ADVERTISEMENT

TU announces non-conference football schedules for 21-23

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Link below:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/202...e-football-schedules-from-2021-thru-2023.aspx

Scheduling UC Davis and Jacksonville St may be a mistake. When scheduling FCS teams you shouldn’t schedule teams that are usual playoff teams and from outside our geographic area (they won’t help attendance). No upside and a great deal of downside.

Washington, Ohio St and Ole Miss are good additions and opportunity for us to get some recognition if we win.

Last edited:
Northwestern St, Cal-Davis, Jacksonville St and Ark Pine Bluff aren’t too exciting, but that’s the price you pay when you schedule a bunch of 2 for 1s and single game contracts.

Did we get Cal Davis because USC dropped them?
Yes, I believe that's correct.

Sept. 2 UC Davis
Sept. 11 @ Oklahoma State
Sept. 18 @ Ohio State
Sept. 25 Arkansas State

Sept. 3 @ Wyoming
Sept. 10 Northern Illinois
Sept. 17 Jacksonville State
Sept. 24 @ Ole Miss

Sept. 2 Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Sept. 9 @ Washington
Sept. 16 Oklahoma
Sept. 23 @ Northern Illinois

Three 1-AA games as expected. Interesting to see Dan Hawkins make his return to Skelly with UC Davis next year. That '04 game vs. Boise was one of the more exciting games I can ever remember attending.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Three 1-AA games as expected. Interesting to see Dan Hawkins make his return to Skelly with UC Davis next year. That '04 game vs. Boise was one of the more exciting games I can ever remember attending.
That was one of the most exciting games I missed. I did keep running back and forth to the hotel bar at my friend's wedding reception to get the updates (don't worry, the groom kept coming out there to check the score too...he is also a TU alum). I was also keeping tabs on the Red Sox and their game 3 ALCS disaster to the Yankees.

i prefer schedules like the 2022 one. the games are more winnable and not so brutal. for now, just win.

Hines is reporting a 4 game home and home x2 with Army 2025-2028. Good series

Last edited:
Hines is reporting a 4 game home and Jima x2 with Army 2025-2028. Good series
Media release...

TULSA, Okla. ––
The University of Tulsa announced today an agreement for a 4-game home-and-home football series with Army beginning in West Point, NY, in 2025 and continuing in Tulsa in 2026.

The four-game series will take place over a four-year time span, 2025-2028. Tulsa will open the series at Army on September 13, 2025 and return to West Point on November 13, 2027.

The teams will face-off at Tulsa's H.A. Chapman Stadium on Sept. 19, 2026 and Oct. 21, 2028. In those two seasons, Tulsa will also have a home contest, which has already been announced, against the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

The two schools have met just once before as the Golden Hurricane captured a 49-29 victory on Nov. 17, 2007, at Michie Stadium in West Point.

The Series…
Tulsa @ Army, Sept. 13, 2025
Army @ Tulsa, Sept. 19, 2026
Tulsa @ Army, Nov. 13, 2027
Army @ Tulsa, Oct. 21, 2028

After this, we’ll still need a home game in 2024, 25 and 27, and a road game in 2026 & 28.

Maybe 1 more FCS opponent then a couple of nice home and homes.

After this, we’ll still need a home game in 2024, 25 and 27, and a road game in 2026 & 28.

Maybe 1 more FCS opponent then a couple of nice home and homes.
If I'm Gragg, you go after and inquire about a series with Wake Forest and/or Vanderbilt and see if you can double up with some basketball games. I think a Wake/TU football game and all the ESPN announcers can talk about is a matchup of the two smallest FBS schools squaring off.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Media release...

TULSA, Okla. ––
The University of Tulsa announced today an agreement for a 4-game home-and-home football series with Army beginning in West Point, NY, in 2025 and continuing in Tulsa in 2026.

The four-game series will take place over a four-year time span, 2025-2028. Tulsa will open the series at Army on September 13, 2025 and return to West Point on November 13, 2027.

The teams will face-off at Tulsa's H.A. Chapman Stadium on Sept. 19, 2026 and Oct. 21, 2028. In those two seasons, Tulsa will also have a home contest, which has already been announced, against the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

The two schools have met just once before as the Golden Hurricane captured a 49-29 victory on Nov. 17, 2007, at Michie Stadium in West Point.

The Series…
Tulsa @ Army, Sept. 13, 2025
Army @ Tulsa, Sept. 19, 2026
Tulsa @ Army, Nov. 13, 2027
Army @ Tulsa, Oct. 21, 2028
I hope they don’t cancel after the 2025 road game like they did last time.

If I'm Gragg, you go after and inquire about a series with Wake Forest and/or Vanderbilt and see if you can double up with some basketball games. I think a Wake/TU football game and all the ESPN announcers can talk about is a matchup of the two smallest FBS schools squaring off.
Also Duke, Boston College, Northwestern, and Rutgers all games that can be won against non-AAC P6 schools.

But wait, I was told we would never sign a series with Army again. By important people, who know big donors.

I'll file that with board takes that Arkansas won't ever come to Tulsa.

Right next to Texas Tech will never play us because 10+ years ago and Lawpokes brother in law.

The further we go along in this new scheduling the more it looks exactly like what some have said we need to be doing for the last three years. Now if we can just eliminate or restrict the buy games we can get a very solid, winnable schedule, one that a good coach can use to springboard.

Northwestern, Vandy, Duke, Wake, BYU, etc are good teams we can probably sign to home and home series.

That was one of the most exciting games I missed. I did keep running back and forth to the hotel bar at my friend's wedding reception to get the updates (don't worry, the groom kept coming out there to check the score too...he is also a TU alum). I was also keeping tabs on the Red Sox and their game 3 ALCS disaster to the Yankees.

Was that game even televised? They were ranked pretty high but 10+ years ago we were rarely ever on TV. Kids these days have no idea what it's like to drive around searching for a good AM740 signal after dark.

Was that game even televised? They were ranked pretty high but 10+ years ago we were rarely ever on TV. Kids these days have no idea what it's like to drive around searching for a good AM740 signal after dark.
It was during the WAC years when you had to have the enhanced ESPN package. I was at the game too, so I have no idea if it was on. Probably but you had to pay.

It was during the WAC years when you had to have the enhanced ESPN package. I was at the game too, so I have no idea if it was on. Probably but you had to pay.
It was a bar so I think they had a bunch of different games on and probably did have the College GameDay package. I can remember the score going back and forth and being like "WTF. Of course they play one of their best games when I can't be there."

Link below:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/202...e-football-schedules-from-2021-thru-2023.aspx

Scheduling UC Davis and Jacksonville St may be a mistake. When scheduling FCS teams you shouldn’t schedule teams that are usual playoff teams and from outside our geographic area (they won’t help attendance). No upside and a great deal of downside.

Washington, Ohio St and Ole Miss are good additions and opportunity for us to get some recognition if we win.

That's quite generous of you, assuming the admin would have a basic level of knowledge about FCS teams!

You're right and if they want to know how to really kill attendance, start the season with a loss to a passionate FCS perennial playoff contender that few from Tulsa have heard of. If TU loses, that will be a huge blunder, but at least they're not complete cupcakes.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
It’s a shame we didn’t get to see more of Tarik Cohen when they beat N.C. A&T in 2016.

UDub fans are terrible. Get ready to see alot of men with sweaters around the necks & waists and hear about yachts.
Only tailgate I’ve been to where the tailgaters offered me as a visiting fan some sushi and white wine. Maybe the best stadium in the country in terms of ambiance/location/method of arrival (boat), but it’s a different experience for sure.

Only tailgate I’ve been to where the tailgaters offered me as a visiting fan some sushi and white wine. Maybe the best stadium in the country in terms of ambiance/location/method of arrival (boat), but it’s a different experience for sure.

They have no idea where Tulsa even is, let alone Pullman

UDub fans are terrible. Get ready to see alot of men with sweaters around the necks & waists and hear about yachts.
When I saw UW, I first thought of Wyoming. I’ve been to a couple games in Laramie and it’s pretty cool. Except, there get ready to see a lot of men wearing overalls and camouflage jackets and hear about 4x4’s. Still....a great venue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT