ADVERTISEMENT

“Decision Time for TU on Haith” , Bill Haisten

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Tulsa World. Saturday February 27, 2021. I’ve seen several coaches be released from the University of Tulsa and each time it was preceded by this exact type of article when the media and community finally publicly acknowledge the problem. I think Sittler , Klein and Bill Connors all did a piece like this when it finally had to be said.
Those of you with the skills can post it.

Reactions: TUMU and ctt8410
Well, old Hasty can read this forum. Good for him.

Even though I don’t usually like Haisten’s take on TU, sometimes it takes an article in the World to awaken the apathetic to the fact we have a serious problem with the basketball program.

Reactions: eastcane and Gold*
I think it is a good article. He wrote another classic on Montgomery near the end of the season. I don't want the sports writers to just be cheerleaders of the local program. They should be the ones that tell it like it is.

I think it is a good article. He wrote another classic on Montgomery near the end of the season. I don't want the sports writers to just be cheerleaders of the local program. They should be the ones that tell it like it is.
Exactly.
Cheerleaders suck.
And apathy is the right word.
Outside of MAYBE 2,000 fans, no one really cares. It's sad. Not all Haith's fault. I blame the admin.

And Levin is a moron. :)

Last edited:
I also noticed Haith added another game with Northeastern State (I believe) which counts as a win for TU.

I noticed no effort to schedule Arkansas or ORU ????????

I also noticed Haith added another game with Northeastern State (I believe) which counts as a win for TU.

I noticed no effort to schedule Arkansas or ORU ????????
How do you know who he tried to get.

Maybe Frank thinks he can beat Northeastern State. I don’t think he can.

We will beat Northeastern State by 30 at least (They are 4-17) . I hope Urbancic , Shumate and Williams finally get to play.

Last edited:
We will beat Northeastern State by 30 at least (They are 4-17) . I hope Urbancic , Shumate and Williams finally get to play.

One of only two good things about scheduling that game, the other being a second chance to give a proper senior night.

While I agree about you with the paper and previous articles, maybe a decade ago this would have made a real impact, it still might with the older generations of fans in the area, but this will reach almost zero people below 30.

Now maybe it's a blessing the people whose support we need to win, will miss the backhanded writing snark is big right now on forming impressions. The people who the AD will listen to will likely see it and be upset. At some point we do have to communicate to the larger and especially the younger community, that Tulsa deserves support and will make changes when necessary to be deserving of it.

While I agree about you with the paper and previous articles, maybe a decade ago this would have made a real impact, it still might with the older generations of fans in the area, but this will reach almost zero people below 30.
As you alluded to, people who make and influence decisions at TU read the paper and that's probably all that ever mattered anyway. I doubt that people who still read the newspaper even know it's "yesterday's news" both literally and figuratively.
As for the under 30 crowd, I don't think you are going to reach them through local media. We have to get good enough to get national coverage. That will get their attention.

Reactions: t-townpod
As you alluded to, people who make and influence decisions at TU read the paper and that's probably all that ever mattered anyway. I doubt that people who still read the newspaper even know it's "yesterday's news" both literally and figuratively.
As for the under 30 crowd, I don't think you are going to reach them through local media. We have to get good enough to get national coverage. That will get their attention.

I hope that isn't TU's plan. That's a lot of gambling when the reality is we need to be doing the outreach and work to connect with the community, regardless of age.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT