork. It was a mushy mess of ground up looking meat. The sauce is very good, and the bbq beans were quite good. The potato salad tasted like it was bought, and the Cole slaw was a dry and decidedly not good.

Macs is “meh” to us.
Good but, not worth the 20 minute drive very often. Trails End is a little closer and better, IMO.
I need to try Oakhart and Buffalo!

That’s how I feel about both of them. Mac’s is fine, but not exactly in line with the hype. I go there if I’m up that way and really hungry, but otherwise I’m not making the trip.

Oakhart matches the hype.

Burn Co used to be that place but got too big and crowded. It was better when it was by TU and two dudes making totally random food every day. I have always thought it was more of a meat place (steaks, burgers) than a barbecue joint. But the expectations of its increasingly moronic patrons brought it down.

I have never ordered the burnt ends at a Bbq place. I want to sample them at various Bbq places around town. Do they only sell them at Burnco, or are there other places that have them.

I have never ordered the burnt ends at a Bbq place. I want to sample them at various Bbq places around town. Do they only sell them at Burnco, or are there other places that have them.
Oklahoma Joe's serves them but I wasn't too impressed.

Burn Co has them on Wednesdays usually. They are really good. They are a little rich if you haven’t had them before. But I love them.

I think the OK Joe’s burnt ends are actually one of their few standout items.

One of my partners recently tried to tell me Billy Simms’ is the best barbecue in Oklahoma. I’m reconsidering my friendship with him.

Oklahoma Joe's serves them but I wasn't too impressed.

Burn Co has them on Wednesdays usually. They are really good. They are a little rich if you haven’t had them before. But I love them.

One of my partners recently tried to tell me Billy Simms’ is the best barbecue in Oklahoma. I’m reconsidering my friendship with him.
I'll check em both out. Thanks.

I love Burnco and Oakheart, and go there when I want some real Bbq.

I know I'll prolly get lambasted for this, but Kilkenny's has some cheap baby back ribs.(full rack/$24)) They aren't too bad when you're in the mood for some easy, 'faux' Bbq. And you get the rest of their menu/bar, which is good. But definitely not nearly as good as the real bbq places.

Reactions: HuffyCane

That would be the equivalent of someone in Dallas saying Dickey's is the best BBQ in Texas...it's a statement which makes you instantly question their mental health status

If anyone is going to the Seminole area stop by Hog’s. The brisket, ribs and bologna were very good. Their sauce wasn’t my type, I like more of a Hickory style, but the meat didn’t need sauce. They have sauces in a mild, hot or you can ask for the behind the counter hot if that is your preference. The pinto beans were really good.

If anyone is going to the Seminole area stop by Hog’s. The brisket, ribs and bologna were very good. Their sauce wasn’t my type, I like more of a Hickory style, but the meat didn’t need sauce. They have sauces in a mild, hot or you can ask for the behind the counter hot if that is your preference. The pinto beans were really good.
I got a ton of relatives there. I'll have to hit that place sometime.

So if anyone is headed to KC by way of 44 and then I-49, stop off in Carthage. There is a place there called Boomer BBQ and they are obviously OU fans. Really good stuff. It's just east of 49 on the north side of the road.

So if anyone is headed to KC by way of 44 and then I-49, stop off in Carthage. There is a place there called Boomer BBQ and they are obviously OU fans. Really good stuff. It's just east of 49 on the north side of the road.

I saw that place when I stopped at a Kum & Go on the south side of the street while on my way to KC for Thanksgiving.
Will have to give it a try sometime.

I really like Nomad at 31st and Harvard.. it’s some old Burn Co people. Some things are very similar. Good ribs, decent wings, good sides. I really want to try the drip beef but it sells out. Instead of steaks, they do a deli style menu.

Good call on Hog’s. I have to go to Court in Wewoka today (it ain’t woke) and I may check that out.

Hog’s is very good. Those collared greens are worth a trip by themselves. Very cool place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT