ADVERTISEMENT

FIBA rules in NCAA would ruin Haggerty’s Game

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
FIBA rules call all fouls on offensive players initiating contact while dribbling. If NCAA officials start following this pattern as has been recommended then 80% of Haggerty’s game is gone. Team USA lost to France in the Olympics for this exact reason. TU was hoping they would never change to this interpretation but now maybe we would be okay with it. With rules as currently interpreted, the defender cannot keep from being called with a foul when contact is initiated by the offensive player.

Haggerty was one of the best in the nation at what is called “foul baiting “.

Last edited:
FIBA rules call all fouls on offensive players initiating contact while dribbling. If NCAA officials start following this pattern as has been recommended then 80% of Haggerty’s game is gone. Team USA lost to France in the Olympics for this exact reason. TU was hoping they would never change to this interpretation but now maybe we would be okay with it. With rules as currently interpreted, the defender cannot keep from being called with a foul when contact is initiated by the offensive player.

Haggerty was one of the best in the nation at what is called “foul baiting “.
This is why team USA struggles in the Olympics. NBA fouls are called offensive fouls in international play. Harden must hate playing int'l basketball.

Now do something about the moving screens, the palm overs, add another official to address back side hand checks, three second violations, and offensive fouls to the body under the rim. Basketball is basically unwatchable at this point.

Reactions: rusty-c
Now do something about the moving screens, the palm overs, add another official to address back side hand checks, three second violations, and offensive fouls to the body under the rim. Basketball is basically unwatchable at this point.
I think they could actually do this if they go to six fouls which they should. The officials could tighten things up without feeling they are ruining game time for star players.

Reactions: HuffyCane
This is why team USA struggles in the Olympics. NBA fouls are called offensive fouls in international play. Harden must hate playing int'l basketball.
The NBA has started changing the rules to better align with FIBA rules post all star break.

Not perfect but they don’t call all those Harden fouls like they have been the past decade or two.

I hope that is a rules emphasis for next year. Too much offense advantage now as the pendulum over swung. Six fouls might stop the silly 2 foul- bench things the first half.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT