ADVERTISEMENT

Barnes out at Texas

My friends from UT say he should have been ousted years ago.

He'd have been fired at season's end, except through fraud they were placed in the NCAA tournament.

I remember Barnes at Providence somewhere in the late 80's. I'm not 100% sure but he may have taken over for Pitino after the '87 Final Four run when Pitino left for the Knicks.

Two of the successful coaches in the history of UT football and basketball were hired one year apart and essentially fired one year apart. Mack Brown only won 1 national championship and Rick Barnes only advanced to 1 final 4, in both cases UT waited way too long to make a change.

Rick Barnes has embraced the football culture, he will likely have no problem working at either Tennessee or Alabama if either school is wise enough to hire him. What he accomplished at Texas was nothing less than phenomenal, the all-time winningest Head Coach with 402 W's (70%), made the NCAA tournament 16 of 17 years, and won 20+ games 15 of 17 years.

Having said that, the flagship school in a state rich in high school basketball talent, with virtually unlimited resources and support should have a top 5 basketball program.

TX

This post was edited on 3/30 10:51 AM by texcane1982

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
I remember Barnes at Providence somewhere in the late 80's. I'm not 100% sure but he may have taken over for Pitino after the '87 Final Four run when Pitino left for the Knicks.
Yes, he spent 1 season as Head Coach at George Mason, then replaced Slick Rick.

TX

Originally posted by texcane1982:

Yes, he spent 1 season as Head Coach at George Mason, then replaced Slick Rick.

TX
There was another coach at Providence between Pitino and Barnes.

I hate being a Google fact machine. It keeps my memory on its toes by trying to recall info. If I call in to answer trivia questions from the radio, I never Google the answer...not much sport or fun in that. So in my disclaimer of I am off a year or a small sequence, that is why.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Babe is correct although most PC fans blot out that year as it was bad. Gordie Chiesa was a disaster. Barnes came in after him and righted the PC ship. Barnes and Tim Welsh both stayed at PC for far longer than I realized.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Expect Marshall (Wichita St) to be the new UT or Alabama coach within the week. If Marshall picks Alabama, expect Smart (VCU) to be the new UT coach.

Reports are that Barnes will be the next coach at Tennessee. I don't think either Smart or Marshall take the Bama job...Yes would be supported internally and given resources to win...not sure culture from fans/students is all that great for basketball.

UT = Texas in my post....
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:

Expect Marshall (Wichita St) to be the new UT or Alabama coach within the week. If Marshall picks Alabama, expect Smart (VCU) to be the new UT coach.
Smart has had a lot of opportunities and turned them all down. Doubt he would risk Alabama. Texas would be hard for anyone to turn down. They are just waiting for a good all-round coach. Buzz Williams might be in the mix too. He is the best Texas recruiter around. Marshall should not turn it down if offered. Heck even Self would make the Final Four at UT.

I got you Lawpoke. CBS Sports reporting Smart is in negotiations with Texas right now. I don't think Marshall goes to Bama at all.

I got you Lawpoke. CBS Sports reporting Smart is in negotiations with Texas right now. I don't think Marshall goes to Bama at all.
Supposenly, Marshall turned down Bama job
Bama AD left Wichita this evening empty handed
But Marsahll has apparently indicated he is interested in the Texas job

I doubt Buzz is in the mix after only a year at VaTech. His record at Marquette was good but he was less than spectacular at VaTech. Patterson basically has his pick of anyone but from all reports it sounds like he is working on the deal with Smart. Bama unfortunately for the Tide, is not quite as attractive in trying to lure a basketball coach. From all reports, Saban is an absolute a$$ and prima donna and pretty much rules that dept. Marshall would be wise to sit tight for another year. That's when another avg. season by Travis Ford at OSU and Mike Holder will have no choice but together rid of him even with a stupid high buyout. Marshall would be a shoe in for a great job and not have to really move that far.

I hate myself for having to admit that OSU would be a great bball job

I don't see Bama as a good basketabll job. It's a football school.

OSU job is about to open. Expect announcement very soon. Don't think they get a tier 1 coach. Guess we'll see.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
I don't see Bama as a good basketabll job. It's a football school.

OSU job is about to open. Expect announcement very soon. Don't think they get a tier 1 coach. Guess we'll see.
That means there are about to be some good recruits back on the market.

In this mornings DMN
3/31/15

In an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch,
VCU athletic director Ed McLaughlin said no one had requested
permission to talk to Smart. "There is nothing to report at this
moment," McLaughlin said.

Two sources cautioned
that the contact might not signal that Smart was the final candidate. No
one quite knows what direction Texas athletic director Steve Patterson
will pursue in what is viewed as a top-10 college job.

If
Smart turns down Texas, CBS reported the Longhorns are likely to turn
their attention to Utah's Larry Krystkowiak and Xavier's Chris Mack.
Villanova's Jay Wright could be another possibility. Former NBA coaches
like Avery Johnson, John Lucas and Mike Dunleavy have expressed an
interest in the job, with Lucas and Johnson having strong contacts in
the state. Patterson's father, Ray, drafted Lucas when he ran the
Houston Rockets.

And what about Wichita State's Gregg Marshall?
The
search, which is officially less than two days old, began on a wacky
Monday with the focus on Marshall as the top Texas target. The narrative
changed quickly when Alabama athletic director Bill Battle landed by
school plane in Wichita, Kan., and spent eight hours before departing
alone. Broadcast reports indicated Alabama might be willing to pay
Marshall upward of $4 million, more than double his current salary of
$1.85 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT