ADVERTISEMENT

AAU Basketball

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
My grand daughter qualified for a high school level aau basketball team that competes in local tournaments..

There was a cost to try out
The tournaments charge each team an entry fee
The tournament venues over charge attendees.

Is there someone familiar with the aau system? Is it worth it?

My grand daughter qualified for a high school level aau basketball team that competes in local tournaments..

There was a cost to try out
The tournaments charge each team an entry fee
The tournament venues over charge attendees.

Is there someone familiar with the aau system? Is it worth it?

Most really good AAU (some call themselves AAU but are not AAU certified) or other off season teams do not charge for tryouts and recruit their own players and many pay all expenses of the players.
I'm always cautious of "daddy coached" teams which might have a lot of conflict of interest. The best teams have the same coach for the same age group each year and have outside sponsors. If your grandaughter is not quite good enough for those teams, one of the other teams might give her exposure and experience and later be recruited for the top teams. All tournaments will charge your team an entry fee and charge admission. I can't help you with that.

I spent 15 years closely involved with summer teams. It can be a truly enjoyable experience for the kids.

Most really good AAU (some call themselves AAU but are not AAU certified) or other off season teams do not charge for tryouts and recruit their own players and many pay all expenses of the players.
I'm always cautious of "daddy coached" teams which might have a lot of conflict of interest. The best teams have the same coach for the same age group each year and have outside sponsors. If your grandaughter is not quite good enough for those teams, one of the other teams might give her exposure and experience and later be recruited for the top teams. All tournaments will charge your team an entry fee and charge admission. I can't help you with that.

I spent 15 years closely involved with summer teams. It can be a truly enjoyable experience for the kids.
Does the financial ends of women's aau teams fall in line with the financial ends of men's aau teams? It would seem like a lot more of the financial end would be covered on the men's side because of the money that comes out of Men's NCAA ball and the NBA.

Thanks, I'm excited for her to get experience.

Good attitude to have.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, there are other ways to gain experience, skill, and good coaching. I wouldn't out right knock it either as lots of kids progress through it.

Coaching traveling teams for boys and girls I have seen both good and bad. If the team doesn't fit her or the coaching style is toxic just look around there are other options AAU or not. Always try and focus on how she feels about it. This isn't the pros and right now she most likely loves the game, don't let anyone ruin that.

The boys do tend to get more push and more sponsors, but many top girls teams do too.

Try outs and costs vary by team/programs. I agree be wary of dad coached teams, I recommended that the parents go and watch the team play for an entire weekend before deciding. Competition reveals the good and bad so getting a sneak preview will weed out the really bad ones who shouldn't be coaching.

Winning or losing is improtant but the coaching moments and player interactions are what's big at this age.

Hope she has a blast and gets the experience she needs to continue her progress.

Reactions: I.I.
My daughter played both AAU basketball and Club volleyball in high school. Volleyball was much more expensive by the way.

All the fees you mentioned seem appropriate. The club should have a pricing chart and payment plan available at the start of the season, which includes tournament fees, coaches salaries, travel and hotel fees, uniforms, etc.

The parents will still have those overpriced admission fees to deal with each weekend.

I agree with avoiding parent coached teams. You’ll find that the coaches kid and her friends will get the bulk of the playing time.

I hope she has fun. It does make a difference getting to play outside of the normal school season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT