ADVERTISEMENT

2022: Tulsa @ Ole Miss

TU72N76

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Saw this while creeping around the Sunbelt board:

Ole Miss has added three opponents to their 2022 non-conference football schedule: Troy on Sept. 3 ($1.5 million), Central Arkansas on Sept. 10 ($475,000), and Tulsa on Sept. 24 ($1.45 million).

Good work finding this, no return game with a $1.45 million love gift.

Don't get "The World" here in NE Alabama. I have to scrounge elsewhere. :)

Dr. Clancy must be serious about balancing the books with the football program.

Unless we get a big $$ increase from ESPN, which might be tough in today's TV market, I expect these games to continue. Expect an FCS opponent at home nearly every year.

I don't hate these games, but I would like to see us schedule some more Iowa State type series where we get a return game. Even if it means a 2 for 1.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
These "payday" games accomplish two things:

1) $$$$

2) Practically guarantee we will have an FCS team on the schedule in what amounts to a "payday" game for them.

These "payday" games accomplish two things:

1) $$$$

2) Practically guarantee we will have an FCS team on the schedule in what amounts to a "payday" game for them.

In all honesty, I don't mind fcs games IF they are played the first home game of the season.

Everyone is so pumped for the first home game, they will likely come watch even if it is against a crap opponent. However, if we have a D1 opponent at home first, then follow with lower level competition, you'll likely see what happened last year with NC A&T.

I'm happy to have some big name games, and to get some beyond OU, Farmer U and Piggly Wiggly High. They're good exposure for us (don't think the "usual suspect" games help with that at this point) and to have the breakout year, we need a major win or two. Can't win them if we don't play them.

It is not the worst thing. But I hope in the long run we can get back to more home and home deals.

It is not the worst thing. But I hope in the long run we can get back to more home and home deals.

I totally agree. It's unfortunate that the last administration left TU with some financial hurdles to clear, so I can see why we're doing what we're doing. However, it would be nice to get some of the likes of Kansas, Iowa state, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi state, duke, Texas tech, Indiana, Illinois, wake forest, and so on to do some type of deal with. Casual fans will pay to come see teams like that play here.

I totally agree. It's unfortunate that the last administration left TU with some financial hurdles to clear, so I can see why we're doing what we're doing. However, it would be nice to get some of the likes of Kansas, Iowa state, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi state, duke, Texas tech, Indiana, Illinois, wake forest, and so on to do some type of deal with. Casual fans will pay to come see teams like that play here.

If a KU homegame excites you, please check what you are on. This would have to come with basketball or something. I think 2/3s of the AAC could beat Kansas in football.

Reactions: scotty0912
If a KU homegame excites you, please check what you are on. This would have to come with basketball or something. I think 2/3s of the AAC could beat Kansas in football.

It would excite locals more than some of the competition we've brought in over the years.

Speaking on being "on something" - you're the one up in the Rockies, not me :)

97% of FBS could beat Kansas...just not Texas

Memphis had a home and home with KU. Memphis clobbered KU both times. I don't think KU is interested in playing TU - too close to home and too many KU fans here to witness a demoralizing defeat.

Memphis had a home and home with KU. Memphis clobbered KU both times. I don't think KU is interested in playing TU - too close to home and too many KU fans here to witness a demoralizing defeat.

The KU reference was more of a generalization of the mid level P5 teams we would like to see 1-1 or 2-1 deals with... not specifically KU. I did not mean to cause an uproar by mentioning KU with the other 10 schools I used as an example.

I'm with you. It was one example.

I had a blast in Lawrence last time we had a 1-1 myself. Oddly enough in a 10 games ever between the two of us, 7 were in Tulsa.

I think Iowa State was the last P-5 to play here in a 1-1. Oddly, that followed after the Liberty Bowl win over ISU and the home loss the next year was the start of the end for BB.

The KU reference was more of a generalization of the mid level P5 teams we would like to see 1-1 or 2-1 deals with... not specifically KU. I did not mean to cause an uproar by mentioning KU with the other 10 schools I used as an example.
Kansas actually makes perfect sense for us to schedule. And it doesn't really matter who Kansas schedules, they have the curse of Mangino over them and they're going to continue to get hammered.

If you're in our region and are worried about losing to tulsa, why would you put tulsa on your schedule, let alone visit TU?

As a power 5 who could lose to TU, your recruiting power is your conference and your exposure, but losing to Tulsa surely takes that advantage away.

If you're outside of the region, why would you want to travel to Tulsa to play a game at all?

The only way you get a big team to tulsa unless OU wants to give their Tulsa fans a chance to see them, is by scheduling a 3-1 or 4-1 matchup which is so lopsided that it's almost impossible to make work consistently when you're trying to get two road games and two home games each season.

Every other American team gets home and home series with p5 teams. Every one.
And those power 5's can cancel whenever they want. Memphis's 2017 home schedule was originally UCLA, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. but Ole Miss and Tennessee both cancelled and now Memphis has ULM and Southern Illinois.

SMU's only Power 5 team is TCU in 2018 but that barely counts because they have a rivalry/trophy series that dates back 90ish games.

And those power 5's can cancel whenever they want. Memphis's 2017 home schedule was originally UCLA, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. but Ole Miss and Tennessee both cancelled and now Memphis has ULM and Southern Illinois.

SMU's only Power 5 team is TCU in 2018 but that barely counts because they have a rivalry/trophy series that dates back 90ish games.

I am surprised Tennessee would ever agree to play Memphis. Seems like a KU vs Wichita state thing to me. I know a bunch of people from Knoxville, and they don't speak highly of Memphis as a town, a university or football team.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I am surprised Tennessee would ever agree to play Memphis. Seems like a KU vs Wichita state thing to me. I know a bunch of people from Knoxville, and they don't speak highly of Memphis as a town, a university or football team.

It's just SEC bias ;o)

You can agree to anything 5-8 years out, knowing that you can pay to change it later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT