ADVERTISEMENT

11 am kickoff for TU Houston

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
I'm actually happy for personal reasons. This was going to be hard for me to make otherwise.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Also happy for personal reasons, best time. And, it likely makes UH fans (if any) come up Friday night and spend money on a hotel and dinner.

Was hoping for a night game... Probably will conflict with fall baseball league games.

I'll be there, have a family member that's a Frosh on the Houston team. So, I hope I don't get the whole fam pissed too much at me for saying coog high chant...

Reactions: TU_BLA
Same time as OU WVU. I know we have little control, but do you think the league would throw us a bone on these things?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
This was CBS Sports, so ESPN passed on this game. I hate the time. I hate the fact we don't know the schedule more than 2 weeks in advance. I am really thinking about dumping my season tickets in the future because with kids active in soccer and other stuff and no one having a flipping schedule ahead of time, it makes it nearly impossible to predict whether or not you can make a game. I'm not going to waste money on tickets that can't be used. TU needs to bow up and make sure the AAC understands that unless they want everyone in the country looking at a half empty stadium every week, early morning and early afternoon games at this time of year really don't allow the university to cultivate or attract any new fans, especially those with kids (youth football and soccer chew up a ton of time on those days). So unless my kid's game is at 9 or 10am or 3 or 4pm that day, I will have to DVR the game and watch it later. Sucks.

So glad I booked an early morning flight home that day on a whim so I won't miss any of the game. And I probably won't be up against too many of the big teams down my way so I'll be able to cause some trouble at a Houston bar.

I don't really know how people with kids do anything ever at any time on any day, really. Seems like it would be constant conflict.

And for being Oklahoma, they get stuck with that time a LOT too. That was our kick-off last time played in Tulsa. Their fans don't like it either.

Tis the price we pay for having to be a slave to TV. I'd rather a national broadcast on real tv at 11am than a 7pm espn3 affair.

If they keep winning, the daytime kickoffs will be a thing of the past

Homecoming with Memphis is a 7 PM - BUT on Friday (more TV nonsense).

LaMo and UCF clearly won't be primetime. Maybe Navy - in the freezing cold in November.

I would argue that more people watch on ESPN3 than CBSCS. It's certainly easier to find, and then we'd have a decent crowd for a night game. I'm going to miss most of the first half now.

Reactions: loca2874
Well, they can now with DirecTV and the like picking up the ESPN3 broadcasts on their regular broadcast channels. But in theory, yes, you're definitely right there.

I'm not sure how the AAC can tell ESPN & CBS what times we will accept. The Big XII can't do that.

I remember when our biggest concern was how many weeknight games we'd be forced to play because of TV. I'd prefer 7:00 PM over 11:00 AM, but at least it is Saturday.

Yeah a Thursday night isn't bad for TV, but a brutal time for getting out to a home game or tailgating.

Maybe if we start winning more like OU we can get a better time slot:cool:

A nice morning walk to the game is fine by me, but I don't have kids or have to travel more than 6 blocks.

A nice morning walk to the game is fine by me, but I don't have kids or have to travel more than 6 blocks.
Rrrrraaaaaahhh you young whipper-snappers complaining 'bout parking!

*Shakes old-man cane in the air*

Back in my day... Tulsa played at a field that was 90 yards long! That's 10 more yards we had to walk to get to the stadium! And they didn't serve no concessions neither! It was 125 degrees and we were eating salted peanuts in the sun! You kids and your fancy H-2-0! Pah!

Last edited:
During the OU game, they showed a vintage Tulsa World headline of the first OU/TU Game. There were Model Ts parked on the sideline of Skelly Field. I couldn't help but laugh at that given the parking nonsense on here

Reactions: goldfan83 and Gold*
And they gave the fans free cheese wrappers for coming to the game. That's Merica at its best right there!

Reactions: bluegold70
4 or 5pm is the best start time for families. The sun should be below the press box and you can get home before 11 PM ideally.

lol, this sounds like a lotta fun

tumblr_mhybh8krBr1qcrvpvo1_250.gif

I am very happy with this start time as I have to travel from DFW to watch the game and then get home.

As for the start times, many of the conferences have to deal with television to decide the time a game will start, including the Big 12. It isn't preferable but it does give us enough money to pay for a coach who has already helped this team.

For the out of conference opponents, its an advantage for the team, at least from Kragthorpe's spin on it. He used to say it robbed the other team of a half day, or as much as a day and half, to prepare and make changes. Let's say you are scheduled for an 11am kick at home on Week 2. If you play at 11am on Week 1 at home and the other team plays an away game on Week 1 that is an 8pm kick, they may not get home until noon on Sunday. They will probably sleep walk in at 4am. So their assistants aren't doing anything until mid day on Sunday. Meanwhile, your guys were done, showered and working on next week, by 5pm on Saturday. He thought it worked well. Its one of the reasons he liked the Friday games.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Hey 11 isn't so bad. Look how much longer it gives us to celebrate that Saturday. Go Cane!

Let's review:

11 am To Early
2:30 pm To Hot
7 pm To Late

Maybe they have a 6 to 7 time slot we could ask for.
Only in oklahoma is 7pm too late. amazing. What is your age bud?

Anyone that complains about parking at our football games has questionable functioning mental capabilities. Seriously, are you F#@$ing serious?

<----- prefers 1 am start times with no policy on who gets in stadium

Goldfan83, I think you took my note in jest wrong, I was just recapping what everyone has been saying. Me I'm almost 70, but I don't care what time we kick off or what the weather is. I'll be there is I still kicking. Like Gold, I kinda liked the 12:20 am kickoff we had with O State myself, I do understand family's have issues with soccer, baseball and such, I went through that also. Regardless of what time we tee it up, Enjoy the game and Go Cane.

Sure enough, soccer schedule for October came out and my son has a 12pm game that day. Looks like I'm DVRing it. Anyone need 3 tickets?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT