ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

That was the rumor for Pritchard & the fact for Magnay. Cheating on and missing his girl?

Last edited:
If Shea Seals doesn't get all those fouls against Clemson

Shea’s teammates let him down that afternoon while he watched from the bench.

We didn’t lose that game due to those fouls. We lost due to horrid free throw shooting.

I was there. Tough drive home.
I was there . You passed me on the way home. I could have added one more if........If Rod Thompson had not fouled out with our good lead in the NCAA against Louisville leaving us with no point guard though Bonner tried.

I was there . You passed me on the way home. I could have added one more if........If Rod Thompson had not fouled out with our good lead in the NCAA against Louisville leaving us with no point guard though Bonner tried.
I did?

Me and my dad?

Interesting thoughts from Calipari.

More proof of less and less scholarships being offered. Programs at the top offer less scholarships, to have more money to offer per player in basketball. This is at top programs. The student/athlete is not being advocated for. Many disadvantaged student/athletes are getting stepped on, for the profit of the pro college athlete. Minorities &/or poor athletes are having avenues to college destroyed forever.

More proof of less and less scholarships being offered. Programs at the top offer less scholarships, to have more money to offer per player in basketball. This is at top programs. The student/athlete is not being advocated for. Many disadvantaged student/athletes are getting stepped on, for the profit of the pro college athlete. Minorities &/or poor athletes are having avenues to college destroyed forever.

Have to hope some of the players who don't get scholarships to Arkansas and other programs that might follow Calipari's thinking, end up at Tulsa and other programs similar to us.
I'm trying to think positive.

Last edited:
Have to hope some of the players who don't get scholarships to Arkansas and other programs that might follow Calipari's thinking, end up at Tulsa and other programs similar to us.
I'm trying to think positive.
All the big dogs are pretty much done recruiting HS talent unless you've got a can't miss one and done NBA guy. Their strategy is now to have guys like Amie and other mule runners tamper with currently rostered D1 guys and offer them a bag of cash leaving schools like Tulsa all the HS talent to develop for them. College athletics has become a true farm development system within itself.

Any successful Tulsa season is likely one and done. Rather it be from multiple players signed with one year of eligibility or players with multiple years of eligibility remaining after a successful season, who leave for NIL money at another school.

Nothing stays the same, more change is needed. Interpret that however you choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Lowery
All the big dogs are pretty much done recruiting HS talent unless you've got a can't miss one and done NBA guy. Their strategy is now to have guys like Amie and other mule runners tamper with currently rostered D1 guys and offer them a bag of cash leaving schools like Tulsa all the HS talent to develop for them. College athletics has become a true farm development system within itself.
Yep, we've seen this movie before, small market baseball organizations developing talent for the large market (win now) organizations. Small market enjoy a few good/great years but the big markets get the majority of the prime years. Players are signed, developed, provided an opportunity to prove themselves, then leave for greener pastures (free agency).

Seems like college basketball is becoming 1990's/2000's era MLB baseball. MLB slowed the bleeding and reduced the amount of small market teams from the development cycle by implementing a payroll/luxury tax system, what will the NCAA do?

TX

there needs to be a Salary Cap like the pros
I might be totally wrong bout this but I thought you can't have a salary cap without collective bargaining, and that requires entities on both sides, a "league" and a "union"? And a salary cap only works if you have revenue sharing and salary floors to complement the salary cap.

I'm not sure there's any way for "college" sports to deal with this other than just admitting they're a pro league and setting up like one. But they'll try everything they can first to avoid that.

I might be totally wrong bout this but I thought you can't have a salary cap without collective bargaining, and that requires entities on both sides, a "league" and a "union"? And a salary cap only works if you have revenue sharing and salary floors to complement the salary cap.

I'm not sure there's any way for "college" sports to deal with this other than just admitting they're a pro league and setting up like one. But they'll try everything they can first to avoid that.
how about all the nil money going into a common pool and distribute evenly to all D1 athletes.

how about all the nil money going into a common pool and distribute evenly to all D1 athletes.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the traditional pro leagues have max salaries that are less than what the top players would receive in a truly unrestricted market, and the minimum salaries are more than roster fillers would receive. So it sort of works like this, the agreement takes some from the top and gives it to the bottom. But obviously not equal for all. I assume the "union" side would never accept that.

No private contributors would want to give to Nil if it didn't benefit their school. The only motive for private contributors is the advancement of their schools teams. I could go on about where that could lead if it happened that way, but it will never happen that way.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the traditional pro leagues have max salaries that are less than what the top players would receive in a truly unrestricted market, and the minimum salaries are more than roster fillers would receive. So it sort of works like this, the agreement takes some from the top and gives it to the bottom. But obviously not equal for all. I assume the "union" side would never accept that.
Imagine if you saw a HS draft….. Picking first in this year’s draft….. Purdue is on the clock and is expected to Select the top prospect Cam Newton….

Imagine if you saw a HS draft….. Picking first in this year’s draft….. Purdue is on the clock and is expected to Select the top prospect Cam Newton….
I think I'd hate it less than the current system. How about you?

I guess the problem is that kids in theory can pick a school for valid reasons unrelated to athletics, which makes a draft not work. You're not going to force some smart kid with goals and ambitions in addition to athletics to go to OSU or Houston just because those "schools" finished somewhere in the lottery.

Imagine if there was a draft of HS kids in pro football just like the mlb... kids with no chance of getting into college would be able to go to a minor league team (possibly licensed by an associated NFP University) never go to class and be paid to play football.

Imagine if there was a draft of HS kids in pro football just like the mlb... kids with no chance of getting into college would be able to go to a minor league team (possibly licensed by an associated NFP University) never go to class and be paid to play football.
What generally becomes of the kids who get drafted for baseball and go straight in? Most never end up in MLB. Do they develop other life skills? Or is it just a long "gap year" after which they then try to figure out if they want to be a plumber or construction worker or whatever you do without a college degree? Those guys get paid crap so they're not like pro players who can take their earnings and save it up. I guess I'm asking, is this a system that's good for the kids who forego college to play minor league baseball? Seems like a lot of them might be better off starting their lives out of high school rather than in baseball.

What generally becomes of the kids who get drafted for baseball and go straight in? Most never end up in MLB. Do they develop other life skills? Or is it just a long "gap year" after which they then try to figure out if they want to be a plumber or construction worker or whatever you do without a college degree? Those guys get paid crap so they're not like pro players who can take their earnings and save it up. I guess I'm asking, is this a system that's good for the kids who forego college to play minor league baseball? Seems like a lot of them might be better off starting their lives out of high school rather than in baseball.
Ask Brian Cardwell..

I don't know about how it generally works, but I knew a guy in college and another that I was a TA for in grad school that were a former minor leaguers. Both got drafted and went straight to the minors after high school, played a few years, and then washed out like 90% of them do.

I talked with one of them in detail about their situation/past, and he told me that MLB was paying for a large chunk of his college. Apparently he had it in his contract that if he never made it to the majors, the league would pay for him to go back to college if he so chose. Not sure if it was a full ride, but I got the impression that he wasn't terribly concerned about loans and such. Seemed like a fair deal given the low odds of success. Both of the guys I knew went back to get an engineering degree.

All of that was over 20 years ago, so things may have changed. I don't know if it was a standard deal, or something you only got as a "hot prospect" or something. But it suddenly made a lot more sense to me why top prospects often jump past college baseball in favor of the minor leagues in a way that isn't true of other sports.

Reactions: noble cane
I don't know about how it generally works, but I knew a guy in college and another that I was a TA for in grad school that were a former minor leaguers. Both got drafted and went straight to the minors after high school, played a few years, and then washed out like 90% of them do.

I talked with one of them in detail about their situation/past, and he told me that MLB was paying for a large chunk of his college. Apparently he had it in his contract that if he never made it to the majors, the league would pay for him to go back to college if he so chose. Not sure if it was a full ride, but I got the impression that he wasn't terribly concerned about loans and such. Seemed like a fair deal given the low odds of success. Both of the guys I knew went back to get an engineering degree.

All of that was over 20 years ago, so things may have changed. I don't know if it was a standard deal, or something you only got as a "hot prospect" or something. But it suddenly made a lot more sense to me why top prospects often jump past college baseball in favor of the minor leagues in a way that isn't true of other sports.
I remember they got treated like dog poo forever but then they unionized last year and their benefits have really improved. Don't know about the college thing, that seems like the least they should get.

I remember they got treated like dog poo forever but then they unionized last year and their benefits have really improved. Don't know about the college thing, that seems like the least they should get.
So.... you dont think that the NFLPA would take care of them?.. the NBAPA and MLBPA takes care of minor league players.. they cant play their chosen sport in college (which I think is BS esp when kids can go to an "academy" between HS and college and still play), but they can play any other..

So.... you dont think that the NFLPA would take care of them?.. the NBAPA and MLBPA takes care of minor league players.. they cant play their chosen sport in college (which I think is BS esp when kids can go to an "academy" between HS and college and still play), but they can play any other..
Minor league BB players were not unionized until last year. G League players have their own union, as do minor league hockey players. They could either join the NFLPA if they wanted to and the NFLPA wanted to take them, or create a minor league football union, if they were allowed to unionize and voted for it. Schools will of course do everything they can to prevent that. Politicians are trying to make it illegal for them to unionize. Who knows what will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT