ADVERTISEMENT

20 years ago...

Wow...makes me happy and sad at the same time.

An All-American wing player, an NBA big man, a Hall-of-Fame head coach, and 3 assistants who became Head Coaches.

Times are different.

I remember the SMU comeback to take the lead - reminiscent of the recent implosion at Wichita State. Then Kurtz did his magic. That team won 3 games - the Metro sweep and in Vegas vs. Tarkanian's Fresno team - that it was not favored in. Without all 3 wins, TU was an NIT team that year.

We almost lost to College of Charleston in the 8-9 game. Had about 20 point lead and it almost evaporated before the bleeding stopped. Got to play the most dominant team of that year in Duke two days later.

We almost lost to College of Charleston in the 8-9 game. Had about 20 point lead and it almost evaporated before the bleeding stopped. Got to play the most dominant team of that year in Duke two days later.

We had a 26 point lead I believe and I think they even came back to take the lead. I remember watching that vividly. I think that duke team choked in the final against UCONN.

We had a 26 point lead I believe and I think they even came back to take the lead. I remember watching that vividly. I think that duke team choked in the final against UCONN.
Yep, Rip Hamilton was amazing.

It was interesting that I was in Vegas just after the WAC tournament and we watched the bracket reveal at one of the sports books. They put up Duke's pairing and me and a friend just keep saying "please not us" when they went to the 8/9 pairing. Pretty much the only team I wanted no part of in that tournament. That Duke team was loaded, Elton Brand, Trajan Langdon.

If I remember this right, we ended that season with three games against teams who went undefeated in their conference: Utah, Charleston, and Duke. I always thought that loss to Duke showed them how much better they needed to get and the result was an Elite Eight the next year.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I remember the Charleston coach mentioning the “opportunity to play Duke” during the selection Sunday show. Bad move on his part.

I never saw Bill Self sweat so much as in the last 5 minutes of the COC game. Hairpiece was drenched by the end and dripping everywhere. He had no way to stop the COC comeback it seemed. His bench coaching has improved significantly since those early years......his recruiting has always been the tops.

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT