ADVERTISEMENT

Back When

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
The idea that Tulsa football can be successful focusing on NE Oklahoma recruiting is a myth. You need that core group of players, but you can't win recruiting "on a tank of gas."

Basketball, on the other hand, is another story. Once upon a time, you could have put together a team that would have won the national championship, if we would have had a coach that could connect with the city.

I can't speak for today, but if we would have kept three, maybe four of the guys on this list, and stayed off probation, what a year 1990 or 1991 would have been. How many guys went to the pros off this list? At a glance I can spot 3, maybe 4. But look at the names below those guys. We could have put together a pretty darn special team. Yet we only signed one. And he was a transfer.

Last name on the list Brad Bruno was a heckuva WR and a salty golfer as well. I remember Larry Heath too. I think he went juco but don’t think he made it to D1.

Last name on the list Brad Bruno was a heckuva WR and a salty golfer as well. I remember Larry Heath too. I think he went juco but don’t think he made it to D1.
I have a story for you later ...

And if you click on the link, the last few names on the list are Aaron Goins and Tink Collins. Both of whom signed with OU football. Tink started a few games at QB. Aaron never lived up to his hype and wound up at OSU after baseball, iirc. He's back in Owasso.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
If you go a little further back you can see Nolan coming in second on Mark Price, Steve Hale, ( UNC) and William Tisdale. I attended a gathering at Indian Springs to try to get Price who went to Ga Tech. And we know what losing William Tisdale meant the next year. JD missed on Lee Mayberry after he committed to TU early. Tubby finally got the top Tulsa player in Seals.

I played against Aaron Goins in 9th grade. Dude was already a legend. Played against Mayberry too. I use the term “played against” loosely lol. Three fouls in 60 seconds was more my style.

Tink is still a Ponca legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT