ADVERTISEMENT

1994 OSU Game

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
One of the better games I missed. I was working for Clear Channel back in Tulsa and couldn’t go. I did have one eye on the screen the whole time though.

After hearing the non-stop Big Country talk, it was nice to see TU send him packing. He did have a lot of classy things to say about TU as I recall.

Big Country was a genuine person, at least what I knew of him. I went to the Arkansas game after it where we lost

Last edited:
A little know fact and maybe the reason we beat OSU that day. Eddie Sutton held out starter Fred Burley who was a great rebounder and inside scorer for them. I never heard the undisclosed reason but I'm almost positive it might have made a difference.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I was there, in the rafters. I think I was 14. I had a CD player and was learning about Pavement that night.

“Marching through Georgia, G-G-G Georgia . . .”

I watched this game in my room at LaFortune with my suitemates (Dunstan Anderson, James Blake). Dunstan almost punched a hole in the cinderblock wall when Lou hit THE SHOT. Campus was crazy for about 45 minutes, people driving around honking their horns. As soon as info came out about student tickets for the Sweet Sixteen, we all put our names in to the lottery. My friend actually got picked but couldn’t go so he gave them to us. I actually painted my face for that one. What a great freaking regional. Arkansas, Fab 5 minus Webber, us, and Maryland.

Someone mentioned all 3 of the teams we played made the Final Four the next season. Well, Arkansas won in 1994, UCLA won in 1995 (took the Tyus Edney miracle vs Missouri to even get to the Sweet Sixteen)

I jumped so high in the OKC arena when Lou's shot went in that I twisted my ankle when I landed. My best moment from the Ark Reunion Arena game was when the flags guys came out with 5 T U L S A flags and the TU fans made more noise than when the Hogs came out. But, Ark outclassed us in the rematch from the great game in the Assembly Center. That OT loss got TU the 12th seed even after TU was upset in the MVC final. I was really surprised. My late dad was a night owl and had seen every PAC then 10 game on TV that season. He told me before the game "we have such a better team than UCLA. I predict a win."
UCLA had been no. 1 in the polls earlier but finished on a skid. When the Bruins took the court in OKC, it was a thrill to hear their fight song live, but there were literally 50 UCLA fans. It was a Tulsa home game, when you add the OSU fans rooting for us that day.

The OSU 94 second half is the best game to watch. The clock stopped only 3 times from just over the 7 minute mark to when Dawkins hit his corner 3 with about 8 seconds left. Will that ever again happen in any game?

Exceptionally well played on both sides.

I've had fun ribbing OSU star Randy Rutherford about that game. We debated about Dawkins' 3-pt. shooting ability. Dawkins was very capable as a senior.

I did some digging and found an old VHS tape of the TU-UCLA game. I know UCLA has destroyed all the rest. I will try to post it soon.

I did some digging and found an old VHS tape of the TU-UCLA game. I know UCLA has destroyed all the rest. I will try to post it soon.
Pay some kid in the Ukraine $100 to keep it posted forever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT