ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball opening weekend

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
To open the season Tulsa travels to Tucson for the University of Arizona’s Hillenbrand Invitational.

From last year’s roster Tulsa lost 5 to graduation and adds 4 Freshmen from Shawnee, Fort Gibson and California and 2 transfers, a Jr from NEOA&M and a So from Arkansas.
Kendra Cullum a Houston grad with a couple of stops was also added as Assistant Coach.

For what it’s worth, Tulsa is picked 1st in the American and receiving votes in both national polls.

Weekend schedule:
Friday:
10:00 Fordham finished 39-21 last year 18-4 in the Atlantic 10 conference champion and picked to repeat.
12:00pm Northwestern 27-28 last year 15-8 3rd in the Big 10 and a NCAA appearance.

Saturday:
12:00pm CSUN finished 34-22 last year 14-7 3rd in the Big West and a NCAA appearance returns 12 seniors including 1 on the Top 50 watch list.
2:00pm Baylor finished 45-14 last year 13-4 2nd in the Big 12 and a NCAA appearance preseason ranked 21st nationally.

Sunday:
1:00pm Arizona finished 40-21 last year 13-11 5th in the Pac 12 and a NCAA appearance preseason ranked 10th nationally with 3 players on the Top 50 watch list.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I don't follow softball all that much. Does anyone know if our coach is any good?

:)

Judging from the interviews and one time to meet him, he doesn’t come across as the most dynamic personality and could take some lessons from Monty. But who couldn’t? I don’t think anyone can argue with the success on the field. In 11 years he has .700 in conference winning record, 6 years of either winning the conference or tournament, 8 years NCAA tournament appearances.

There was a poster on here last season claiming to have inside information that didn’t like him, and said the players don’t like him. That’s hard to reconcile with the on field results. Besides that I’ll leave anything else to self proclaimed insiders. I am not.

Also for what it's worth, he was just selected to be included in the Team USA coaches pool.
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball...onal-Team-Coaching-Pool-selected-through-2019 So there is that.

Disappointed they don't come to Houston. :(

Yes Houston comes to Tulsa this year. They will be in Beaumont in couple of weeks!

Last edited:
7-6 Fordham with the W. Great game. Tulsa had runners at 1st and 2nd with 2 outs but couldn't tie or win it.

On to the next one. Northwestern in about 20 minutes! Go TU!

Wow deja vu.. Tulsa falls to NW 3-2.. Tulsa again had runners at 1st and 2nd with 2 outs in the 7th but couldn't capitalize.

Tough start but hope to turn it around tomorrow.

The coach had an interview with Bruce Howard a week before the season started and it wasn't very optimistic. He mentioned the lack of confidence. Other than a few players who had a good weekend. The rest are swinging to just make contact. Too many strikeouts. But I would put hitting better than the pitching. Our #1 pitcher looks so scared out there. Against good teams with speed she is a defensive liability as a fielder. #2 Pitcher looks better on the mound but both are not in command consistently enough.
I like the lineup and think the offense has potential. As of yet no one swinging for the fences. May be a down year for power numbers. Pitching is a major concern.
This was a loaded tournament with excellent teams. Hopefully this experience pays off in the long haul. Next week is a new day and winning is the cure for lack of confidence.

Weekend summary:
Tulsa went 1-4 over the weekend. Beating CSUN 7-4. They hit well enough to be competitive, but losing to Northwestern 3-2 and Fordham 7-6.
Not really in the games with the Top 25 teams losing to Baylor 9-1 and Arizona 10-2.

Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth was 9-15 with 3 extra base hits 1 bb and 4 K
Tori Stafford was 5-11 with 1 extra base hits 1 bb and 2 K
Pitching:
Emily Watson is 1-2 had 17K but gave up 18 hits with 6 2b and 3 HR in 14.2 innings
Lexi Blevins is 0-2 had 6 K gave up 12 hits with 1 HR in 11 innings.

We've been told to think that winners never fail. And that's okay to think that...if you're a loser.
CoachKCullum

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT