ADVERTISEMENT

AAC to play 8 conference games plus 4

I just saw that several MAC teams are going to be playing non-conference games vs the ACC this season. Maybe that’s an early indication that Toledo will be allowed to travel here for the opener.

Last edited:
I just saw that several MAC teams are going to be playing non-conference games vs the ACC this season. Maybe that’s an early indication that Akron will be allowed to travel here for the opener.
I think this season is going to give us a lot of clues into who has well managed athletic departments, who is desperate for money, who is over extended spending on non-revenue sports, and who has a good working relationship with their campus admin.

My opinion: MAC needs the money and will play. Schools like the Big 12 are essentially a TV based recruiting operation to attract students and more athletes and haven’t gone over board on infrastructure spending except maybe OSU but they mostly paid cash. Other than maybe Iowa State, the Big 12 can afford to cancel some or all games. Other big conferences not so much. Exit observation: canceling football in the South will require a multi-billion dollar bailout for a dozen cities or more.

I think this season is going to give us a lot of clues into who has well managed athletic departments, who is desperate for money, who is over extended spending on non-revenue sports, and who has a good working relationship with their campus admin.

My opinion: MAC needs the money and will play. Schools like the Big 12 are essentially a TV based recruiting operation to attract students and more athletes and haven’t gone over board on infrastructure spending except maybe OSU but they mostly paid cash. Other than maybe Iowa State, the Big 12 can afford to cancel some or all games. Other big conferences not so much. Exit observation: canceling football in the South will require a multi-billion dollar bailout for a dozen cities or more.

OU is up to its eyeballs in construction debt and they are trying to drag Norman down with it.

If football is cancelled, Norman will likely go under. Thats why the mayor in Norman is constantly under fire. She wants an empty stadium.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I just saw that several MAC teams are going to be playing non-conference games vs the ACC this season. Maybe that’s an early indication that Akron will be allowed to travel here for the opener.
I don't think Akron is coming no matter what. They're not on the schedule.

OU is up to its eyeballs in construction debt and they are trying to drag Norman down with it.

If football is cancelled, Norman will likely go under. Thats why the mayor in Norman is constantly under fire. She wants an empty stadium.
Interesting. I was relying on my memory of a Knight Commission report back in like 2013 or so that commented negatively on college football debt but pretty much left the Big 12 alone except Texas who was using booster secured bonds and a non-profit to build and operate some of its facilities and was underwater like $100 million on that. But UT could raise that in a weekend if they got truly in trouble.

But you are on the ground over there, so I trust you.

OU has had massive trouble with a bond issue boondoggle relating to luxury dorm housing. And got sued over that a few months ago. That could bring the school to its knees if it pays out all the demands and fees in that one.

It’s interesting that OU is having the same trouble as TU with a strong President stepping down and suddenly everyone realizes how ill advised some of his debt schemes were.

Who is the "strong president"? The last president worth having was Lawless. The rest has let the faculty run everything.

Interesting. I was relying on my memory of a Knight Commission report back in like 2013 or so that commented negatively on college football debt but pretty much left the Big 12 alone except Texas who was using booster secured bonds and a non-profit to build and operate some of its facilities and was underwater like $100 million on that. But UT could raise that in a weekend if they got truly in trouble.

But you are on the ground over there, so I trust you.

OU has had massive trouble with a bond issue boondoggle relating to luxury dorm housing. And got sued over that a few months ago. That could bring the school to its knees if it pays out all the demands and fees in that one.

It’s interesting that OU is having the same trouble as TU with a strong President stepping down and suddenly everyone realizes how ill advised some of his debt schemes were.

OU owns the North University Park land where all the new shopping centers are on. They were heavily involved in the bond issues to build it out and were relying on a new Arena project to anchor more development.
A lot of OU cronies have fingers in it. I cant prove it, but, i have heard enough to make me believe that Boren was involved in some form of deal that led to his ouster...
There were cranes up all over campus when Gallogly took over. They came down in a week or two.. OU has $1billion in construction debt .. over $70million annually to service.

The FCS announced that they are cancelling the football playoffs with the hope for a potential spring season.

Teams and conferences still have the option to play in the fall so we’ll have to see how this affects the NW La game.

Colorado St just suspended football for racism, verbal abuse, oh yeah and a major covid outbreak, maybe, there is apparently some attempt at a cover up.

New Mexico governor doing everything she can to keep UNM and NMST from playing. Hawaii just upped its travel restrictions. SJSU is already in all kinds of finacial trouble on athletics. California State schools may not be allowed to play anyway. MWC is looking in trouble.

MAC reportedly looking at nine conference games and +1. UNI is pushing hard for a spring season though, they didn't get a buy game and probably can't make it without fans with the budget. Rumour is some MAC presidents aren't keen on having any season.

This whole month will be getting crazy and lots of stuff changing. See why BIG, PAC, and SEC went conference only, lot less moving parts, know where everyone is at.

All these money issues don't even take into account the testing protocol the smaller schools will have to achieve to keep their P5/AAC ooc games which has to at least match their opponents standards.

The AAC players (apparently originating with UCF) have asked for some items along the lines of the PAC-12's recent request (including 20% of overall AAC revenue). If it were me, I'd tell them to pound sand. If you don't play, you don't have a scholarship. You don't get a scholarship from the orchestra or the band when you're not playing there. Their compensation is in the form of room and board, tuition, books, etc... if they don't want to risk their health for those things, then thats fine... just like it would be fine to quit your job at Walmart because you don't want to risk your health. There's quite a few people who are having to work in adverse conditions right now, and these schools (who are already hurting financially) are spending an arm and a leg to provide testing and other safety precautions that most employers aren't willing or able to. I don't think the players requests are tenable.

Lots of people who work in close proximity to the public aren't able to be tested frequently or get hazard compensation. No idea why the players believe they're special in that regard.

The AAC players (apparently originating with UCF) have asked for some items along the lines of the PAC-12's recent request (including 20% of overall AAC revenue). If it were me, I'd tell them to pound sand. If you don't play, you don't have a scholarship. You don't get a scholarship from the orchestra or the band when you're not playing there. Their compensation is in the form of room and board, tuition, books, etc... if they don't want to risk their health for those things, then thats fine... just like it would be fine to quit your job at Walmart because you don't want to risk your health. There's quite a few people who are having to work in adverse conditions right now, and these schools (who are already hurting financially) are spending an arm and a leg to provide testing and other safety precautions that most employers aren't willing or able to. I don't think the players requests are tenable.

Lots of people who work in close proximity to the public aren't able to be tested frequently or get hazard compensation. No idea why the players believe they're special in that regard.

Well said and AMEN!
Free tuition, room & board is a huge deal. If athletes don't utilize their opportunity to pursue an education during their scholarship, that's their own fault. Do some get injured?--yeah. That one player for Tulane became paralyzed from playing football. Have people died driving to work?--yeah, same as any other occupation I imagine. I haven't studied the actuarials. I love TU players because they've always been student athletes instead of athletes only; and they have played with that disadvantage for 40+ years and still been competitive and one helluva David against many Goliaths.

Southland going to spring schedule, will allow for non-conference games in fall if programs wish to play them.

Found the answer on their website. NSU has chosen not to participate in any fall athletic competitions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT