ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Basketball Schedule

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So the ACC (not the AAC) has told conference members NOT to schedule for the first weekend of eligible games in 2019 (11/5 and 11/6) as the conference is planning to have a weekend of conference games to open the season instead of the regular slate of powder puff openers.

I don't bring this up because I care all that much about the ACC but in the trend this may start for other conferences to open the year with a slate of conference games. I'm not sure how I would feel about this for the AAC as we tend to start slow and come to peak form during the traditional conference season. I wonder if the ACC's motivation is exposure OR if they are trying to avoid some of their mid-range bubble schools avoiding late conference losses against teams not on the bubble and not going to the NCAA tournament w/o a miracle ACC tourney run. Playing a conference game this early would also allow them to schedule a cream puff non-con later in the season so their last 10 has a good look.

OR, the ACC has had some wonky conference tourney scheduling because of their insistence on being in NYC and having to schedule around the Big East and A-10 tournaments that have had long term tournament contracts in MSG and in Brooklyn respectively. ACC would do well to avoid NYC altogether and just do a Philly-DC-Charlotte-Atlanta that allows the tournament to be pretty close to a group of conference schools each year.

So the ACC (not the AAC) has told conference members NOT to schedule for the first weekend of eligible games in 2019 (11/5 and 11/6) as the conference is planning to have a weekend of conference games to open the season instead of the regular slate of powder puff openers.

I don't bring this up because I care all that much about the ACC but in the trend this may start for other conferences to open the year with a slate of conference games. I'm not sure how I would feel about this for the AAC as we tend to start slow and come to peak form during the traditional conference season. I wonder if the ACC's motivation is exposure OR if they are trying to avoid some of their mid-range bubble schools avoiding late conference losses against teams not on the bubble and not going to the NCAA tournament w/o a miracle ACC tourney run. Playing a conference game this early would also allow them to schedule a cream puff non-con later in the season so their last 10 has a good look.

OR, the ACC has had some wonky conference tourney scheduling because of their insistence on being in NYC and having to schedule around the Big East and A-10 tournaments that have had long term tournament contracts in MSG and in Brooklyn respectively. ACC would do well to avoid NYC altogether and just do a Philly-DC-Charlotte-Atlanta that allows the tournament to be pretty close to a group of conference schools each year.

Aren't they upping their conference games as well, to 20?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT