ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 News/Notes TU Spring Football update -- Running Back

Maybe an unpopular take, but I think we will be even better running the football than we were last year. No offense to Shamari, but Watkins is a much more explosive back, trusts the hole to be where the play is designed and his acceleration is much better. He has the breakaway speed we've missed since Ja"terian Douglas. I think Jackson has a chance to be a special back. And we've got a winner, at least in the name dept., with Cookie Desiderio.

Maybe an unpopular take, but I think we will be even better running the football than we were last year. No offense to Shamari, but Watkins is a much more explosive back, trusts the hole to be where the play is designed and his acceleration is much better. He has the breakaway speed we've missed since Ja"terian Douglas. I think Jackson has a chance to be a special back. And we've got a winner, at least in the name dept., with Cookie Desiderio.
We will be better with Watkins and Prince getting the carries previously given to Brooks. No question.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
To be better, we're going to need to fill some holes on the line and develop some depth there that is effective. A legitimate threat of an effective passing game likewise would be beneficial.

To be better, we're going to need to fill some holes on the line and develop some depth there that is effective. A legitimate threat of an effective passing game likewise would be beneficial.
The line will be fine. I've mentioned a few times that Bray and Muskrat are ready to go at the OT spot

Both Watkins and Prince are good I just hope they can block as good as Brooks there was one play in the bowl where Brooks blocked a blitzing linebacker which ended up as a touchdown for us.

Reactions: Oak775 and TU1NNJ
The line will be fine. I've mentioned a few times that Bray and Muskrat are ready to go at the OT spot
Dillon Wade needs to put on 20 more pounds to 315-325…..He needs to get “meaner than a snake”.

So go the players at the “margin” on this team from average to ”technical and very good” this team can win.

I watched the Denver Broncos and Elway in the Super Bowl against against the Packers in San Diego, and the Broncos had the smallest line in the NFL and yet they were driving guys off the line.

Our starting tackles last year were very physical, pile drivers, but the tackles were penalty machines. Lazy feet.

Better technique, less penalties will make up for not as much brawn.

Both Watkins and Prince are good I just hope they can block as good as Brooks there was one play in the bowl where Brooks blocked a blitzing linebacker which ended up as a touchdown for us.
This is a key part of what we'll miss from Brooks. I remember watching him play as a Sr at Union and thinking he was ready to play day 1 at TU because of how good he was as a blocker and a pass catcher. Union would split him out wide and use him as a pass catcher for the quick screen and also to use as a blocker for those same plays. I remember him blowing up a DB from Norman North who was going to play D1 and was getting run as the best player in the state.

I think Watkins will pick up the blocking. Every time I see him in the game he seems laser focused and giving 110% on every play whether it's as RB or KR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT