ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of candidates you should support

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
My long time friend, Kevin Gray, is running for judge. He is a TU guy (might be a bigger basketball fan than me, if that’s possible). He is the head homicide prosecutor in Tulsa and was recently successful on the cop killer case, David Ware. This job is about trying cases to a jury and he has exponentially more experience than his opponents. All Tulsa County Voters, regardless of party, can vote for him on June 28. This race will go to a runoff in November.

My dad, Byron Burke, is running for the Republican nomination for county assessor again. He is much more qualified than his opponent, John Wright, who is a career politician. This is an important job that many don’t understand. Not following best practices means most of us pay more than our fair share. My dad has decades of experience in ad valorem tax matters all over the country and can bring that knowledge to our community. He’s a no brainer on June 28. Only registered Republicans can vote on this one.

If any of you want signs or the like, let me know.

Last edited:
I’m making a southward sign delivery tonight if you want one.

People are stealing my dad’s signs but not Kevin’s. I have a fun strategy this time around.

My long time friend, Kevin Gray, is running for judge. He is a TU guy (might be a bigger basketball fan than me, if that’s possible). He is the head homicide prosecutor in Tulsa and was recently successful on the cop killer case, David Ware. This job is about trying cases to a jury and he has exponentially more experience than his opponents. All Tulsa County Voters, regardless of party, can vote for him on June 28. This race will go to a runoff in November.

My dad, Byron Burke, is running for the Republican nomination for county assessor again. He is much more qualified than his opponent, John Wright, who is a career politician. This is an important job that many don’t understand. Not following best practices means most of us pay more than our fair share. My dad has decades of experience in ad valorem tax matters all over the country and can bring that knowledge to our community. He’s a no brainer on June 28. Only registered Republicans can vote on this one.

If any of you want signs or the like, let me know.
Is the assessor planning on dropping property taxes as the market is set to drop (with the lowered demand caused by higher interest rates)?

That’s too advanced for the current assessor to understand. I should also note that there is a difference between the rate of tax (that’s not really the assessor's issue) and how often/ how property is assessed.

A lot of this process depends on statutes. I’m skipping over a lot of steps, but the process favors (and perhaps assumes) that the value can only go up. I can’t imagine the current unqualified yahoo thinking of any way to lower the values. He’s just not good.

I will say that I think given the statutory inertia and some market factors, this isn’t the top issue. For example, while real estate prices are probably a bubble nationwide, I’m not sure Tulsa is completely comparable. My opinion is that prices were somewhat depressed vs. the rest of the country and were being driven up by natural catchup/ market forces and some influx of people to the area and some speculators from the coasts with “free money.” The market will slow down, but it’s not going to be a 2008 situation here. More people want to live here than before so there is more demand.

I’m no expert on this. I hire people for that in my job. My dad is and I don’t know his thoughts. These are just my own thoughts.

There are bigger issues that can be fixed, including how the office is run (morale is poor and the place is undisciplined), what exemptions are used and when, and how and when assessments are made. Again, without making it “inside baseball,” the current assessor misses opportunities to catch changes. For example, LLCs are sold instead of the actual property, meaning no deed is filed and the statutory opportunity to catch the increase in value is missed. The net effect is those individuals pay the same tax before but those of who don’t play that game might pay more taxes (and often do). It’s a giant problem across the state and might lead to litigation some day.

In fact, I sent in a letter to the paper mentioning this today. I’ve sued the assessor a few times. They always settle. They really jerk some people around.

This past cycle a lot of values went up. And people aren’t happy. So my dad has a chance and that’s all you can ask. We aren’t really political people. He’s doing this because he legitimately wants to do the job. The current assessor couldn’t get a job making the same amount in the private sector. That’s sad, but true. This job shouldn’t be about political patronage or protecting some career politician’s post retirement income. Do some damn good or let someone else try. He hasn’t done a damn thing in four years. A change is warranted.

Last edited:
I threw in a Gray sign. I think he’s the winning horse on this one. It’s fun to work on. He’s getting very interesting support/ endorsements.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Is the assessor planning on dropping property taxes as the market is set to drop (with the lowered demand caused by higher interest rates)?
Exactly the opposite. Tax rates will rise because government needs more hard currency to maintain existing funding levels for minimum government services and has to keep up with the rate of inflation to do that. Your county and state governments can’t just print more money to mask your collective pain. They actually collect and allocate real dollars for real problems. This is the fallacy of inflationary policies on the left playing themselves out.

Prepare yourself for hard conversations around Tulsa where basic minimum services around the city just won’t be getting done. Gonna be some weeds on the right of ways that the City starts calling “wildflower gardens” etc.

Exactly the opposite. Tax rates will rise because government needs more hard currency to maintain existing funding levels for minimum government services and has to keep up with the rate of inflation to do that. Your county and state governments can’t just print more money to mask your collective pain. They actually collect and allocate real dollars for real problems. This is the fallacy of inflationary policies on the left playing themselves out.

Prepare yourself for hard conversations around Tulsa where basic minimum services around the city just won’t be getting done. Gonna be some weeds on the right of ways that the City starts calling “wildflower gardens” etc.
I don’t think the tax rate should be used to combat inflation. If inflation is a problem, then the city needs to cut back on services and spending for some period of time. The house is worth what it is worth to the market. You can’t just increase rates anytime you feel the same strains that your constituents are. The community should rise and fall together. You can’t have the community failing and the city staying the same as it always had been.

I don’t think the tax rate should be used to combat inflation. If inflation is a problem, then the city needs to cut back on services and spending for some period of time. The house is worth what it is worth to the market. You can’t just increase rates anytime you feel the same strains that your constituents are. The community should rise and fall together. You can’t have the community failing and the city staying the same as it always had been.
Who knew you were a Republican? Wanting to cut government spending and keep taxes low for the public good.

Tell that to the unions that have collective bargaining and want their money you are legally obligated to pay. You know, the people you’ve been taking money from who voted for you and know about that intern that leaves your house at 6am when your wife is out of town. Don’t have the money this year to pay for the over time you normally do? running a little short on general discretionary funds? Well, if we aren’t getting paid what we expect and the price of everything is going up and we don’t get performance bonuses raises like the private sector, we strike for even more money than the over time you can’t pay. How’s them apples? Who’s gonna pick up your garbage and teach your kids now? You want to answer that mail a month before an election?

Tell that to the grass that needs to get cut.

Tell that to the homeless living in hotels at $65 a day paid by the city so you don’t see them and the city doesn’t get sued (again) by activists.

Tell that to the grandma who calls you when it’s 100 degrees out who can’t afford the A/C and used to get a city subsidy. I hope you’ve got a good answer, she’s gonna call you with her absentee ballot in her hand and tell her church group exactly what you say.

Government spending, especially in red states, is at the bone. There’s nothing left to cut. And there shouldn’t be if you are running good government. Core critical care services will be cut and most of those effected will be Democratic voters.

But nobody gets re-elected raising taxes, especially Republicans who can get primaried.

So the tax rate doesn’t actually go up at the rate of inflation, though it should, and what happens is we borrow money in the form of bonds at bad rates to avoid raising taxes and cut services but the city appears to be humming right along and people get re-elected.

The problem is the third wave of leadership is saddled a decade later with junk debt, cops who can’t fight crime, roads that will take a decade of catch up to repair, marginal public health services, I could go on and on.

And there’s no easy way out. You cut government spending and the local economy tanks. There’s parts of this country where local and state government provides 40% or more of the wage base. Cut their wages or lay them off and city’s and counties have to borrow to keep the lights on because sales tax revenue plunges.

Some of us have seen this movie before. What’s going on is a disaster for this country and if it’s not handled quickly and with a high degree of competence, nobody over 60 will live long enough to see the end of its effects.

Unfortunately, we appear to be fiddling around when every single American is being victimized by disastrous money policy and unworkable energy policies that are intentionally inflationary but play well with affluent suburban voters who have never really worried about balancing their check book and don’t even begin to care if the US government does the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: noble cane
Who knew you were a Republican? Wanting to cut government spending and keep taxes low for the public good.

Tell that to the unions that have collective bargaining and want their money you are legally obligated to pay. You know, the people you’ve been taking money from who voted for you and know about that intern that leaves your house at 6am when your wife is out of town. Don’t have the money this year to pay for the over time you normally do? running a little short on general discretionary funds? Well, if we aren’t getting paid what we expect and the price of everything is going up and we don’t get performance bonuses raises like the private sector, we strike for even more money than the over time you can’t pay. How’s them apples? Who’s gonna pick up your garbage and teach your kids now? You want to answer that mail a month before an election?

Tell that to the grass that needs to get cut.

Tell that to the homeless living in hotels at $65 a day paid by the city so you don’t see them and the city doesn’t get sued (again) by activists.

Tell that to the grandma who calls you when it’s 100 degrees out who can’t afford the A/C and used to get a city subsidy. I hope you’ve got a good answer, she’s gonna call you with her absentee ballot in her hand and tell her church group exactly what you say.

Government spending, especially in red states, is at the bone. There’s nothing left to cut. And there shouldn’t be if you are running good government. Core critical care services will be cut and most of those effected will be Democratic voters.

But nobody gets re-elected raising taxes, especially Republicans who can get primaried.

So the tax rate doesn’t actually go up at the rate of inflation, though it should, and what happens is we borrow money in the form of bonds at bad rates to avoid raising taxes and cut services but the city appears to be humming right along and people get re-elected.

The problem is the third wave of leadership is saddled a decade later with junk debt, cops who can’t fight crime, roads that will take a decade of catch up to repair, marginal public health services, I could go on and on.

And there’s no easy way out. You cut government spending and the local economy tanks. There’s parts of this country where local and state government provides 40% or more of the wage base. Cut their wages or lay them off and city’s and counties have to borrow to keep the lights on because sales tax revenue plunges.

Some of us have seen this movie before. What’s going on is a disaster for this country and if it’s not handled quickly and with a high degree of competence, nobody over 60 will live long enough to see the end of its effects.

Unfortunately, we appear to be fiddling around when every single American is being victimized by disastrous money policy and unworkable energy policies that are intentionally inflationary but play well with affluent suburban voters who have never really worried about balancing their check book and don’t even begin to care if the US government does the same.
Tough noogies. I’m not voting to paying an extra cent more than my already agreed upon rate. If the city didn’t want to save their money wisely during times of prosperity then who’s fault is it when things start to go unfunded during lean times. Maybe instead of building a billion dollar park project or asking the residents for another new (and completely unnecessary) high school sports facility, they should have been setting aside money for a rainy day.

I think there teds to be a lot of gross misdirection of local funds around local municipalities around the country and I’m not supportive paying extra just to keep that misdirection going. If my property is worth less, then the share of my pie that they get goes down proportionally. They were allowed to profit handsomely when my house was overvalued. They better have been saving that money when it’s value drops.

Especially in places that were all to eager to revalue homes at market prices in a bubble.

Tough noogies. I’m not voting to paying an extra cent more than my already agreed upon rate. If the city didn’t want to save their money wisely during times of prosperity then who’s fault is it when things start to go unfunded during lean times. Maybe instead of building a billion dollar park project or asking the residents for another new (and completely unnecessary) high school sports facility, they should have been setting aside money for a rainy day.

I think there teds to be a lot of gross misdirection of local funds around local municipalities around the country and I’m not supportive paying extra just to keep that misdirection going. If my property is worth less, then the share of my pie that they get goes down proportionally. They were allowed to profit handsomely when my house was overvalued. They better have been saving that money when it’s value drops.

Especially in places that were all to eager to revalue homes at market prices in a bubble.
I can’t wait until about 4 years from now after you see a little more about how the world works and you become a registered Republican.

Reactions: noble cane
I can’t wait until about 4 years from now after you see a little more about how the world works and you become a registered Republican.
It will be a cold day in hell. I’m not saying that I refuse to vote for any Republican, but I don’t agree with 99% of that party’s public platform.

Last edited:
Reminder to everyone to support Gray and Burke when you go to the polls today.

Reactions: Gold*
Thanks. We worked hard. Kevin made the general election in November. That was the goal. I like his odds. He has most of the endorsements you would want. Wilson is working hard. We respect her a lot. If anyone has an event Kevin can talk at, I can arrange that.

My dad has good ideas. It’s hard to get people to understand or care about this office. We did just about everything you could. No regrets. I’m proud of him. Also worn the eff out a week later. This stuff is way harder than most would imagine. There’s a lot of nutty stuff that happens. He still wants to work to reform the system.

Thanks. We worked hard. Kevin made the general election in November. That was the goal. I like his odds. He has most of the endorsements you would want. Wilson is working hard. We respect her a lot. If anyone has an event Kevin can talk at, I can arrange that.

My dad has good ideas. It’s hard to get people to understand or care about this office. We did just about everything you could. No regrets. I’m proud of him. Also worn the eff out a week later. This stuff is way harder than most would imagine. There’s a lot of nutty stuff that happens. He still wants to work to reform the system.
Several of us voted for Kevin and Your father. I think they voted for your fathers opponent because they don't do much research, and everyone votes for the incumbent. That makes it hard. He has to really f**k up and get a lot of press about it, to get people to vote for anybody else. But you are aware of all this, I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT