ADVERTISEMENT

ACT's and TU...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
My 16 year old nephew is taking a tour of TU. He just finished his sophomore year in H.S. and has scored a 33 on his ACT. Does anyone know the cutoff for a full academic scholly?
This post was edited on 6/1 9:41 AM by TU Sepp

If he can replicate that performance on his PSAT, the kid is made in the shade.

He took his PSAT either as a freshman or 1st semester sophomore and scored well on it. I am not sure what the numbers were for each section or the overall thou. I'll ask his dad.

If he takes the ACT again he could bump his score up some more but regardless a 33 is pretty freakin good even by TU's standards. He should have no problem getting a very large academic scholarship. I would also look into the Presidential Scholarship at TU.

IIRC, they stopped giving presidential scholarships to non-national merit scholars in 2006. That may have changed back since 2009 though.

I made a mistake...

He took a study class his freshman year. This Sept/Oct he will be taking his PSAT. In the spring he will take his ACT again. When he visited KU last fall the guide there told him that guaranteed full schollies at KU started with a score of 34.

So he will take another ACT study session in hopes of improving his score to 34 or 35. Since his family was in town for a semi-family reunion his dad scheduled a tour of TU for him.

The ACT is normally viewed as one of several requirements for admissions. Overall, performance on the PSAT then SAT is more likely to get a scholarship at most Universities and Colleges. The only path to being a Merit Finalist or Scholar is via the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT.

While the tests have changed (as well as preparation since now they have preparatory courses for the PSAT and SAT) the process remains pretty much the same:

1. Take PSAT/NMSQT and do well. Typically the top 2.5% - 3.5% puts the student into the pool to be a National Merit Semifinalist. This step (the PSAT) is a prerequisite to being a National Merit Finalist or Scholar.

2. After a few months, the NMSC (National Merit Scholarship Corporation) weeds out roughly 2/3 of the candidates and sends them a Letter of Commendation. That group is screwed and the remaining 1% get to be National Merit Semifinalists. Only NM Semifinalists can be in the pool for NM Finalist or Scholar. The NM Semifinalists are selected on a state by state basis using test scores ... so you are in competition only against others in your state at this point.

3. Next, take the SAT and do as well or even better than your PSAT results. This both serves to provide an additional level of competition and as a way to confirm the candidate's performance on the PSAT.

4. After the SAT, roughly .5% of the initial pool (roughly 8,200 out of 1.5 million) of candidates are selected as National Merit Finalists.

5. Most schools use the Finalist category as a determining factor for University or Presidential Scholarships (which pay a significant part or all of tuition). Some schools pay full scholarship plus books, fees, room and board. Some provide full or partial academic scholarships only. There are also one time scholarships and corporate scholarships that are available via the National Merit program.

So ...... the candidate has to be in the top 1% after the PSAT and then the top .5% after the SAT. There are also other rules like a recommendation from the high school principal, outstanding grades and GPA, etc.

Hope this helps.

Is he in state? The OK regents is based on subscore totals and can be added to institutional awards if he's not a national merit.

I didn't realize presidential wasn't a full ride anymore for non NM but that looks to be true.

Regents

Since when is the ACT not used in determining finalist status??
This post was edited on 6/3 6:54 PM by TUBballJunkie

His family lives in Kansas.

Thus the visit to KU. He was born in Tulsa.

Next spring he will likely visit VA Tech, while there visiting relatives.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Since when is the ACT not used in determining finalist status??
This post was edited on 6/3 6:54 PM by TUBballJunkie
In the fall of 2004 I had to take the SAT to confirm my PSAT score. ACT was not applicable, which was a bummer because I had already taken it.

Interesting. That's about when the tests changed to include writing too, right? That's right after I went back to grad school.

The ACT has never been part of the NMSC process. Only the PSAT and SAT are involved. The ACT is a completely different test and is often used in an "either/or" admission process.

Thanks!

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Interesting. That's about when the tests changed to include writing too, right? That's right after I went back to grad school.
Pretty sure they added writing my freshman year of college (thank you merciful God)

Everyone...

Thanks for all the input!

I forwarded the info to my brother-n-law and he was very appreciative!

One other item for your consideration. The scholarships offered by schools to NM Finalists and Scholars vary dramatically. Some schools didn't even have a program .... and some schools (OU was one) had a University Scholar program that provided books, tuition, housing, food, a special dorm, living stipend and a freakin' ring ... basically a better deal than a football scholarship. During that same time period TU offered tuition only. So, be careful about setting one school or another as an objective if you goal is to maximize the benefit from being a NM Finalist or Scholar.

Thanks!

Originally posted by old_goat_23:
One other item for your consideration. The scholarships offered by schools to NM Finalists and Scholars vary dramatically. Some schools didn't even have a program .... and some schools (OU was one) had a University Scholar program that provided books, tuition, housing, food, a special dorm, living stipend and a freakin' ring ... basically a better deal than a football scholarship. During that same time period TU offered tuition only. So, be careful about setting one school or another as an objective if you goal is to maximize the benefit from being a NM Finalist or Scholar.

Thanks!
Tulsa offers full tuition, housing and covers one of the bigger available meal plans. It's a good deal.

Back when I graduated High School here in Tulsa the only thing TPS offered for us was ACT testing. I even looked for study classes but only ones offered were again for ACT. Since when did the ACT fall from such heights here in Oklahoma. That used to be this states standard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT