ADVERTISEMENT

Any free agent contracts?

Nothing reported yet, according to a list I just looked at. This is extremely disappointing. It would have to be the first time in TU history that no free agent rookies have signed. Although, granted, it is a lot harder to get signed these days with roster limits. Back in the 1970's, I remember the Dallas Cowboys signing 90 rookie free agents.

I can't believe someone like Jeremy Smith can't even get an invite. The pro scouts seemed to like Jesse Brubaker as an H-Back. It's too bad D'Angelo Brewer's 40 time was a 4.8. The coaches thought Evan Plagg could play in the NFL.

The only TU sightings on the NFL draft I saw, and I fast forwarded mostly, were two touchdowns scored in the northeast corner of Chapman. One was a touchdown by Anthony Miller of Memphis, drafted in the second round, 51st pick. The other was a pass by quarterback Mike White, drafted by the Cowboys in the fifth round out of Western Kentucky. Coincidentally, Western Kentucky beat Memphis a year ago in a bowl game.

White's pass was in 2014 when he was playing for South Florida. I looked up his stats. He finished 17 of 26 for 272 yards and three touchdowns and one interception. Tulsa led the game 27-7 at halftime but lost 38-30. Dane completed 22 of 34 for 314 yards. White was really good after transferring. USF was 4-8 in 2014.

Walk-on Austin McDaniels had a pick six off of White to open the scoring.
Keevan Lucas caught 11 passes for 160 yards.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
There was also a Baker Mayfield highlight when we played them in Norman in 2015.

Unfortunately Jeremy Smith wasn’t nearly as productive as he needed to be coming off that leg injury from 2016.

Tyler Bowling could be a pretty interesting prospect if he tests well. He’s got crazy size and smarts. Trevis Gipson has looked the part since Day 1. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do. And Justin Hobbs is the only WR we’ve had recently without an injury history. Finally there is Whitfield. Ultra productive, just a matter of where he fits in an NFL system.

Jeremy Smith would have been invite to a camp, but he decided he was done with football and did not even participate in TU Pro Day.

Dane was QB4 of 4 at Tiger-Cats mini camp. The starter is solid but QB2-4 is up for grabs. With Manziel out of the picture and Jerry Effing Glanville running the defense in practice, Dane has a shot. Camp starts May 20. June Jones won’t name a backup until after all preseason games.

I hope he gets a genuine shot. Maybe an extra year of training and rehab will make a difference in his cutting ability.
He was a try out player for the rookie mini camp. The Redskins drafted and brought in a ridiculous number of WRs. While the position is wide open in terms of depth chart, he isn’t even on the depth chart. In terms of pecking order, he’s in a pack of six guys trying to get a chance to work more than a weekend. Even if he gets a true camp invite after this weekend, he’s got a long way to go to getting paid. He legit may have to beat out eight or ten other guys, a few of them drafted, just to get a bench/practice spot.

Dane was QB4 of 4 at Tiger-Cats mini camp. The starter is solid but QB2-4 is up for grabs. With Manziel out of the picture and Jerry Effing Glanville running the defense in practice, Dane has a shot. Camp starts May 20. June Jones won’t name a backup until after all preseason games.
Manziel signs. The chances of Dane being anything more than a camp arm are low I would guess judging by reports from Hamilton’s staff.

The intrawebs are saying Keevan signed with the Edmonton Eskimos yesterday ...

I think Keevan could do well in the CFL. More room to roam along with his athleticism and good hands could be a good combination.

Reactions: ShaneB72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT