ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance across FBS

TU4ever2

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Some good points in here and examples of what other schools have done to turn it around. We always end up talking about that here, so here is some great info, some historical info, and just a general overall look at what is going on in FBS stadiums generally and attendance trends

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-after-lowest-average-attendance-in-22-years/

The ACC, AAC, and MAC are the only FBS conferences who saw increased attendance. Most conferences suffered 15 year or longer low points.

Some good points in here and examples of what other schools have done to turn it around. We always end up talking about that here, so here is some great info, some historical info, and just a general overall look at what is going on in FBS stadiums generally and attendance trends

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-after-lowest-average-attendance-in-22-years/

The ACC, AAC, and MAC are the only FBS conferences who saw increased attendance. Most conferences suffered 15 year or longer low points.
Unless we put a mall in and enclose the area between the Reynold's Center and Skelly, we will continue to pull-in only the die hards (us). And I find it amazing that stores in Promenade are closing at the rate they are when the place is always packed with people. Woodland Hills too. The traffic around the mall on any given day has approached the Christmas season year round now. And people aren't buying anything that's why all the stores are closing up shop. Seriously...people go to the mall, try the clothes on they want and then go home (or heck just use the WiFi in the mall) and order them online for a fraction of the cost and free shipping. Yet, the mall is always teeming with people not really doing anything and yet we can't get people to go to a game for about what they spend on the 3 Starbucks drinks they suck down in the 3 hours they're at the mall.

Reactions: Rippin
Still say we need to move to the forefront and put dispensary’s under the east and west side stands..

Medical Marijuana dispensaries, just what the Dr ordered.
Yeah, just what we need...a quieter more mellow crowd than there already is. At least the blue hairs will be happy that there won't be as much standing and loud cheering that makes their hearing aids reverberate

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If we have the dispensaries it will soften the blow of another 2-10 season.

There's a dispensary right across the street from the Reynolds Center.

Reactions: Gold*
For medicinal purposes only, of course. Cool it with the snide "blue hair" cracks you young whipper-snappers, whiffle-snuffers. waffle-stompers, etc...

Reactions: Bill Lowery
For medicinal purposes only, of course. Cool it with the snide "blue hair" cracks you young whipper-snappers, whiffle-snuffers. waffle-stompers, etc...
HAHA. Listen, there are enough true fans who are older on this board and none of the comments on here about the blue-hairs are directed at that crowd. We all know the ones we're talking about, the ones with too much money on their hands, not enough to do, and just want to complain about everything. They yell at people who stand during key moments of the game, they yell at people who cheer. I often wonder why they attend games at all since it is apparent they don't enjoy the atmosphere.

And no one will be able to ever call me blue-hair as I pretty much have no hair. I would have some hair if I let it grow but I'm pretty much Mr/ Clean bald by choice at the moment...mostly as a preemptive strike against the impending loss and vowng to never have the forehead baby huey curl on my forehead like my dad :)

HAHA. Listen, there are enough true fans who are older on this board and none of the comments on here about the blue-hairs are directed at that crowd. We all know the ones we're talking about, the ones with too much money on their hands, not enough to do, and just want to complain about everything. They yell at people who stand during key moments of the game, they yell at people who cheer. I often wonder why they attend games at all since it is apparent they don't enjoy the atmosphere.

Just be aware that many of those elderly fans simply can't get up quickly when those key moments arise. I have a relative in her early 90s who still attends games when the weather permits. She's not very spry though and does miss some of the action from time to time. Fortunately, most fans nearby are aware of this and don't jump up in front of her too often.

All the p5 conferences saw declines. Maybe they have outpriced themselves.

Its about the experience.

Navy is a great example, 70% of their crowd is probably not related in any way to the Academy. They have an incredible experience though, some of that is tradition, some of it is marketing, a lot of it is paying attention to what attracts people to other venues and replicating it.

Tulsa could and has done some of it, we are still struggling to cultivate a deep relationship with the community and that along with poor on field performance is hurting our efforts to improve the attendance.

We are doing much better on developing the experience and hopefully that will continue to improve. I have no doubt our staff is doing their best to get better on the field and hope they do or we make the necessary changes to be competitive. The school needs to continue to strengthen what community ties it does have, extend others, and improve over all on selling the school to the average Tulsan.

All the p5 conferences saw declines. Maybe they have outpriced themselves.

Its about the experience.

Navy is a great example, 70% of their crowd is probably not related in any way to the Academy. They have an incredible experience though, some of that is tradition, some of it is marketing, a lot of it is paying attention to what attracts people to other venues and replicating it.

Tulsa could and has done some of it, we are still struggling to cultivate a deep relationship with the community and that along with poor on field performance is hurting our efforts to improve the attendance.

We are doing much better on developing the experience and hopefully that will continue to improve. I have no doubt our staff is doing their best to get better on the field and hope they do or we make the necessary changes to be competitive. The school needs to continue to strengthen what community ties it does have, extend others, and improve over all on selling the school to the average Tulsan.
We have to have a more active marketing campaign. It is very passive right now. There’s little on air stuff either radio or TV, and there is not the targeted ad campaigns on Facebook or Twitter as much. This is the ADs job. He needs to cultivate that relationship with the community. Why aren’t players and coaches going into schools with handfuls of tickets to give the kids. You give the kid a free ticket and make the parent pay for theirs. You give a 5-10 year old a ticket to a game and invite them they will bug their parents non-stop to go to the game.

You know what else? ORU doesn’t have a football team. Neither does TCC. TU should partner with these schools and offer some discounted tickets. Yeah, you’re not going to get ORU students to transfer to TU this way, that’s fine. They’d just be extra bodies in the stands. However, partner with TCC and give their students an experience at TU and you might just get some extra students out of the deal as well as some extra fans.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
We have to have a more active marketing campaign. It is very passive right now. There’s little on air stuff either radio or TV, and there is not the targeted ad campaigns on Facebook or Twitter as much. This is the ADs job. He needs to cultivate that relationship with the community. Why aren’t players and coaches going into schools with handfuls of tickets to give the kids. You give the kid a free ticket and make the parent pay for theirs. You give a 5-10 year old a ticket to a game and invite them they will bug their parents non-stop to go to the game.

You know what else? ORU doesn’t have a football team. Neither does TCC. TU should partner with these schools and offer some discounted tickets. Yeah, you’re not going to get ORU students to transfer to TU this way, that’s fine. They’d just be extra bodies in the stands. However, partner with TCC and give their students an experience at TU and you might just get some extra students out of the deal as well as some extra fans.
I think you are definitely right. We need to do whatever it takes to fix our attendance problem and in the short term selling tickets cheap and giving them away doesn’t help the program much, however, it creates new fans who in the long run could potentially become season ticket holders and become lifelong TU fans.

I’m n
Just be aware that many of those elderly fans simply can't get up quickly when those key moments arise. I have a relative in her early 90s who still attends games when the weather permits. She's not very spry though and does miss some of the action from time to time. Fortunately, most fans nearby are aware of this and don't jump up in front of her too often.
I’m not that elderly (67) and I used to jump up with the best of them but since my bout with Guillian-Barre in 2015, and the resulting nerve damage, if I get up at all I have to get up slowly. It’s also impossible to stand for any significant period of time. If I get a chance to attend a TU sporting event again, most likely basketball, I’ll be cheering just as loud as anyone from my seat but I hope you understand if I get upset if someone decides they need to stand to watch the game instead of using their seat. It’s fun to rail about “blue hairs” but a lot of us have legitimate issues but still like to be fans.

I’m n

I’m not that elderly (67) and I used to jump up with the best of them but since my bout with Guillian-Barre in 2015, and the resulting nerve damage, if I get up at all I have to get up slowly. It’s also impossible to stand for any significant period of time. If I get a chance to attend a TU sporting event again, most likely basketball, I’ll be cheering just as loud as anyone from my seat but I hope you understand if I get upset if someone decides they need to stand to watch the game instead of using their seat. It’s fun to rail about “blue hairs” but a lot of us have legitimate issues but still like to be fans.
Understood. And I know that we have some older fans. Heck we sit where we do for 2 reasons...my wife doesn't like to stand the entire game and there's some extra space for my kids to talk and ramble and not piss other people off. But we also don't get upset if there are people in front who do choose to stand. And TBH, most fans are courteous enough to ask people behind them if they can see or if it's OK when they're standing. Not all, but most. I know we always did or tried but we had the same tickets for years and knew the people around us well.

Where we run into problems are when new fans come and try to get into the game and are run off by fans who think they are entitled to a nice relaxed atmosphere during a tense game.

Just be the first school to offer $5 tickets at half for those who can’t sit in a stadium for 4 hours who might only want to come in for a couple hours. Getting casuals who don’t care about the school to sit at a football game for 4 hours is going to be a tough sale now days.

Just be the first school to offer $5 tickets at half for those who can’t sit in a stadium for 4 hours who might only want to come in for a couple hours. Getting casuals who don’t care about the school to sit at a football game for 4 hours is going to be a tough sale now days.
I'd start offering that for everyone who comes in after kick-off...just make it only available on the east side for TV purposes

Reactions: nevadanatural
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT