ADVERTISEMENT

2024-2025 Men's Schedule

It’ll be a tough road test. Good team who plays well at home. Hopefully we’re up to the challenge with the new roster.
Tough and early. Could be our 2nd or 3rd game, and maybe our 1st road game. That's a tough game to play that early.

Shaping up to be somewhat of a cupcake schedule again for the basketball team. Hopefully it turns out better than the past two years.

Shaping up to be somewhat of a cupcake schedule again for the basketball team. Hopefully it turns out better than the past two years.
Certainly not the type of schedule which garners an at-large bid. Suppose we’re still a year or so away from talking about the tourney?

You know about 1/2 of non conf schedule at most? Nice negative speculation. We can always count on you for that no matter how much you do or don't know. The schedule last year was incredibly cupcake for reasons that we had 11 new teammates and only one returning. Konkol rarely, if ever schedules a difficult non conf schedule, so you can count on him to let you be negative every year on this. Carry on.

You know about 1/2 of non conf schedule at most? Nice negative speculation. We can always count on you for that no matter how much you do or don't know. The schedule last year was incredibly cupcake for reasons that we had 11 new teammates and only one returning. Konkol rarely, if ever schedules a difficult non conf schedule, so you can count on him to let you be negative every year on this. Carry on.
I’m going to defend Aston a bit here. With the level of play in the AAC, I don’t see how Konkol can schedule soft and still have hopes of an at-large. I hate for us to be put in a position to have to win the conference tourney to make the NCAA.

Reactions: drboobay
Got to remember a lot of teams don't want to play us thus limited chances to play top 50 teams. Just win and people look at a 10-1 record. The challenge is those first 5 AAC games you have to win.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Got to remember a lot of teams don't want to play us thus limited chances to play top 50 teams. Just win and people look at a 10-1 record. The challenge is those first 5 AAC games you have to win.
I care a lot more about the NET than what people look at. If you want at-large consideration you better have a decent schedule.

Reactions: loca2874
I’m going to defend Aston a bit here. With the level of play in the AAC, I don’t see how Konkol can schedule soft and still have hopes of an at-large. I hate for us to be put in a position to have to win the conference tourney to make the NCAA.
That's not defending Aston. Most of us on this board know Konkol hasn't scheduled a difficult schedule here or at La Tech. So it's just bitching to bitch, when you already know that's his habit. But I find it amusing he is bitching before he has seen half the schedule. I think he should schedule a tougher schedule, but I don't complain about it, when I know it's not going to happen. And I'll wait till I see the rest of the games before I even think about whether or not to make an intelligent comment on it. What games do we know about at this point? OSU, Southern, Missouri St, ORU, and maybe one or two others that I can't remember. That's about half. How can you say cupcake when that's all you've seen.

That's not defending Aston. Most of us on this board know Konkol hasn't scheduled a difficult schedule here or at La Tech. So it's just bitching to bitch, when you already know that's his habit. But I find it amusing he is bitching before he has seen half the schedule. I think he should schedule a tougher schedule, but I don't complain about it, when I know it's not going to happen. And I'll wait till I see the rest of the games before I even think about whether or not to make an intelligent comment on it. What games do we know about at this point? OSU, Southern, Missouri St, ORU, and maybe one or two others that I can't remember. That's about half. How can you say cupcake when that's all you've seen.
I say it's cupcake because we effectively know 3/4 of the overall schedule (1/2 the non-con and all of the conference). The conference will probably be a single bid league going forward without some team winning against a tough schedule.

All signs point to us being a year away from being a year away.

I say it's cupcake because we effectively know 3/4 of the overall schedule (1/2 the non-con and all of the conference). The conference will probably be a single bid league going forward without some team winning against a tough schedule.

Seeing as how we finished close to the bottom of the AAC last year and we lost our “best” player to another AAC team, they look at us as cupcakes. We can’t call them cupcakes until we are winning

Christ almighty, once again you make no sense whatsoever, you. We already 'know' the conference schedule and who will likely be on it every year, and besides that we can't control it. It's the non conference schedule we can control, and that dictates how difficult our schedule will be. And you are only aware of 6 teams at most. You are just moaning to moan about the basketball program, like you do every year. You have no idea about our non conf schedule, which is all you can complain about.

I care a lot more about the NET than what people look at. If you want at-large consideration you better have a decent schedule.
Decent schedules depend on who wants to play you. Most schools in the top 50 do not want to play us and will not schedule us. Some conferences even recommend they not play teams like us as even a win does not help them. Konkol has to schedule teams that will play us. He has told me he has tried to schedule several big name teams and they refuse. So quit blaming him.

Decent schedules depend on who wants to play you. Most schools in the top 50 do not want to play us and will not schedule us. Some conferences even recommend they not play teams like us as even a win does not help them. Konkol has to schedule teams that will play us. He has told me he has tried to schedule several big name teams and they refuse. So quit blaming him.
Then wouldn’t you try to enter an early tournament with a good field of teams? There are creative ways to schedule in order to boost your NET and in turn chances of an NCAA at-large.

Every team needs 10 to 12 games…. That means that you should be able to fit into someone decent’s schedule somewhere as every decent team can’t all play exclusively other strong teams.

I believe we all (or most of us) have the same objective here…to see TU back in the NCAA tourney. It’s not my intention to piss anyone off. I simply want to have a schedule in place which would garner us at-large consideration should our team in any given year be tourney quality.

Mayor's Cup date is reportedly set: Wednesday, November 13th at the Reynolds Center.

Looking forward to seeing if you guys are still playing baseline-to-baseline air hockey during media timeouts...pretty cool promo. The sax player in the north lobby was on point as well two years ago. :cool:
We really need to beat EGU (Eli Gemstone University) this year. Jesse and Kelvin are getting pretty hard to take.

Every team needs 10 to 12 games…. That means that you should be able to fit into someone decent’s schedule somewhere as every decent team can’t all play exclusively other strong teams.
You would think so but the commissioners are coming down on them hard to not schedule Non P4's. The games you see have probably already been scheduled out for a while like TU and OSU. You won't see Arkansas play us or Missouri , or even SMU now. They refuse. Arkansas used to come here, Purdue , Louisville, and even SMU used to come here...but no more.

Tulsa had the 238th hardest schedule in the country last season. By far the easiest schedule in the AAC. In fact, South Fla was second at #128. 110 places above TU. If every other conference school can schedule a respectable schedule surely we can as well.

Tulsa had the 238th hardest schedule in the country last season. By far the easiest schedule in the AAC. In fact, South Fla was second at #128. 110 places above TU. If every other conference school can schedule a respectable schedule surely we can as well.

Last year there was a reason to schedule that way. We had 11 new players. No reason to complain about this year yet. We don't have knowledge of enough teams to complain. Missouri St and OSU will be decent for the schedule. ORU is an always there on the schedule. Southern and the one or two others that I think were mentioned on here before, are the only ones we could have a beef with. We still have approx. 6 or 7 teams to add to the schedule. The only viable complaint to be made now, would be him not working us into a tournament. That's it. Not right to make any other complaints yet.(unless you r Aston)

You would think so but the commissioners are coming down on them hard to not schedule Non P4's. The games you see have probably already been scheduled out for a while like TU and OSU. You won't see Arkansas play us or Missouri , or even SMU now. They refuse. Arkansas used to come here, Purdue , Louisville, and even SMU used to come here...but no more.
SMU plays Tarleton State, Florida A&M, UNC Greensboro, Prarie View A&M, and Longwood.

Hard to imagine we would be a worse RPI risk than any of those schools

Reactions: I.I.
SMU just doesn't want to play us...I mean those are some CREAMPUFFS. Can't stand that school.
I don't disagree. They are playing some creampuffs, in addition to a few decent non-con games and an ACC conference schedule (they don't need to play a tough non-conference as much as we do).

What we should really be looking for are MWC / A10 teams.... even mid level Big East teams.

Not saying that every game needs to be a tossup, but we've only really seen two that could have likelihood as Q2 Wins.... @Missouri St & @Loyola. No obvious opportunities for Q1 wins from what I've seen. Our only opportunity for a Q1 win could end up being Memphis depending on what the rest of the conference does.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Updated:

Last year's final net scores for teams we play this year in non conf.

Loyola Chicago 85
OSU 123 (already scheduled/ranking will probably rise this year)
Missouri St. 146
Little Rock 182
Southern 257
ORU 276 (already scheduled)
Missisippi Valley St 362

Not bad considering OSU & ORU were already scheduled and the only unscheduled skunk is Southern. Likely seven more to come. If we get four or five more games that match favorably to Loyola/OSU/Missouri St we will be alright. The chances of that are more likely at 3 or 4 games, not as likely at 5 games. If those additional 7 teams consist of 1 or 2 teams that compare favorably with Loyola/OSU/Missouri St then the bitching for scheduling can commence.

Last edited:
I believe we all (or most of us) have the same objective here…to see TU back in the NCAA tourney. It’s not my intention to piss anyone off. I simply want to have a schedule in place which would garner us at-large consideration should our team in any given year be tourney quality.
Absolutely. This is year three. It is time to get serious.

Absolutely. This is year three. It is time to get serious.
It would be year three with the National Freshman of the year coming back, but losing him probably puts us back to year two again with NCAA readiness. This is the problem for all good teams that are not P4. They are intent on taking all the NCAA Tournament talent away from the smaller schools so making the tournament is becoming much harder. There needs to be a "protection clause" of 2-3 players that can't be grabbed from the portal from the smaller schools each year.

It would be year three with the National Freshman of the year coming back, but losing him probably puts us back to year two again with NCAA readiness. This is the problem for all good teams that are not P4. They are intent on taking all the NCAA Tournament talent away from the smaller schools so making the tournament is becoming much harder. There needs to be a "protection clause" of 2-3 players that can't be grabbed from the portal from the smaller schools each year.
Yes but it is still year three. Excuses don't sit well with many of us.

Yes but it is still year three. Excuses don't sit well with many of us.
If many expect at large bids for non P4 teams in any years, they have not kept up with the portal and NIL. These teams have been decimated. Tulsa gets decimated at both ends, losing players to the portal via NIL , and losing potential recruits both high school, JUCO, and portal to NIL. It’s getting almost better to move to a smaller conference like ORU where the automatic bid gives you a better chance. We cannot compete with Memphis, UAB, or even S Florida with NIL unless some big donors come through there.

Last edited:
Last year's final net scores for teams we play this year in non conf.

Loyola Chicago 85
OSU 123 (already scheduled/ranking will probably rise this year)
Missouri St. 146
Southern 257
ORU 276 (already scheduled)

Not bad considering OSU & ORU were already scheduled and the only unscheduled skunk is Southern. Likely seven more to come. If we get four or five more games that match favorably to Loyola/OSU/Missouri St we will be alright. The chances of that are more likely at 3 or 4 games, not as likely at 5 games. If those additional 7 teams consist of 1 or 2 teams that compare favorably with Loyola/OSU/Missouri St then the bitching for scheduling can commence.

Mississippi Valley State (362) and Little Rock (182) are also official.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Mississippi Valley State (362) and Little Rock (182) are also official.
I thought there was a few others, just couldn't remember them. So we have two quackers plus ORU on the schedule. With only approx. 5 teams to add, most if not all of them need to be better than 200. Hopefully we'll get a couple that are better than 100 in there. I'll update the non conf with those two above.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawpoke87
If many expect at large bids for non P4 teams in any years, they have not kept up with the portal and NIL. These teams have been decimated. Tulsa gets decimated at both ends, losing players to the portal via NIL , and losing potential recruits both high school, JUCO, and portal to NIL. It’s getting almost better to move to a smaller conference like ORU where the automatic bid gives you a better chance. We cannot compete with Memphis, UAB, or even S Florida with NIL unless some big donors come through there.
To a point. The MWC received 5 at-large bids last year. Why…they were good and scheduled decent OOC games. If the MWC can compete there is zero reason the AAC can’t.

To a point. The MWC received 5 at-large bids last year. Why…they were good and scheduled decent OOC games. If the MWC can compete there is zero reason the AAC can’t.
Those same MWC teams were pilfered in the portal. Watch how many they get this year. As far as AAC, watch Memphis, FAU, and UAB, the big NIL hitters.

Those same MWC teams were pilfered in the portal. Watch how many they get this year. As far as AAC, watch Memphis, FAU, and UAB, the big NIL hitters.
Do you have the number of mid major teams receiving at-large bids by year? I know the number is down. Just curious how much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT