ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament

That seems like a letdown hire...does it not?
Enfield was the talk of college basketball with Florida Gulf Coast's dunk city run. It's hard to win at USC as they will always be UCLAs little brother in basketball. And this year he had the extra hard task of trying to win with Bronny and his dad in his ear. First, Bronny isn't very good when he's not the most talented or gifted player on the court like he was in HS. His status is solely because he is LeBron's son.

Enfield probably has east coast roots and going to SMU means $$$ and not having the stupid ridiculous travel USC is going to be subject to in the B1G.

Enfield was the talk of college basketball with Florida Gulf Coast's dunk city run. It's hard to win at USC as they will always be UCLAs little brother in basketball. And this year he had the extra hard task of trying to win with Bronny and his dad in his ear. First, Bronny isn't very good when he's not the most talented or gifted player on the court like he was in HS. His status is solely because he is LeBron's son.

Enfield probably has east coast roots and going to SMU means $$$ and not having the stupid ridiculous travel USC is going to be subject to in the B1G.
SMU is also going to have stupid ridiculous travel as a member of the ACC.

Let's just assume that SMU is both stupid and ridiculous in so, so, so many ways....
For whatever reasons, SMU's love affair with trying to climb a level above their former
social status reminds me of Led Zepp's "Stairway to Heaven"....What was the line? "And
she's buying her stairway to Heaven"...

I keep wondering how it will turn out....:)

Last edited:
It won't turn out well...it never does.
I am not sure. At this point if could go bad (FSU and Clemson leave without paying the GR) if ACC falls apart or good if ACC stays in tact and SMU gets greater exposure.

Eh, not as bad as you think. Flying from Dallas anywhere is far easier than flying from LA to anywhere in the B1G except for maybe Minnesota and Northwestern. Everything else is going to take a flight to Chicago and a connecting flight somewhere OR a long bus ride. SMU will be able to fly direct to Raleigh, Richmond, the Florida schools. And travel to Palo Alto/Berkley isn't awful s they can fly direct to SF or Oakland.
I am not sure. At this point if could go bad (FSU and Clemson leave without paying the GR) if ACC falls apart or good if ACC stays in tact and SMU gets greater exposure.
The only sport SMU will be competitive in in the ACC will be golf. Their soccer team is about to become irrelevant in that conference. I mean Clemson, Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Virginia are blue bloods in men's soccer and they're adding Stanford which has been preseason number 1 a few times in the last decade. Even in men's golf though they're still taking a back seat to the likes of Wake Forest which is THE blue blood of men's golf. I mean SMU had Payne Stewart...Wake Forest can claim Arnold Palmer. As much as I liked Payne Stewart, he was never referred to as "The King". SMU is about to be thrust into irrelevancy in their quest to try to be more relevant.

Eh, not as bad as you think. Flying from Dallas anywhere is far easier than flying from LA to anywhere in the B1G except for maybe Minnesota and Northwestern. Everything else is going to take a flight to Chicago and a connecting flight somewhere OR a long bus ride. SMU will be able to fly direct to Raleigh, Richmond, the Florida schools. And travel to Palo Alto/Berkley isn't awful s they can fly direct to SF or Oakland.

The only sport SMU will be competitive in in the ACC will be golf. Their soccer team is about to become irrelevant in that conference. I mean Clemson, Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Virginia are blue bloods in men's soccer and they're adding Stanford which has been preseason number 1 a few times in the last decade. Even in men's golf though they're still taking a back seat to the likes of Wake Forest which is THE blue blood of men's golf. I mean SMU had Payne Stewart...Wake Forest can claim Arnold Palmer. As much as I liked Payne Stewart, he was never referred to as "The King". SMU is about to be thrust into irrelevancy in their quest to try to be more relevant.
It is all about football TV $$$ - that is what will determine the success of this move. Clemson, FSU and likely UNC will impact if the ACC is intact and successful or not. SMU is along for the ride and hoping the conference is held together by the current agreements.

It is all about football TV $$$ - that is what will determine the success of this move. Clemson, FSU and likely UNC will impact if the ACC is intact and successful or not. SMU is along for the ride and hoping the conference is held together by the current agreements.
If there is an exodus of the top four football schools wouldn't you want us in? I would want us in 100%. Don't blame SMU at all.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
If there is an exodus of the top four football schools wouldn't you want us in? I would want us in 100%. Don't blame SMU at all.
This….if those four schools leave the ACC, I would hope TU does whatever it can to be one of the four new additions. In part because some if not all those replacements will likely come from the American.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Back to the original point. “It won’t turn out well” was referring to SMU. That was the point I was addressing. If the ACC implodes and TU (I hope), Tulane , UM, etc… join for less money than SMU paid then it didn’t turn out well for them but if the ACC stays intact then their investment will likely be a good one.

Back to the original point. “It won’t turn out well” was referring to SMU. That was the point I was addressing. If the ACC implodes and TU (I hope), Tulane , UM, etc… join for less money than SMU paid then it didn’t turn out well for them but if the ACC stays intact then their investment will likely be a good one.
Going to disagree:

1). I will wager SMU receives more conference payouts from the ACC over the next two years than they would have from the AAC. They have certainly seen an increase in football and basketball ticket revenue.

2). If those four schools do leave they will pay a hefty exit fee. Hundreds of millions of dollars. SMU will share in that distribution.

I don’t see how they can possible end up financially worse by making the move to the ACC.

Reactions: drboobay
Going to disagree:

1). I will wager SMU receives more conference payouts from the ACC over the next two years than they would have from the AAC. They have certainly seen an increase in football and basketball ticket revenue.

2). If those four schools do leave they will pay a hefty exit fee. Hundreds of millions of dollars. SMU will share in that distribution.

I don’t see how they can possible end up financially worse by making the move to the ACC.
Making the situation especially painful is the unique arrangement that SMU made with the ACC. Heavily motivated to be in the Power Five and backed by a plethora of mega-boosters, SMU agreed to accept no television revenue from the ACC in its first nine years in the conference. Jan 5, 2024

Making the situation especially painful is the unique arrangement that SMU made with the ACC. Heavily motivated to be in the Power Five and backed by a plethora of mega-boosters, SMU agreed to accept no television revenue from the ACC in its first nine years in the conference. Jan 5, 2024
The question is whether other revenue sources make up for the seven to eight million they are giving up from the American.

I will wager they will easily do so.

Cal and Stanford, joining along with SMU, will each receive a 30% share of ACC payouts. The three schools' withholdings will create an annual allotment of revenue between $50 million and $60 million. Some will be divided proportionally among the 14 full-time members plus Notre Dame (a league member in everything but football), and there will also be money set aside for performance incentives. Officials said there is also conference distribution of other leaguewide splits such as College Football Playoff or NCAA tournament revenue.

I will wager the total ACC payouts will exceed the amount they would have received if they would have stayed in the AAC.

Cal and Stanford, joining along with SMU, will each receive a 30% share of ACC payouts. The three schools' withholdings will create an annual allotment of revenue between $50 million and $60 million. Some will be divided proportionally among the 14 full-time members plus Notre Dame (a league member in everything but football), and there will also be money set aside for performance incentives. Officials said there is also conference distribution of other leaguewide splits such as College Football Playoff or NCAA tournament revenue.

I will wager the total ACC payouts will exceed the amount they would have received if they would have stayed in the AAC.
It will at least come close to meeting the value, but I'm assuming it will exceed our TV Money + payouts for basketball credits/football payouts for football championship etc. Does that new policy with no rewards for team participation start next year?

For whatever reasons, SMU's love affair with trying to climb a level above their former
social status reminds me of Led Zepp's "Stairway to Heaven"....What was the line? "And
she's buying her stairway to Heaven"...

I keep wondering how it will turn out....:)
Since we're doing music references, let's go with AC/DC and hope that they are on a "Highway to Hell"

Who cares F pony! That is really all that matters. We need to weasel our way into the Big 12.
It's probably frowned upon at SMU, but I understand there may be an issue with bestiality in Stoolwater... The same Stoolwater that will make sure we never see our way into the Big 12.

It's probably frowned upon at SMU, but I understand there may be an issue with bestiality in Stoolwater... The same Stoolwater that will make sure we never see our way into the Big 12.
OSU will have zero say if the networks want TU in the Big12.

For the second straight tournament, the Big XII has again underperformed after being seeded as the best conference in the country. Their only remaining hope is a school that played in Tulsa’s conference last season.

To get away from the portal I will watch the sweet sixteen. Kolek (Marquette) is the best PG in the tournament.

I want anyone other than UCONN, but with Houston’s loss, I don’t know who can take them out.

I want anyone other than UCONN, but with Houston’s loss, I don’t know who can take them out.
Purdue can. There seems to be a huge conspiracy to get Eddy a title. How he doesn't foul out of every game is just mind boggling. The number of times he goes through players to grab rebounds he should foul out in five minutes played. Tennessee didn't stand a chance in that game with the lopsided way the refs were calling it. Hopefully Rick Barnes laid into the officiating in the post game. Just brutal.

Also congrats to NC State on the men's and women's side, both going to their respective Final Fours. The men have now won 9 straight games and they just took down ACC and Research Triangle rival Duke. I'm pretty sure someone is going to turn the whiny Kyle Filipowski face into a meme soon. My son was rooting for NC State (IYKYK).

The call on Filipowski throwing the ball off the shot clock and "T" on State was terrible. Fun to watch Burns enjoy beat up on Duke.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Purdue can. There seems to be a huge conspiracy to get Eddy a title. How he doesn't foul out of every game is just mind boggling. The number of times he goes through players to grab rebounds he should foul out in five minutes played. Tennessee didn't stand a chance in that game with the lopsided way the refs were calling it. Hopefully Rick Barnes laid into the officiating in the post game. Just brutal.

Also congrats to NC State on the men's and women's side, both going to their respective Final Fours. The men have now won 9 straight games and they just took down ACC and Research Triangle rival Duke. I'm pretty sure someone is going to turn the whiny Kyle Filipowski face into a meme soon. My son was rooting for NC State (IYKYK).
Musta watched different Purdue games. Edey was getting hammered and the refs stopped calling anything. Dude should have been shooting way more FTs.

SMU's travel in the ACC is only 1 time zone. At USC in the B1G the travel would be 2 or 3 time zones.
SMU’s core ACC opponents are Stanford and Cal. They will play them regularly. They are 2 time zones & 1730 miles away. They also will travel to Miami, Boston & Syracuse. They have ZERO nearby rivals.

Their closest conference mate is Georgia Tech, 780 miles away. Every other member of the ACC is in a different time zone.

I call that ridiculous travel for a college athletic program.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Let's talk women's NCAA tournament a little. I think it is a foregone conclusion that South Carolina is winning it all. There's no one close to their talent level. They beat the 8 seed in their region by 40 pts. USC was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (Kansas) until the last few minutes last night. Iowa was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (WVA) until the last minute. I just don't see anyone really testing South Carolina.

As for individual players, people have completely forgotten about Paige Bueckers because she missed most of the last 2 seasons with injuries. Last night she put up the easiest 32 pts, 10 reb I've ever seen. And Geno fired a shot out there calling Bueckers "the best player in college basketball". I tend to agree but she hasn't had the same level of support that past UCONN teams have had for players like Breanna Stewart and Taurasi. UCONN lacks depth and they actually lack size. Aaliyah Edwards is a monster for them but they just don't have complementary size to help her on the boards. This is why they're a 3 seed this year.

Caitlin Clark- tremendous player. It's not just about the points for her. She also has over 1000 assists in her career and closing in on 1000 rebounds. Iowa struggled last night because they simply couldn't hit the shots they normally make. They have a good group of players and it's not just the Clark show. WVa got in their faces all night last night and lots of clutching and grabbing on cuts and motion which the refs let go. I will say the refs let the women play a lot more than the refs on the men's side. That A&M/Houston game was a tough watch because there was no flow.

USC- watch them play and keep an eye on #12 Juju Watkins. She's just a freshman and she is like the women's version of Michael Jordan. 6'2" guard. Just so smooth with the ball and has great range and is a really good passer. Avg. 26.9 ppg, 7.3 RPG, and 2.3 APG along with 2.4 steals pg.
The NCAA couldn't have scripted the women's tournament better if they had tried (other than not being able to measure the 3 point line on one end of the court).

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
SMU’s core ACC opponents are Stanford and Cal. They will play them regularly. They are 2 time zones & 1730 miles away. They also will travel to Miami, Boston & Syracuse. They have ZERO nearby rivals.

Their closest conference mate is Georgia Tech, 780 miles away. Every other member of the ACC is in a different time zone.

I call that ridiculous travel for a college athletic program.
Thanks I keep forget about the pac teams moving to the big 10. However, for the purpose of jet lag I have found it easier to travel west than to travel east. I do believe that Georgia is in the eastern time zone.

Last edited:
The NCAA couldn't have scripted the women's tournament better if they had tried (other than not being able to measure the 3 point line on one end of the court).
Caitlin Clark is ridiculous. 40+ points, 15 assists, 8 rebounds. If a men's player did that they would never stop talking about it all week. And she gets to play Paige Bueckers in the national semi and Bueckers has been so overshadowed by Clark, Angel Reese, JuJu Watkins, and South Carolina that no one realizes she is, according to Geno, the best player in the country. Had she not lost most of the previous 2 seasons to knee injuries she'd be the topic of conversation. And seriously, just a testament to Geno Auriemma's place in the list of great basketball coaches. 5 players lost to injury this season with 1 of those a projected starter for UCONN. And with NC State also making the Final Four the women's game has grown as it's not the same cast of characters every year (UCONN, Notre Dame, Stanford, Tennessee....Tennessee just fired their coach for not making the Sweet Sixteen). The power teams are still a bit consolidated but the wealth of talent is spreading.

And South Carolina...currently far and away the best team and Dawn Staley could be one of those coaches I could see taking on a men's program. I believe she has the strength to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT