ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas Game Payout

For awhile people been down on Haith, check this out.

Haith four seasons won 60 percent of games. One losing season.
Monty in fourth season won 43 percent so far. Probably two losing seasons.

One is closing in on 300 career wins. The other stuck on 19.

I am hesitant to look at games won in basketball. Wojcik made sure he got his 20 win bonus by careful scheduling.

I am hesitant to look at games won in basketball. Wojcik made sure he got his 20 win bonus by careful scheduling.
True but so far we have only beat Central Arkansas. We have blown two chances for wins that would have been nice. Monty seems like a nice guy but is going the wrong way.

Different games completely. It’s a lot easier to win against bad teams in basketball than it is in football. The disparity in the talent level is a lot higher when TU plays Stetson than when TU plays UConn in football and that doesn’t change much with coaches.

Also, Haith and Monty have won the exact same number of post season games at TU. #sad

Different games completely. It’s a lot easier to win against bad teams in basketball than it is in football. The disparity in the talent level is a lot higher when TU plays Stetson than when TU plays UConn in football and that doesn’t change much with coaches.
TU also plays UConn in basketball.:) and Monty has never been National Coach of the Year. Maybe he will win it this year. That post season game was against who?

No I was asking who we played in the bowl game, I think it was Michigan Central.

It was that team that went to Stillwater and beat Okie State. Something we haven't done since 1951.

TU also plays UConn in basketball.:) and Monty has never been National Coach of the Year. Maybe he will win it this year. That post season game was against who?
Maybe if Monty had inherited a top 16 (like Haith at Mizzou) team he could have been a coach of the year. Instead he inherited a team that won 5 games in two seasons and immediately took them to the post season.

Then he got his players and hasn't won an FCS game in a year.

Weird you're so high Monty and so low on Haith.
FBS.

I think Monty taking over for Bill showed, that given the right players and the right system improvement can certainly happen. I think Monty has low talented junior and senior skill players on offense and it's hurting his offense's production. But I've also seen him completely turn the program around, so I'll give him some more credit than Bill who took over a good team and turned it bad. I think he deserves one more year to see if he can repeat his achievements with Dane. It's a speculatory view, but I still think Monty has a coaching fire left in him. I could absolutely see us firing him prematurely, then him going to a top tier P5 school as an OC... lighting the world on fire with his offense again... and getting a "better" job than TU. I just want to see if he can figure out how to put the right players in the right spots to succeed again.

As far as Haith goes, he took over a program that looked to be on the rise and turned it mediocre by repeatedly making really odd personnel (coaching, redshirting, and recruiting) decisions. His reliance on transfers, JUCO's, and yearly player dismissals has yet to garner post season success. In my opinion this year should be his last year to prove he can get to the NCAA tournament round of 64. That's the standard we should have at TU and missing it for 5 straight seasons would be unacceptable.

Basically there are two different standards at TU. We should, theoretically be able to be much more competitive in Basketball than football. I think bowl games and the round of 64 should be the desired success standard for both programs respectively. Monty's achieved his would-be-goals twice. Haith hasn't yet achieved his.

Often in recent years since there are around 40 bowl games teams that are six and six wind up in a bowl game, (sometimes five wins) that could mean in the 76 teams go to a bowl out of 120 assuming that they can have five or six wins . Not so in basketball where there are 300+ teams playing and only 60 some odd bid to the big dance. The more recent first four in Dayton it's I believe 66.

63 percent of football teams go to a bowl. 21 percent of basketball teams go to the dance another 32 go to NIT or about another 10 percent. The rest of the tournaments body follows. It is at least twice as hard to get into the postseason in basketball as it is in football .

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Often in recent years since there are around 40 bowl games teams that are six and six wind up in a bowl game, (sometimes five wins) that could mean in the 76 teams go to a bowl out of 120 assuming that they can have five or six wins . Not so in basketball where there are 300+ teams playing and only 60 some odd bid to the big dance. The more recent first four in Dayton it's I believe 66.

63 percent of football teams go to a bowl. 21 percent of basketball teams go to the dance another 32 go to NIT or about another 10 percent. The rest of the tournaments body follows. It is at least twice as hard to get into the postseason in basketball as it is in football .
Yes, but in basketball you have 351 teams vying for 15 players a piece (5265 players) out of the entire talent pool of the US as well as Canada, and overseas. In football you have 129 teams each vying for ~85 players (roughly 11,000 players) out of the entire talent pool of a handful of football playing states. It's much harder to recruit a good team that will be good for an extended period of time in football than it is in basketball.

It's easier for a small school like Tulsa to be decent at basketball than it is football. I'm not saying that's an excuse for Monty... it's just a detractor for Haith.

Yes, but in basketball you have 351 teams vying for 15 players a piece (5265 players) out of the entire talent pool of the US as well as Canada, and overseas. In football you have 129 teams each vying for ~85 players (roughly 11,000 players) out of the entire talent pool of a handful of football playing states. It's much harder to recruit a good team that will be good for an extended period of time in football than it is in basketball.

It's easier for a small school like Tulsa to be decent at basketball than it is football. I'm not saying that's an excuse for Monty... it's just a detractor for Haith.
A hand full of football States??? According to Maxpreps all 50 states and DC have football, as do prep schools. The coaches job includes finding them and developing them. Monty has done poorly in this part. He must then come up with a game plan and call good plays on both sides of the ball. After that he must make corrections as needed and in a timely manner. As far as a talent pool the number one is Texas for football. It is always a source for Oklahoma schools. Some of our coaches have done better than others.

A hand full of football States??? According to Maxpreps all 50 states and DC have football, as do prep schools. The coaches job includes finding them and developing them. Monty has done poorly in this part. He must then come up with a game plan and call good plays on both sides of the ball. After that he must make corrections as needed and in a timely manner. As far as a talent pool the number one is Texas for football. It is always a source for Oklahoma schools. Some of our coaches have done better than others.
How many kids are coming from Vermont to play football at one of the FBS schools vs playing basketball at a D1 school?

When Haith took over it was a program on the rise? There was not much talent on those teams. I know how you think Shaq and Woodard was 2 of the greatest players in history but be realistic.

When Haith took over it was a program on the rise? There was not much talent on those teams. I know how you think Shaq and Woodard was 2 of the greatest players in history but be realistic.
If we had stayed in C-USA, we would have won three straight conference titles and had three straight NCAA appearances. So yeah I think it was a program on the rise. As it was, We were playing for the regular season title against SMU on the final day of the season in our first year in the American Athletic Conference. We went dancing the next season. Yeah I’d say that was a real good roster and dare I say it, could have beaten Jerome Jordan & Uzoh’s team. ESPECIALLY with wojcik coaching Jordan & Uzoh.

I’ve pointed this out multiple times, but the last two/three classes that Bill recruited did not pan out. Too many players failed out or got in trouble or weren’t good enough to play here. Look at how small this year’s senior class is. This is a group that was actually mostly Bill’s. Now look at how many skilled players up and down the roster are in their first couple of seasons seeing meaningful playing time. Bill’s late stage recruiting set us back big time but the future is super bright for Monty’s recruits. This top notch defense is almost exclusively Monty’s guys. And on offense, the only seniors are on the offensive line (and tight end). That’s a great sign! Growth is happening. It doesn’t change over night. But this team is demonstrably better than a year ago. You’ll see it down the stretch. I have zero doubts.

I’ve pointed this out multiple times, but the last two/three classes that Bill recruited did not pan out. Too many players failed out or got in trouble or weren’t good enough to play here. Look at how small this year’s senior class is. This is a group that was actually mostly Bill’s. Now look at how many skilled players up and down the roster are in their first couple of seasons seeing meaningful playing time. Bill’s late stage recruiting set us back big time but the future is super bright for Monty’s recruits. This top notch defense is almost exclusively Monty’s guys. And on offense, the only seniors are on the offensive line (and tight end). That’s a great sign! Growth is happening. It doesn’t change over night. But this team is demonstrably better than a year ago. You’ll see it down the stretch. I have zero doubts.

This was Monty's class not Blankenship. Of course I think Kragthorpe kept one recruit from Burns. He was a pretty good player so there is that evaluation thing.

Let me repeat it for the people in the back. We played Texas straight up, we played USF straight up, handled Houston's talent just fine.

We are losing because of coaching decisions, not our talent level. We don't do the little things good teams have to do to win. Good teams win close games. Monty's teams do not.

Reactions: GOB10 and TUMe
This was Monty's class not Blankenship. Of course I think Kragthorpe kept one recruit from Burns. He was a pretty good player so there is that evaluation thing.

Let me repeat it for the people in the back. We played Texas straight up, we played USF straight up, handled Houston's talent just fine.

We are losing because of coaching decisions, not our talent level. We don't do the little things good teams have to do to win. Good teams win close games. Monty's teams do not.
One could argue that if we had a little more talent, we could have handily beaten those teams outright rather than "playing them straight up". I think Monty with Dane, Brewer, Lucas, and Atkinson would have trounced all those teams this season.

As for the class, a lot of that class was already in place when Monty got here or was part of a short recruiting cycle.

FBS.

I think Monty taking over for Bill showed, that given the right players and the right system improvement can certainly happen. I think Monty has low talented junior and senior skill players on offense and it's hurting his offense's production. But I've also seen him completely turn the program around, so I'll give him some more credit than Bill who took over a good team and turned it bad. I think he deserves one more year to see if he can repeat his achievements with Dane. It's a speculatory view, but I still think Monty has a coaching fire left in him. I could absolutely see us firing him prematurely, then him going to a top tier P5 school as an OC... lighting the world on fire with his offense again... and getting a "better" job than TU. I just want to see if he can figure out how to put the right players in the right spots to succeed again.

As far as Haith goes, he took over a program that looked to be on the rise and turned it mediocre by repeatedly making really odd personnel (coaching, redshirting, and recruiting) decisions. His reliance on transfers, JUCO's, and yearly player dismissals has yet to garner post season success. In my opinion this year should be his last year to prove he can get to the NCAA tournament round of 64. That's the standard we should have at TU and missing it for 5 straight seasons would be unacceptable.

Basically there are two different standards at TU. We should, theoretically be able to be much more competitive in Basketball than football. I think bowl games and the round of 64 should be the desired success standard for both programs respectively. Monty's achieved his would-be-goals twice. Haith hasn't yet achieved his.

FBS, yea. Hate the new names.

Anyway,
So it’s OK for Monte to lose because of coaching but norm Haith?

In terms of post season, I look at going to a bowl at 6-6 as a much lower accomplishment than an NCAA play in game.

Am I thrilled with Haith? No. But, he’s not on my firing radar.

Reactions: TUMe and TU4ever2
FBS, yea. Hate the new names.

Anyway,
So it’s OK for Monte to lose because of coaching but norm Haith?

In terms of post season, I look at going to a bowl at 6-6 as a much lower accomplishment than an NCAA play in game.

Am I thrilled with Haith? No. But, he’s not on my firing radar.
I would say taking a team that had won 2 games the prior season to a bowl game where you play really well against a decent ACC team would be about as impressive as taking a team full of upper class men who had already been to a NCAA tournament to another one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT