ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball unbelievable action

Tulsa baseball on the diamond again would be awesome. Oh but we would probably have to add a woman's sport. Hmmm I'd watch women wrestle.

I'm not sure this will go through and hope its not against the rules to link it, but I'll try since it follows the conversation. Its from the tulsa board on another website. Now I don't necessarily advocate starting the program back, but it might someday be a considered. I didn't have a lot to do during the recent rainy weather and the CWS was on.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-738249.html

Last edited:
I don't think mud wrestling would be allowed in the NCAA

I think the key would be adding a womens sport(s) that is cost effective - a sport that wouldn't lose much money or better, make some. The other component would be ease of scheduling and travel. Also a venue that can be had or built easily. Everything from bowling to beach volleyball. We actually have the fields/venues on campus for womens Lacrosse or Field Hockey for instance. The idea would be for them to make money-not lose it.

But you'd still have to come up with the 12 schollies. I've never thought schollies were a problem because its basically just another seat in the classroom and another suite in the dorm. Its the travel costs, stadium, recruiting etc that adds up - so the best sports are the ones that limit those costs. And i suppose you now have COA to add.

But as for baseball, I think it could make money if the venue is available given our history in the sport and the easy scheduling if we moved to OneOK. BTW, the rent for Missouri St for Hammons field is about $200,000 per year, but MSU gets access to most of the amenities (including suites which amount to more revenue), I believe. There is no maintenance to pay for. The trick would be to get the city of Tulsa on board.

But the two teams (TU and Drillers) just wouldn't have many schedule conflicts. The facility is used more often and the downtown citizens in general are better served. Win, win.

BTW, Im pretty sure OU, OSU and ORU would jump at the chance to come and play in OneOK every chance they can get. Those games can go a long way to cost effectiveness. imo

Last edited:
I think the key would be adding a womens sport(s) that is cost effective - a sport that wouldn't lose much money or better, make some. The other component would be ease of scheduling and travel. Also a venue that can be had or built easily. Everything from bowling to beach volleyball. We actually have the fields/venues on campus for womens Lacrosse or Field Hockey for instance. The idea would be for them to make money-not lose it.

But you'd still have to come up with the 12 schollies. I've never thought schollies were a problem because its basically just another seat in the classroom and another suite in the dorm. Its the travel costs, stadium, recruiting etc that adds up - so the best sports are the ones that limit those costs. And i suppose you now have COA to add.

But as for baseball, I think it could make money if the venue is available given our history in the sport and the easy scheduling if we moved to OneOK. BTW, the rent for Missouri St for Hammons field is about $200,000 per year, but MSU gets access to most of the amenities (including suites which amount to more revenue), I believe. There is no maintenance to pay for. The trick would be to get the city of Tulsa on board.

But the two teams (TU and Drillers) just wouldn't have many schedule conflicts. The facility is used more often and the downtown citizens in general are better served. Win, win.

BTW, Im pretty sure OU, OSU and ORU would jump at the chance to come and play in OneOK every chance they can get. Those games can go a long way to cost effectiveness. imo
How about the old drillers stadium on 15th. I know the Athletics play there but I am sure that something could be arranged for that one. I know there are more logistics into it then just an idea however you have to admit the cost of the team would be minimal.

How about the old drillers stadium on 15th. I know the Athletics play there but I am sure that something could be arranged for that one. I know there are more logistics into it then just an idea however you have to admit the cost of the team would be minimal.

I haven't been to a game there (DS) in a very long time, but some of the stands have been demolished and the field has really changed. So I think that is a bad option. The reason I think OneOk is a better option for TU is that it is baseball friendly and the rental fees wouldn't be too expensive, especially if the city gets involved. Also, the venue is what attracts the fans to basesball. The folks just want to come to a well designed, modern and effiicient venue that is well set up. Folks don't want to park in a combat zone or take their lives in their own hands to sit in a delapidated venue. And if the relationship between the Drillers and TU were good, the Drillers would be the best promoters of a TU baseball program.

Baseball at the fairgrounds has a very bad reputation. A section of bleachers actually collapsed back in the 70's and injured a lady and the county was sued. Thats when "Oiler" Park was in existence. But Driller Park sits in the same spot today. I guess I ask myself how would TU recruit to Driller Park as it exists today versus recruiting to OneOk. No comparison.

If TU is ever going to restart baseball, IMO they need to have a good venue that can attract fans, recruits and good schedules. I just don't think OU/OSU/ORU etc would want to play anyone in Driller Park. A commitment to baeball would be for a trial run I assume, maybe a minimum 10 year commitment to see if baseball could succeed. If the trial period proves successful, then TU might want to build its own on campus venue, but if it were to fail, then TU wouldn't be stuck with an on campus venue noone uses.

I'm not sure TU will consider adding baseball until the athletic budget is in great shape, but IMO there is a fantastic opportunity for any college right now to increase attendence, especially in the minor sports. The reason is the baby boom generation. The BBers are still young enough to attend events in person, wealthy enough to pay for the pleasure and want to experience an important event while they can. Local events are there for the taking and there really isn't enough "ball" in the spring. Softball is OK, but unfortunately, will never be america's passtime.

IMO

I haven't been to a game there (DS) in a very long time, but some of the stands have been demolished and the field has really changed. So I think that is a bad option. The reason I think OneOk is a better option for TU is that it is baseball friendly and the rental fees wouldn't be too expensive, especially if the city gets involved. Also, the venue is what attracts the fans to basesball. The folks just want to come to a well designed, modern and effiicient venue that is well set up. Folks don't want to park in a combat zone or take their lives in their own hands to sit in a delapidated venue. And if the relationship between the Drillers and TU were good, the Drillers would be the best promoters of a TU baseball program.

Baseball at the fairgrounds has a very bad reputation. A section of bleachers actually collapsed back in the 70's and injured a lady and the county was sued. Thats when "Oiler" Park was in existence. But Driller Park sits in the same spot today. I guess I ask myself how would TU recruit to Driller Park as it exists today versus recruiting to OneOk. No comparison.

If TU is ever going to restart baseball, IMO they need to have a good venue that can attract fans, recruits and good schedules. I just don't think OU/OSU/ORU etc would want to play anyone in Driller Park. A commitment to baeball would be for a trial run I assume, maybe a minimum 10 year commitment to see if baseball could succeed. If the trial period proves successful, then TU might want to build its own on campus venue, but if it were to fail, then TU wouldn't be stuck with an on campus venue noone uses.

I'm not sure TU will consider adding baseball until the athletic budget is in great shape, but IMO there is a fantastic opportunity for any college right now to increase attendence, especially in the minor sports. The reason is the baby boom generation. The BBers are still young enough to attend events in person, wealthy enough to pay for the pleasure and want to experience an important event while they can. Local events are there for the taking and there really isn't enough "ball" in the spring. Softball is OK, but unfortunately, will never be america's passtime.

IMO
I cannot argue with that logic. Very well stated.

The drillers played at the stadium located at 15th and Yale. Oiler park was located to the west at the southeast corner of 15th and Sandusky. Is the stadium at 15th and Yale even used anymore now that the drillers play downtown?

Its been converted to a soccer stadium and in order to do that, some of the stands were demolished to make room for the larger soccer field. For some reason we have two pro soccer teams in town. One plays at OneOk and the other at Driller Park on 15th/Yale.

Ive asked Gragg the baseball question before.
A summary of what he said was "20 million to endow a baseball program" and "I'm not going to be the AD that brings baseball back to TU."

Thats not a good answer. If I were him, I'd try a different reply like "We are always open to it when and if we have the resources, but unfortunately, at this point, we aren't considering it."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT