ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Smith

Thinking this will turn out better than President not signing with Bayor.

Biggest announcement of the Montgomery era. Huge potential for the program.

This is a big deal for the long term trajectory of the program. Big time move. Seems like Montgomery is doing everything he can to fix what happened this year rather than making excuses.

Reactions: okie51
Various posts from SicEM365.com and baylorfans.com

"This was an anti-climactic revelation, it was pretty obvious he was going to go to a place with the offense he was recruited for and where he could easily win the starting spot.

We all knew it was Tulsa or Tulsa.

Chad President may have to consider switching positions like Chris Johnson did.

Great news. Good decision, Zach!

Good luck Zach!

I'm sure Monty was thrilled. After a great 11-2 year the previous year they really nose dived this year at Tulsa. This is win-win for both.

This is huge for Monty and Zach, agreed. Zach could tear up the AAC and get a good NFL look. Monty could ride him to a P5 job.

I am so happy for him! So is my brother a Tulsa alum. Tulsa is good school
So...he does have to sit out a year...right?

So...he does have to sit out a year...right?Correct, unless he graduates in the spring? I have no idea how close Zach is to graduating. But assuming he's not graduating then yes he has to sit a year."

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Chad President may have to consider switching positions like Chris Johnson did.

Correct, unless he graduates in the spring? I have no idea how close Zach is to graduating. "
Wish this guy would get in touch with Montgomery/President on the position thing.

I wish he was on a two year graduation track!

Huge pickup for you guys.......I watched him play a bunch this year and I thought he was the best young QB in the Big-12.........nothing at all like Chad President.......this is a kid that in your system will throw for 4000 yards and run for several hundred each season he plays........he is a true Blue chip program defining type player....congratulations!

Hope Brin or Boomer do well enough to take the backup role and President can switch positions this year. If he waits till his senior year, there won't be enough time for improvement to help us as much as he might be able to.

Reactions: TU Pilot
When we first reported the possibility last week of Zach Smith transferring from Baylor to Tulsa, it was still up in the air at that point, but it became official on Saturday when the quarterback stated his intentions on Twitter.

The 6-foot-4 and 225-pound signal caller plans to enroll at Tulsa for the spring semester, and he’ll have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2018 season due to transfer rules – meaning the Hurricane’s QB situation will get even more interesting down the road.

LINK: Smith adds interesting dynamic to Tulsa QB situation

Huge pickup for you guys.......I watched him play a bunch this year and I thought he was the best young QB in the Big-12.........nothing at all like Chad President.......this is a kid that in your system will throw for 4000 yards and run for several hundred each season he plays........he is a true Blue chip program defining type player....congratulations!
Congrats on a great season for the cowboys!

Hope Brin or Boomer do well enough to take the backup role and President can switch positions this year. If he waits till his senior year, there won't be enough time for improvement to help us as much as he might be able to.
I'll be honest, from what I've seen on film, Brin has all the tools to run this offense next year. The one thing he won't have is an intangible and that is experience at this level of game speed. Frequently, that is the one thing that keeps true FR QBs from being able to excel. And there is nothing to prepare them and get them ready for that other than actually playing in a game with that speed on the other side of the ball. Instead of making a decision in 1.5 seconds, now you have to make it in 1.1 or 1.2. And honestly, this was Skipper's downfall this year. He just didn't adapt to the speed quite as well as one would have hoped for.

I know nothing about Boomer. The limited film I've seen, he was capable at Collinsville, but nothing eye popping.

President needs to switch positions this year. Monty needs to push him that way. He could be an absolute game changer at WR for us.

Reactions: TU 1978
I'll be honest, from what I've seen on film, Brin has all the tools to run this offense next year. The one thing he won't have is an intangible and that is experience at this level of game speed. Frequently, that is the one thing that keeps true FR QBs from being able to excel. And there is nothing to prepare them and get them ready for that other than actually playing in a game with that speed on the other side of the ball. Instead of making a decision in 1.5 seconds, now you have to make it in 1.1 or 1.2. And honestly, this was Skipper's downfall this year. He just didn't adapt to the speed quite as well as one would have hoped for.

I know nothing about Boomer. The limited film I've seen, he was capable at Collinsville, but nothing eye popping.

President needs to switch positions this year. Monty needs to push him that way. He could be an absolute game changer at WR for us.
Have watched Boomer in person, he is not the answer.

I forsee a QB transfer out of TU in the next year or two. Somebody is going to want more playing time than we can give them.(Prolly even if President switches positions.)

I forsee a QB transfer out of TU in the next year or two. Somebody is going to want more playing time than we can give them.(Prolly even if President switches positions.)
Very possible, as QB transfers are just part of the process. Only one guy can be out there leading the team. Tulsa's had several quarterbacks transfer out. Josh Blankenship, Drew Westling, Clark Harrell, Mike Johnson, Shavodrick Beaver, Kalen Henderson, Ryan Rubley, Jabe Burgess, etc.

The Blankenship situation was by far the worst of those. The rest all got stuck behind really productive guys so you could understand them wanting to get out and have their chance. But Josh got benched so Burns could put "his guy" out there..."his guy" couldn't get the job done.

The one I wish we had a chance to see what he could really do was Clark Harrell.

Am I the only one who thought Luke Skipper(when he was't on his butt, receiver dropped ball or ran a lousy route) greatly improved during season? Don't usually take a stopwatch to games, but he looked mobile & accurate much of the time. My guess is that he'll be starter next year. Speaking of greatly improved, did anyone notice that Nigel caught most everything tossed his way during last 5 or 6 games? I'll tell you exactly how he turned it around: some coach had the idea to put Nige on special teams, he makes some solos & assisted tackles, gets pumped up & confidence goes crazy. With confidence, he starts using his natural ability & makes some plays. Good for him! TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Am I the only one who thought Luke Skipper(when he was't on his butt, receiver dropped ball or ran a lousy route) greatly improved during season? Don't usually take a stopwatch to games, but he looked mobile & accurate much of the time. My guess is that he'll be starter next year. Speaking of greatly improved, did anyone notice that Nigel caught most everything tossed his way during last 5 or 6 games? I'll tell you exactly how he turned it around: some coach had the idea to put Nige on special teams, he makes some solos & assisted tackles, gets pumped up & confidence goes crazy. With confidence, he starts using his natural ability & makes some plays. Good for him! TU Football: 1st,last,always!
I like Skipper...I think he can play but there were way too many high throws on the slip screens and bubbles. His footwork is not where it needs to be IMO. He frequently throws with his weight on the back foot...ball sails. We’ve mentioned it on the boards before, Monty has mentioned it, Gruden frequently mentions it when evaluating QBs...if you don’t have the proper footwork, eventually you’re going to fail as a QB.

The other thing Luke needs to improve is making sure the ball comes out on time. Slants need to be quick and precise. Too often the ball came out just a fraction late...just enough for the DB or LB to make a play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT