ADVERTISEMENT

Amtrak

Tulsa to Dallas, Saint Louis, and KC would be super cool. Get 'er done.

I posted about this earlier this year. The FRA comment period is over but you can contact your state and federal representatives if you support this. Tell them to redirect highway funds to get this moving in earnest.

For example we spend billions in state funds on highways. Take just 10% for a few years and the passenger rail segments can be ready to go at least for the to/from Tulsa segments.

Reactions: T_Hans
I'm pretty excited to be able to take the train from Minneapolis to Tulsa, tho I'll probably be dead before it actually happens. That's a boring a$$ drive. And too long to be pleasant but not long enough to break up.

Reactions: T_Hans and drboobay
I'm pretty excited to be able to take the train from Minneapolis to Tulsa, tho I'll probably be dead before it actually happens. That's a boring a$$ drive. And too long to be pleasant but not long enough to break up.
I was incorrect and the FRA study comments page is still up.

Comment away! Tell them you want faster implementation on this route.

I posted about this earlier this year. The FRA comment period is over but you can contact your state and federal representatives if you support this. Tell them to redirect highway funds to get this moving in earnest.

For example we spend billions in state funds on highways. Take just 10% for a few years and the passenger rail segments can be ready to go at least for the to/from Tulsa segments.
I am not sure taking away highway funding is the way to go. We maintain 7,000 nuclear weapons and it is the single largest defense weapons project to update them at over 1 Trillion dollars. We don't need more than 1,000. It is ridiculous. You don't need to nuke Moscow, Beijing, Shanghai, Tehran, Saint Petersburg, Shenzen, Pyongyang, and their aircraft carriers 100 times each.

I am not sure taking away highway funding is the way to go. We maintain 7,000 nuclear weapons and it is the single largest defense weapons project to update them at over 1 Trillion dollars. We don't need more than 1,000. It is ridiculous. You don't need to nuke Moscow, Beijing, Shanghai, Tehran, Saint Petersburg, Shenzen, Pyongyang, and their aircraft carriers 100 times each.
I am talking about state infrastructure funding. Two years of 10% would get most of it done within the state. But there is a lack of will. And vested construction interests colliding with OTA to suppress this type of transportation alternative.

We have gotten dead silence from politicians at every level on this issue excepting one person - mayoral candidate and TU alum Monroe Nichols. Monroe has taken a genuine interest in this issue, so if you want to see passenger rail in Tulsa, consider voting for him.

Dead silence from every other local, state and federal official I contacted. Not even courtesy of a reply. Just contempt for constituents.

We have gotten dead silence from politicians at every level on this issue excepting one person - mayoral candidate and TU alum Monroe Nichols. Monroe has taken a genuine interest in this issue, so if you want to see passenger rail in Tulsa, consider voting for him.

Dead silence from every other local, state and federal official I contacted. Not even courtesy of a reply. Just contempt for constituents.
I'm surprised Karen Kieth didn't at least reply.

Meanwhile, the Amtrak app doesn’t function at all well compared to apps for other modes of transportation like airlines.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane

Tulsa doesn’t rank in the Top 50 of most populated cities. It doesn’t matter what politicians think or tell you.

Tulsa doesn’t rank in the Top 50 of most populated cities. It doesn’t matter what politicians think or tell you.
We are in the top 50 populated cities. Just outside the top 50 populated metros.

Anyway, politics is everything here. The Tulsa to OKC route is state mandated for example but politicians have sabotaged it or ignored it for decades.

Reactions: TUMU
We are in the top 50 populated cities. Just outside the top 50 populated metros.

Anyway, politics is everything here. The Tulsa to OKC route is state mandated for example but politicians have sabotaged it or ignored it for decades.
Lots of smaller cities have service.

Reactions: drboobay

It doesn’t matter how you phrase it, Tulsa doesn’t have enough people to justify service.

Just reading the tea leaves from a few articles on the subject, Tulsa does not appear to be on a priority list for Amtrak expansion. Am I misreading the current situation ?

Just reading the tea leaves from a few articles on the subject, Tulsa does not appear to be on a priority list for Amtrak expansion. Am I misreading the current situation ?
Correct. There are well defined metrics. If you don’t meet the baseline, you don’t move on to the next round of consideration. There simply aren’t enough people in Tulsa, Metro Tulsa or NE Oklahoma to merit service over other areas. Tulsa has known this since statehood. It’s why it promoted itself as an aviation hub until transcontinental flight became routine.

Correct. There are well defined metrics. If you don’t meet the baseline, you don’t move on to the next round of consideration. There simply aren’t enough people in Tulsa, Metro Tulsa or NE Oklahoma to merit service over other areas. Tulsa has known this since statehood. It’s why it promoted itself as an aviation hub until transcontinental flight became routine.
I disagree. You are oversimolifying a complex situation.

At the end of the day, there are many, many smaller communities than Tulsa with service. You are simply trying to dismiss the discussion without a basis. Amtrak focusing on the top 50 metros is not sufficient when we sit so close to the line. We are close enough that advocacy can matter if we had receptive politicians.

Reactions: TU 1978
Here are some facts for perspective.

Tulsa Metro is 1.05 million, 54th largest USMetro. Amtrak is focusing mostly on service restoration to the top 50. Buffalo NY is number 50 at 1.15 million and they have service.

But there are many metros just below 50 that have service. Example is Tuscon AZ at 1.06 million people at number 52. Also Omaha NE metro is number 56 and has 0.98 million people and an Amtrak station.

IF Amtrak's existing plan is executed, Tulsa will be the largest metro in the US without passenger rail, with many smaller communities having it. That's not a good place to be when there is a renewed interest and investment in our country's passenger rail infrastructure.

No doubt this is greatly associated with political will. But we get what we vote for.

Here are some facts for perspective.

Tulsa Metro is 1.05 million, 54th largest USMetro. Amtrak is focusing mostly on service restoration to the top 50. Buffalo NY is number 50 at 1.15 million and they have service.

But there are many metros just below 50 that have service. Example is Tuscon AZ at 1.06 million people at number 52. Also Omaha NE metro is number 56 and has 0.98 million people and an Amtrak station.

IF Amtrak's existing plan is executed, Tulsa will be the largest metro in the US without passenger rail, with many smaller communities having it. That's not a good place to be when there is a renewed interest and investment in our country's passenger rail infrastructure.

No doubt this is greatly associated with political will. But we get what we vote for.
Based on other routes, they seem to pick the "anchor" stops and then fill in with places in between. They might say, we want to go from St. Paul to Chicago to Kansas City to OKC to Dallas, what's along that route that's worth serving, or where we can get some political support if we service? I assume that's how Little Rock ended up on the Texas Eagle route between St. Louis and Dallas. That train actually has 6 stops in Arkansas alone.

But then some just seem not to have anything to do with population at all. I'm having a little trouble explaining the proposed new Chicago to Moline to Iowa City route under the population theory? Iowa City and Moline together are under 150k population. How about Minneapolis to Duluth? Duluth's population is under 100k and it is farther from Minneapolis than Tulsa is from OKC.

The Heartland Flyer from OKC to Dallas stops in 5 places in Oklahoma. How can you go from Kansas City to Topeka to Wichita to OKC and not go to Tulsa?

Based on other routes, they seem to pick the "anchor" stops and then fill in with places in between. They might say, we want to go from St. Paul to Chicago to Kansas City to OKC to Dallas, what's along that route that's worth serving, or where we can get some political support if we service? I assume that's how Little Rock ended up on the Texas Eagle route between St. Louis and Dallas. That train actually has 6 stops in Arkansas alone.

But then some just seem not to have anything to do with population at all. I'm having a little trouble explaining the proposed new Chicago to Moline to Iowa City route under the population theory? Iowa City and Moline together are under 150k population. How about Minneapolis to Duluth? Duluth's population is under 100k and it is farther from Minneapolis than Tulsa is from OKC.

The Heartland Flyer from OKC to Dallas stops in 5 places in Oklahoma. How can you go from Kansas City to Topeka to Wichita to OKC and not go to Tulsa?
Any chance they’re looking at the passenger numbers in OKC and determining adding Tulsa would not be economically feasible based on the experience in OKC?

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Any chance they’re looking at the passenger numbers in OKC and determining adding Tulsa would not be economically feasible based on the experience in OKC?
Could be, I have no idea, but I definitely agree that seems like a reasonable thing if so.

But do we think more people would go from Milwaukee to Green Bay, or Minneapolis to Duluth, than OKC to Tulsa? I have no idea other than Duluth and Green Bay are a lot smaller than Tulsa. I really don't know but the non-political explanations don't seem to explain some of the other routes.

Do we think more people would go from Wichita to OKC than Tulsa to OKC? Wichita has a current depot so I'm sure it's cheaper than adding in Tulsa but I doubt the traffic will be greater than Tulsa.

This will make drboobay go crazy - "Heartland Flyer Extension, Connecting Kansas communities with the Amtrak network". Maybe they think the Ponca City stop is close enough for Tulsa?? 😂 There will be like 9 Amtrak stops in Oklahoma but not one in Tulsa.

Last edited:
Yes and that is unfortunate. Our leaders have made it pretty clear they don't care about it. And they have a lot of influence.

For example our district one Congressman Kevin Turd has made a point of trying to kill Amtrak altogether.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Last edited:
Could be, I have no idea, but I definitely agree that seems like a reasonable thing if so.

But do we think more people would go from Milwaukee to Green Bay, or Minneapolis to Duluth, than OKC to Tulsa? I have no idea other than Duluth and Green Bay are a lot smaller than Tulsa. I really don't know but the non-political explanations don't seem to explain some of the other routes.

Do we think more people would go from Wichita to OKC than Tulsa to OKC? Wichita has a current depot so I'm sure it's cheaper than adding in Tulsa but I doubt the traffic will be greater than Tulsa.

This will make drboobay go crazy - "Heartland Flyer Extension, Connecting Kansas communities with the Amtrak network". Maybe they think the Ponca City stop is close enough for Tulsa?? 😂 There will be like 9 Amtrak stops in Oklahoma but not one in Tulsa.

I know about this. It is sickening and perpetuates a broken promise encoded in a 1996 law.

This route is being funded by Oklahoma too. It's a true betrayal of 40 percent of the state. As usual.

Last edited:
Yes and that is unfortunate. Our leaders have made it pretty clear they don't care about it. And they have a lot of influence.

For example our district one Congressman Kevin Turd has made a point of trying to kill Amtrak altogether.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?
You’re obviously very passionate about this subject. May I ask why? Is there something more here than simply supporting Amtrak?

Florida said no to public funds for high speed rail. Private companies built it anyway. It’s wonderful. If Tulsa can support rail, a private company would build a high speed spur tomorrow.

You’re obviously very passionate about this subject. May I ask why? Is there something more here than simply supporting Amtrak?
I feel passionate about state government showing appropriate respect and support for the Tulsa metro.

I was following the news back in the late 90s when the state decided to fund the Heartland Flyer. Tulsa was promised to be next up for service. It was even codified into law. I take this kind of betrayal personally.

I love Tulsa the way so many New Yorkers love New York. I carry this enthusiasm everywhere I travel. We should be second fiddle to nobody when it comes to funding and prioritizing a service common to Americans.

All this plus I am as stubborn as a pit bull and I hate driving.

Again to be specific...

The Oklahoma Tourism and Passenger Rail Act is now 28-years old. I remember when it passed. And pit bull that I am, will keep reminding term limited lawmakers it needs enacting. I believe in accountability.

§66-322. Purpose.
The purpose of the Oklahoma Tourism and Passenger Rail Act shall be to do all things necessary to restore passenger rail service to the state, to enhance the state's position as a tourist destination site and to improve the quality of life for residents of this state by offering an alternative mode of intrastate and interstate travel.
Added by Laws 1996, c. 255, § 2, eff. July 1, 1996.

§66-323. Definitions.
As used in this act:
<snip...>
6. "Passenger rail service" shall mean interstate or intrastate passenger rail service, including but not limited to a route linking stations in Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties with other primary points in the national railroad passenger system.
Added by Laws 1996, c. 255, § 3, eff. July 1, 1996.

Title 66 - Railroads

I feel passionate about state government showing appropriate respect and support for the Tulsa metro.

I was following the news back in the late 90s when the state decided to fund the Heartland Flyer. Tulsa was promised to be next up for service. It was even codified into law. I take this kind of betrayal personally.

I love Tulsa the way so many New Yorkers love New York. I carry this enthusiasm everywhere I travel. We should be second fiddle to nobody when it comes to funding and prioritizing a service common to Americans.

All this plus I am as stubborn as a pit bull and I hate driving.
It feels pretty clearly like an F U to Tulsa. The state, whoever that is, seems to want OKC to be a national powerhouse city and at best don't want that for Tulsa.

That was an anti-Masonic beef that you progressives had a problem with back then.
Wait, we had a problem with the Masons or a problem with the beef with the Masons? The Catholic church seems to be the biggest haters of Masons these days, I guess Masons have moved on from just alienating progressives? I didn't even know I should have a beef with them. I'll add them to my checklist when you let me know which side I'm on.

I'd never even heard of Masons before I moved to Boston. Dumpsters everywhere tagged with "Free Masons Suck!". My wife and I were like, what the he%% does that even mean? Now I now it's just old school QAnon and deep state.

"Train don't stop here, unless you're cattle or a hog. Nearest people train is in Stubbville." -- Owen in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Wait, we had a problem with the Masons or a problem with the beef with the Masons? The Catholic church seems to be the biggest haters of Masons these days, I guess Masons have moved on from just alienating progressives? I didn't even know I should have a beef with them. I'll add them to my checklist when you let me know which side I'm on.

I'd never even heard of Masons before I moved to Boston. Dumpsters everywhere tagged with "Free Masons Suck!". My wife and I were like, what the he%% does that even mean? Now I now it's just old school QAnon and deep state.
A large portion of the early monied establishment of Oklahoma were masons. Progressives in that era sought the diffusion of power, including elite clubs like the Masons that were perceived as stacking the deck against the rest of society.

They arguably controlled the insurance companies and therefore controlled who could build what where was a popular notion — not without some anecdotal support.

It was also a GOP stronghold. Gaylord and Democratic politicians chartered several free trains to bring people from the countryside to OKC to vote in the statewide referendum. OKC was in a real estate boom and people were happy to vote it as the capital in exchange for what was for some the only trip to a town in their lives. Oklahoma was dominated by the Democratic Party for the next 90 years and GOP membership plummeted in part due to the depression. 90 years of racism and cronyism ensued in a one party state.

And the Masons in Guthrie took over the newly constructed state Capitol building, where they still meet today.

Last edited:
It feels pretty clearly like an F U to Tulsa. The state, whoever that is, seems to want OKC to be a national powerhouse city and at best don't want that for Tulsa.
Amtrak would be a nice addition. It links up well with lots of other cities that OKC doesn't. We need people to raise hell and be advocates. Tom Cole is the chair of the friggin' appropriations committee. He needs to appropriate.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
A large portion of the early monied establishment of Oklahoma were masons. Progressives in that era sought the diffusion of power, including elite clubs like the Masons that were perceived as stacking the deck against the rest of society.

They arguably controlled the insurance companies and therefore controlled who could build what where was a popular notion — not without some anecdotal support.

It was also a GOP stronghold. Gaylord and Democratic politicians chartered several free trains to bring people from the countryside to OKC to vote in the statewide referendum. OKC was in a real estate boom and people were happy to vote it as the capital in exchange for what was for some the only trip to a town in their lives. Oklahoma was dominated by the Democratic Party for the next 90 years and GOP membership plummeted in part due to the depression. 90 years of racism and cronyism ensued in a one party state.

And the Masons in Guthrie took over the newly constructed state Capitol building, where they still meet today.
What do you know, rich people screwing non-rich people. Ironic that trains were used in a way that 100+ years later is foiling a plan to get trains. How sad would it be to only get one trip to a city in your life and have it be OKC?

Do you think it'll take another 90 years, or did people learn their lesson - "90 years of racism and cronyism ensued in a one party state."

• Haha
What do you know, rich people screwing non-rich people. Ironic that trains were used in a way that 100+ years later is foiling a plan to get trains. How sad would it be to only get one trip to a city in your life and have it be OKC?

Do you think it'll take another 90 years, or did people learn their lesson - "90 years of racism and cronyism ensued in a one party state."
Is there a reason why poor people can’t take a bus to visit other cities ? Not sure I follow the reasoning here as there appears to be other alternatives to trains.

Is there a reason why poor people can’t take a bus to visit other cities ? Not sure I follow the reasoning here as there appears to be other alternatives to trains.
It's incredibly slow and uncomfortable when you're talking Greyhound or similar. High speed rail would give options to travel long distances with only slightly longer travel times than travelling by air.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's incredibly slow and uncomfortable when you're talking Greyhound or similar. High speed rail would give options to travel long distances with only slightly longer travel times than travelling by air.
It would be nice to have alternatives to air. The aeroplane industry does not want this.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT