ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn fan here. What was the major reason Montgomery got fired.

But to be fair, and in Monty's defense, of the bad coaches who we kept around for too long, Monty's not the worst. I'd much rather have him than Blankenship or, switching up, Wojick.
OK, let's be fair Chito, you too Leon. 2012...beat big bad UCF twice here in consecutive weeks which included Trey Watt's wild punt return. Won a C-USA championship & our 2nd Liberty Bowl over the last P-5 team we've beaten- Iowa State. Never saw 2/3rds of a big stadium empty out so fast as the Ia. St. fans did with 5 minutes to go. Believe our record was 11-2 that year. Head Coach-Bill Blankenship.

But, I did hate Wojick from the git-go. I mean, from 1986 in the 1st round of the NCAA's when all he did as Navy's point guard was feed the Admiral for slam dunks.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU Pilot
He was a glorified hall monitor at Baylor with a ceremonial title and the claim checks for Art Briles's dry cleaning to prove it.

He brought Baylor's lack of discipline to TU and the penalties and post game fights proved it. The 2020 brawl could hsve been avoided if he had made the team leave the field right after the gun in a chippy game, instead, he ran for the locker room and left his incredibly agitated team on the field with an equally agitated opponent.

He supposedly brought Briles's playbook to Tulsa, but, if he did he lost it after year two and faded into a manic offensive depression when he realized that the Baylor scandal would keep him from any new HC position. He was so confident of a new gig that he hadnt recruited talent to replace his predecessors graduating classes and we had losing seasons as a result.

He let Briles son in law on the sideline to scout OU and nearly got us sanctioned. His nepotism knew no bounds. His arrogance was only equaled by his incompetence and offensive predictability.

Good luck.. and Roll Tide!

He was a glorified hall monitor at Baylor with a ceremonial title and the claim checks for Art Briles's dry cleaning to prove it.

He brought Baylor's lack of discipline to TU and the penalties and post game fights proved it. The 2020 brawl could hsve been avoided if he had made the team leave the field right after the gun in a chippy game, instead, he ran for the locker room and left his incredibly agitated team on the field with an equally agitated opponent.

He supposedly brought Briles's playbook to Tulsa, but, if he did he lost it after year two and faded into a manic offensive depression when he realized that the Baylor scandal would keep him from any new HC position. He was so confident of a new gig that he hadnt recruited talent to replace his predecessors graduating classes and we had losing seasons as a result.

He let Briles son in law on the sideline to scout OU and nearly got us sanctioned. His nepotism knew no bounds. His arrogance was only equaled by his incompetence and offensive predictability.

Good luck.. and Roll Tide!
The irony is that Lebby is now OU’s offensive coordinator.

OK, let's be fair Chito, you too Leon. 2012...beat big bad UCF twice here in consecutive weeks which included Trey Watt's wild punt return. Won a C-USA championship & our 2nd Liberty Bowl over the last P-5 team we've beaten- Iowa State. Never saw 2/3rds of a big stadium empty out so fast as the Ia. St. fans did with 5 minutes to go. Believe our record was 11-2 that year. Head Coach-Bill Blankenship.

But, I did hate Wojick from the git-go. I mean, from 1986 in the 1st round of the NCAA's when all he did as Navy's point guard was feed the Admiral for slam dunks.
I don't know, Blankenship's last year was like a colonoscopy. You know for a fact going in that it's going to suck hard but you have no choice, you have to do it, and then it sucks as bad as you thought it would and all you can say is at least it's over.

Reactions: quincy101
Do you think his elevation to head ball coach exposed his incompetence, but he was a competent assistant? Some of us including me can get in over our head (pay grade). Go Cane!!!

Do you think his elevation to head ball coach exposed his incompetence, but he was a competent assistant? Some of us
I dont think he ever called a play at Baylor let alone touched the playbook.. i maintain all he did was get Briles a latte while picking up Arts drycleaning.

Reactions: TU 1978
I dont think he ever called a play at Baylor let alone touched the playbook.. i maintain all he did was get Briles a latte while picking up Arts drycleaning.
He didn’t touch a playbook because there wasn’t one! Because the “playbook” is so short they teach through tape and demonstration.

Depending upon which source you read, he called plays for 0, 1, 2 or even all 4 years at Baylor. That type of disparity tells me he cooked and served meals but Briles was the chef. Does it really matter who chooses the play when the playbook is so tiny it doesn’t need to be written down anyhow? Seriously, he only ran like 6 of the 12 plays. If it’s first down does it matter who picks one of three versions of running straight into the line?

It told me a lot when his OC didn’t call plays the first year and left before the bowl game for Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
The hell were all these thoughts the last 4 years of his tenure? We all agreed for the last half decade and yet only a few of us were able to voice the obvious? lol.

Super excited for the new chapter though. Actually planning to go to a few games this year after boycotting Monty the last 5 years.

I thought we were not to speak of he who cannot be named
If you say his name does he reappear? Or are his minions and followers going to have to cut off a hand, sacrifice a muggle, and rob the grave of his deceased follower for a bone so he can come back? Just need to know if we're dealing with a Beetlejuice type of nuisance, or a Voldemort bent on world domination and destruction

• Love
Reactions: loca2874
The hell were all these thoughts the last 4 years of his tenure? We all agreed for the last half decade and yet only a few of us were able to voice the obvious? lol.

Super excited for the new chapter though. Actually planning to go to a few games this year after boycotting Monty the last 5 years.
I think after year 4 and no damn answers or prospects on how we were going to get back to 2016 form many of us started calling for his head. And yet, we gave him a big extension after 2016, Upham died and we got Clancy and Levitt clown show, Gragg was looking to make his dept. smaller so he didn't have as many responsibilities, and Monty kept getting hall passes despite his incompetence. And then he won just enough to keep admin happy or make their jobs impossible to see the writing on the wall and get rid of him.

I think Dickson would have gotten rid of him after 2021 had he not won the last 3 games and went to a bowl game.

If you say his name does he reappear? Or are his minions and followers going to have to cut off a hand, sacrifice a muggle, and rob the grave of his deceased follower for a bone so he can come back? Just need to know if we're dealing with a Beetlejuice type of nuisance, or a Voldemort bent on world domination and destruction
Not sure what a "Rippin" or a Voldemort is, but Bla has it bass ackwards. Beetlejuice is "only" 650 light years away & is in the process of blowing up. When the light from its final blow reaches us, it could mean our world's destruction. But that's OK, most of us won't be around. Maybe a Rippin or a few Voldemorts to witness it.

Some of us had reservations before he was announced.

I remember you joining me early in the WTH club though.

He lost a lot of people with that ridiculous shambolic loss to Arkansas State at home, a totally winnable game if we had a serviceable walk-on QB from any other G5 on the field. But President was the QB, he was hurt, and we lost the game. The capper was that totally amateur end around call on 3rd and forever inside the 10 yard line that resulted in a safety. Everyone on this board knew that play would be called on 3rd down before the ball was snapped on 1st down. Everyone in the stadium knew we weren’t passing on 3rd down pinned deep with a hurt QB that had thrown maybe 3 passes that day. People even talked about it on the game thread before it happened. I forget who it was, it wasn’t me, but the message was basically “Great. No gain. Hope we aren’t pinned deep and run that jet sweep it takes a decade to develop.”

The melting after that game was volcanic and a lot of people never got back on the bus.

One thing that bought him time is he could always point to Smith and say next year he will be great. The party was over when he left and CoVid ended. The cupboard was bare and he couldn’t deflect blame from himself any longer.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU 1978
Not sure what a "Rippin" or a Voldemort is, but Bla has it bass ackwards. Beetlejuice is "only" 650 light years away & is in the process of blowing up. When the light from its final blow reaches us, it could mean our world's destruction. But that's OK, most of us won't be around. Maybe a Rippin or a few Voldemorts to witness it.
Tell me you don't have millennial or Gen Z kids without telling me you don't have Millennial or Gen Z kids

I think after year 4 and no damn answers or prospects on how we were going to get back to 2016 form many of us started calling for his head. And yet, we gave him a big extension after 2016, Upham died and we got Clancy and Levitt clown show, Gragg was looking to make his dept. smaller so he didn't have as many responsibilities, and Monty kept getting hall passes despite his incompetence. And then he won just enough to keep admin happy or make their jobs impossible to see the writing on the wall and get rid of him.

I think Dickson would have gotten rid of him after 2021 had he not won the last 3 games and went to a bowl game.
People said they supported him because he was a good family man and a good Christian.

apparently you weren’t on here reading the comments thread during games or other threads posted about his ineptitude for the job.

Ah, you should remember Beetlejuice, somewhat popular 80s movie starring Michael Keaton as the aforementioned spook, Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis as dead people with unfinished business and unable to complete their crossover. And Voldemort is the main antagonist in the Harry Potter series.

Reactions: quincy101
Some of us had reservations before he was announced.

I remember you joining me early in the WTH club though.

He lost a lot of people with that ridiculous shambolic loss to Arkansas State at home, a totally winnable game if we had a serviceable walk-on QB from any other G5 on the field. But President was the QB, he was hurt, and we lost the game. The capper was that totally amateur end around call on 3rd and forever inside the 10 yard line that resulted in a safety. Everyone on this board knew that play would be called on 3rd down before the ball was snapped on 1st down. Everyone in the stadium knew we weren’t passing on 3rd down pinned deep with a hurt QB that had thrown maybe 3 passes that day. People even talked about it on the game thread before it happened. I forget who it was, it wasn’t me, but the message was basically “Great. No gain. Hope we aren’t pinned deep and run that jet sweep it takes a decade to develop.”

The melting after that game was volcanic and a lot of people never got back on the bus.

One thing that bought him time is he could always point to Smith and say next year he will be great. The party was over when he left and CoVid ended. The cupboard was bare and he couldn’t deflect blame from himself any longer.
One small correction - the amateur end around was our next to last possession of the fourth quarter IIRC. We were down by 8 and the safety put the game away. My BP just spiked again retelling it.

Reactions: HuffyCane
He thinks he's voldemort and he's really Mr Beetlebrown.

23593423_1414473571985207_1731092971255577191_o.jpg

• Haha
Yeah maybe it wasn’t clear from my question but I don’t recall that being a common justification for keeping him
I'm old, maybe I read it somewhere or saw it in a movie and then forgot it wasn't real. It'll happen to you some day, too, unless you die first.

Should’ve been fired a bunch of times but most definitely after the season opener vs UC Davis. I still can’t believe that crap happened.
Yeah, for sure. The original poster should have asked, what is the main reason Monty didn't get fired earlier? Why he got fired is obvious. The more interesting question for an outsider is why it took so long.

The first step is admittance
Joking aside , it is a good quality to be able to step back and admit you are wrong and can have the ability to laugh at yourself from time to time , makes life a lot better ! Believe me , I have to step back and see some of the things I say that later on I realize that were silly ! ( not a jab at you Chito, just a side note )

Reactions: cmullinsTU
But to be fair, and in Monty's defense, of the bad coaches who we kept around for too long, Monty's not the worst. I'd much rather have him than Blankenship or, switching up, Wojick.

Blankenship did win a conference championship and the bowl game that went with it. Not many other recent coaches did that.

I guess Wojick did have that CBI trophy in his case but that’s about it.

Blankenship did win a conference championship and the bowl game that went with it. Not many other recent coaches did that.

For one season, he was the only coach in program history who could do everything we ask them to do: win the conference, win the bowl, beat a P5, finish ranked. Reasonable minds can debate how much of that was him and how much of it was the foundation laid by the program and previous coaches.

Despite all of BB's shortcomings, and there were more than a few, he deserves our respect and thanks. The other guy? Ummmm ... no.

For one season, he was the only coach in program history who could do everything we ask them to do: win the conference, win the bowl, beat a P5, finish ranked. Reasonable minds can debate how much of that was him and how much of it was the foundation laid by the program and previous coaches.

And the previous coach could have probably stayed another 10 years and not done any of those things.

My opinion back then, which hasn't changed over the years, is that Bill got average results from an extremely talented roster. In other words, I don't think he elevated the team or made it better. A better coach could have produced something extraordinary that first year. On the other hand, I don't think he made the team worse (looking at you Buzz Peterson), so that's worth something I guess.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT