ADVERTISEMENT

2/25 games

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
67 games tonight, but not much bubble action.

AAC
SMU @ Memphis - We'll find out if Memphis has given up on the season after that USF loss.
UConn @ South Florida - UConn is the safest AAC team thanks to no bad losses. This would be a bad loss.

OOC
ORU @ Omaha - The ship has sailed on ORU as a bad loss. The only question now is how bad?
UALR vs UT-Arlington - A win here guarantees UALR at least a share of the regular season Sun Belt title.

Bubble teams
Florida State @ Duke - With a loss, FSU locks in a losing record in the ACC and a losing record away from home.
Gonzaga @ San Diego - Zags loss would be great, but USD is bad. Like 58-point loss to BYU bad.
St Mary's vs Santa Clara - KenPom says 5% chance of an upset. Seems high.
Seton Hall vs Providence - Despite losing 4 of 5, Providence is still relatively safe thanks to wins over Arizona and Villanova. Seton Hall is 6 spots above us on Bracket Matrix.

What are the ramifications of a Memphis upset? Does it hurt TU more than it helps since TU has already beaten SMU, as opposed to TU beatening a Memphis team coming off a win over SMU?

Thanks

TX

We've played SMU twice so I would think an SMU win would be better for RPI purposes. Plus I would prefer a demoralized Memphis team when we play on Sunday

It would take a little shine off the SMU win and be a tiny ding on RPI.

The positive would be it ties us with SMU in the loss column in the race for a regular season title.

Memphis win would hurt our RPI a little and reduce the value of out SMU win, but help if we are going to try to get a share of the Conference Championship. What is good is that we control our own destiny it appears. Win the next 4 and we are there, probably the next three. Lose to Memphis or USF and panic ensues. What would be interesting is if there is a tie for the conference championship and a high major conference champion is denied the NCAA tournament ............

Pulling for double overtime in Memphis SMU. Bonus would be if Goodwin gets in fight and gets a game off.

Lots of boo's at the final horn from the home crowd.

The final min of the SMU / Memphis game is exactly why I'm not concerned about an upset. The Tigers may have more raw talent, but they have a poor basketball IQ, forcing poor shots and frustration fouls took them from down 3 to down 7, in a blink of an eye. They are mentally weak and have quit.

They will be a 1st rd exit in AAC Tourney.

TX

Lots of boo's at the final horn from the home crowd.
I'm suprised so many fans showed up to watch that dumpster fire.

The Lawson Twins will transfer, Pop's knows their NBA futures are in jeopardy under Pastner. He'lL pimp them out again and land a new job.

TX

They will start the game Sunday with better talent than us. If they hold it together for Pastner's final home game on Senior day, they win. But if the game is won on heart, effort, teamwork, and coaching , TU will move closer to that NCAA bid.

They will start the game Sunday with better talent than us. If they hold it together for Pastner's final home game on Senior day, they win. But if the game is won on heart, effort, teamwork, and coaching , TU will move closer to that NCAA bid.
Not sure I agree. On paper maybe.. but even then how can you say they are better talent? How do YOU define talent. I think we have more skill.

Its not just talent, skill or coaching this time of the basketball season. Sometimes you just have to want it more. If Memphis doesn't have that want or fire then they are done.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree. On paper maybe.. but even then how can you say they are better talent? How do YOU define talent. I think we have more skill.

They have two McDonald's All Americans and have had one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the country for the past 7-8 years. Many have gone to the pros. Two current players will be nice NBA players. Doesn't mean they will beat us. We play harder and with more effort than any AAC team currently but none of our Seniors will be drafted in this year's draft. I still think if we bring our best game we win but it will be close.

I think our guys smell blood in the water after the Temple game. Memphis is just more prey. I don't expect a close game at all...TU by 20+. That should send Tiger fan into a tizzy

Reactions: RealTUTypical
They have two McDonald's All Americans and have had one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the country for the past 7-8 years. Many have gone to the pros. Two current players will be nice NBA players. Doesn't mean they will beat us. We play harder and with more effort than any AAC team currently but none of our Seniors will be drafted in this year's draft. I still think if we bring our best game we win but it will be close.

They also have Josh Pastner. #justsayin'

Reactions: TU_BLA
Watching college basketball for about 40 years now it strikes me how much late season games come down to resiliency, discipline and desire. You have to have athletic players who can score, but the teams who can keep counterpunching to the final whistle are the ones who separate themselves this time of year.

Memphis recruits talent, always has. Now, the talent is pure athletic talent and raw basketball talent. IMHO, the kids usually are so athletic and good enough to dominate their respective high school teams and be very competitive on the AAU circuit. But it was apparently someone NOT Pastner turning those recruits into a team.

Curtis, Ray, and probably Wright would never see the floor for Memphis. Just not good enough raw basketball talent. Curtis has high basketball IQ. Ray is quick. And Wright has the body. But I don't think Memphis coaches or fans care unless you look like a McDonald's All American. I mean, they are probably learning a nice lesson about building a good team NOW, but...

Who do I root for/against tonight?

IMO, Memphis is superior to us athletically but lack the ability to play as a team. I think and hope we go into that game and pull a Hoosiers performance. Run the "Picket Fence" for the win!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT