ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn fan here. What was the major reason Montgomery got fired.

Joking aside , it is a good quality to be able to step back and admit you are wrong and can have the ability to laugh at yourself from time to time , makes life a lot better ! Believe me , I have to step back and see some of the things I say that later on I realize that were silly ! ( not a jab at you Chito, just a side note )
LOL, I have 2 teenagers, if you can't laugh at yourself with them, you'll go crazy(ier)!

I do think what I said is true but I definitely wouldn't put money on it like I would have 20 years ago! The memory isn't quite the same iron trap it was back then. Or maybe it's just all filled up?

• Haha
Reactions: TULSARISING
LOL, I have 2 teenagers, if you can't laugh at yourself with them, you'll go crazy(ier)!

I do think what I said is true but I definitely wouldn't put money on it like I would have 20 years ago! The memory isn't quite the same iron trap it was back then. Or maybe it's just all filled up?
My brain runneth over.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

Well I definitely do remember seeing a lot of people saying we made a mistake in firing him because he was a “ nice guy “, so I can vouch for you on that because I remember being stunned just how many people thought you shouldn’t get fired at a job because you were nice 😂

Well I definitely do remember seeing a lot of people saying we made a mistake in firing him because he was a “ nice guy “, so I can vouch for you on that because I remember being stunned just how many people thought you shouldn’t get fired at a job because you were nice 😂

Similar things were said about Haith being a good guy.

Reactions: TULSARISING
If that were the case then Dave Rader would still be the head coach.

I dont think he ever called a play at Baylor let alone touched the playbook.. I maintain
all he did was get Briles a latte while picking up Art's dry cleaning.
OFFENSIVE Coordinator at Baylor had a different meaning and job description than
those at other schools....His main tasks involved hiring legal help for a roster, based
on their behavior, that had to be one of the really rotten ones in all of college football....

Last edited:
My opinion back then, which hasn't changed over the years, is that Bill got average results from an extremely talented roster. In other words, I don't think he elevated the team or made it better. A better coach could have produced something extraordinary that first year. On the other hand, I don't think he made the team worse (looking at you Buzz Peterson), so that's worth something I guess.
Bill was footballs JP.. the easy popular hire that was able to get results with an existing roster, but, his own recruits took too long to develop. Monty benefitted from Bill's core group and got 2 good years out of them, but, like Bill his core wasnt ready to take over and I believe that they may not have been as good as Bills.
Could Bill have achieved what Monty did in yrs 5 and 6? We can debate that forever. But the fact remains that Monty did not achieve yr 1 and 2 success in yrs 3-8. Instead it was a pattern of mediocrity in a mediocre conference.
I believe that mediocrity in his program was tolerated by an administration on cruise control that had no vision for the future of college football, let alone TU. Had everyone in power been looking to the future rather than the status quo we may have been in a better position when the world was turned on its head. Instead we are doing a furious dog paddle to keep our heads above water and make it to shore in whatever league is left over.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The school didn’t give BB enough money to go hire capable and experienced assistants who know how to recruit and have the talent and network to get results. BB also wanted “his people” and he hadn’t spent enough time in college football to build a personal network of contacts to overcome their lack of familiarity with FBS recruiting. PM had the same trouble. We have apparently learned our lesson for as long as the party lasts.

The school was arrogant and cynical in that we believed someone essentially off the street could come in and do it for half price using an outdated offense and truncated experience leading a college program. It failed. BB deserves blame in that, but he ain’t the only one. In retrospect, it’s better to thank him for what he gave us, than focus on the missteps and inertia that put him in charge in the first place.

Last edited:
Bill was footballs JP.. the easy popular hire that was able to get results with an existing roster, but, his own recruits took too long to develop. Monty benefitted from Bill's core group and got 2 good years out of them, but, like Bill his core wasnt ready to take over and I believe that they may not have been as good as Bills.
Could Bill have achieved what Monty did in yrs 5 and 6? We can debate that forever. But the fact remains that Monty did not achieve yr 1 and 2 success in yrs 3-8. Instead it was a pattern of mediocrity in a mediocre conference.
I believe that mediocrity in his program was tolerated by an administration on cruise control that had no vision for the future of college football, let alone TU. Had everyone in power been looking to the future rather than the status quo we may have been in a better position when the world was turned on its head. Instead we are doing a furious dog paddle to keep our heads above water and make it to shore in whatever league is left over.
Hard to disagree with any of this. Esp. that last paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawpoke87
The school didn’t give BB enough money to go hire capable and experienced assistants who know how to recruit and have the talent and network to get results. BB also wanted “his people” and he hadn’t spent enough time in college football to build a personal network of contacts to overcome their lack of familiarity with FBS recruiting. PM had the same trouble. We have apparently learned our lesson for as long as the party lasts.

The school was arrogant and cynical in that we believed someone essentially off the street could come in and do it for half price using an outdated offense and truncated experience leading a college program. It failed. BB deserves blame in that, but he ain’t the only one. In retrospect, it’s better to thank him for what he gave us, than focus on the missteps and inertia that put him in charge in the first place.
I certainly don't think anyone would disagree with what seems to be your main point, that the people who hired BB are as much at fault as BB, or even more. For sure.

But it's also hard to forget BB's year 4, or as we know it the "F you, I'm not changing anything and you can shove it if you want me to" year. It was clear things needed to change and he refused. That wasn't the admin's fault. I thought "We" - TU, the players, the fans - deserved for Bill to at least try to improve things for year 4 and he didn't. He was more focused on proving himself right, or not being told what to do or whatever, just selfishness. "We" deserved better. And yes, I know Woj was 10X worse about that, I feel the same way about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
I certainly don't think anyone would disagree with what seems to be your main point, that the people who hired BB are as much at fault as BB, or even more. For sure.

But it's also hard to forget BB's year 4, or as we know it the "F you, I'm not changing anything and you can shove it if you want me to" year. It was clear things needed to change and he refused. That wasn't the admin's fault. I thought "We" - TU, the players, the fans - deserved for Bill to at least try to improve things for year 4 and he didn't. He was more focused on proving himself right, or not being told what to do or whatever, just selfishness. "We" deserved better. And yes, I know Woj was 10X worse about that, I feel the same way about him.
Yep, Bill was a massive db about alot of things when he was the head coach here.

BB also wanted “his people” and he hadn’t spent enough time in college football to build a personal network of contacts to overcome their lack of familiarity with FBS recruiting. PM had the same trouble.
At least BB had an excuse. BB was named our HC with only a couple years as an assistant. Whereas Monty had 12 years as an assistant and OC. Granted it was with a core of a staff that coached for two different schools, but he had a lot more opportunity to make contacts.

A fair take. I suspect he wanted to make changes and was told resources were limited though.

I'm just relieved Monty's gone. The feedback from returning players is that Coach Wilson has quickly implemented a program with accountability and high expectations. Very excited for the future of our team. I'm going to make a trip up this year (maybe 2) now that Monty's gone. I've even convinced old family friends to go with me if I buy them a ticket. Can't wait!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT