ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Intro: PF Derek Culver -- lists recent TU offer

I like that the staff takes a shot at the elite players. My question for Chris (or anyone else that knows) is whether the staff is just throwing offers at these higher ranked guys to see what happens or whether they believe that any of these guys are real possibilities? In other words, is this basically TU making an offer and we will never hear about this kid and TU again or is there a real possibility that TU will be a factor in his recruitment?

Basketball recruiting has changed a lot. Many schools just offer guys to stay in the hunt. It seems that teams offer just so they can recruit a kid...otherwise they may not get a sniff. There are a lot more offers out there than there used to be.

Thank you. Do you get the impression that the staff believes they can compete for guys like this? Similarly, do you get the impression that TU with the new conference and more recent success is making an impression with guys like this?

Thank you. Do you get the impression that the staff believes they can compete for guys like this? Similarly, do you get the impression that TU with the new conference and more recent success is making an impression with guys like this?

I think as Chris said, if you don't at least offer Elites then you won't be in the hunt. Offering can raise your profile enough to possibly get someone else around the same level interested too. No guarantees but nothing ventured as they say!

Last edited:
I think as Chris said, if you don't at least offer Elites then you won't be in the hunt. Offering can raise your profile enough to possibly get someone else around the same level interested. No guarantees but nothing ventured as they say!

I agree. Offer anyone and everyone that can make the team better. I am just wondering what the general impression is by the staff and by the kids of TU's recruiting position.

Do you get the impression that the staff believes they can compete for guys like this? Similarly, do you get the impression that TU with the new conference and more recent success is making an impression with guys like this?
The coaches believe they can compete for quality talent. They will try to pull in some 4-star kids, but that won't routinely happen. There are only 100 4-star kids in the 2016 class. I think they will end up getting a lot of highly rated 3-star prospects.

Personally I think the best way to go next year will be the 'Fab 5' route. Go after a bunch of kids that want to play together because we have the space and the open PT.

If you don't offer 4stars you are self-limiting yourself to 2-3 stars. Always keep open the full range of levels to offer recruits.

If you don't offer 4stars you are self-limiting yourself to 2-3 stars. Always keep open the full range of levels to offer recruits.
It seems the best way to sign a four star player is hire his dad as an assistant as Pastner is doing.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Basketball recruiting has changed a lot. Many schools just offer guys to stay in the hunt. It seems that teams offer just so they can recruit a kid...otherwise they may not get a sniff. There are a lot more offers out there than there used to be.
How is it that is allowed when hiring a coach connected to a recruit (ie Shea Seals) is not?

Because Shea wasn't hired as one of the 4 bench assistants with actual coaching duties, TU was not allowed to offer Parker a scholarship. If Pastner is hiring this kids dad as an actual assistant coach then it's legit.

I think as Chris said, if you don't at least offer Elites then you won't be in the hunt. Offering can raise your profile enough to possibly get someone else around the same level interested. No guarantees but nothing ventured as they say!

I would say it never hurts to offer recruits who have elite offer sheets. If the kid decides to transfer, not only do you have a prior relationship established, you likely to have a good shot once his recruitment opens back up.

Basically the same as leaving your business card after a failed sales call. A wise businessman never throws away a business card.

TX

Last edited:
I agree. Offer anyone and everyone that can make the team better. I am just wondering what the general impression is by the staff and by the kids of TU's recruiting position.

I doubt either Manning or Wojcik was giving offers to 4 star players when they were at Tulsa. If so then Elite recruits didn't pretty much didn't even know Tulsa existed. As in ;poker you have to show something to even bluff. If you don't offer then you will never be in the hunt. Offering isn't only for the recruits either, it also tells their handlers that you are in the market for top recruits which is just as important and maybe more so.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT