ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Smith ready to compete for starting QB spot at Tulsa

It's a nice article. Does TU have the type of WRs on campus that will allow Smith to show off his talent? If we do, will they get to play or have to sit behind a SR? I questioned a lot last year that maybe we were not playing our 4 best WRs...

Reactions: Buzzy56
It's a nice article. Does TU have the type of WRs on campus that will allow Smith to show off his talent? If we do, will they get to play or have to sit behind a SR? I questioned a lot last year that maybe we were not playing our 4 best WRs...
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. The answer to that is Hell No. Its like we tanked on purpose and held the best for this year. Almost like Monty knew this year was the one that mattered to our dismay. I’m excited about Smith anything is better than the QB performance we witnessed last year. We don’t need stars at the WR position. Just catch the ball and keep the chains moving!

Not to beat the nostalgia drum too loudly but the 2007 WR corps was the perfect mix. One deep threat, one scorer, one guy that was money on third down, and one guy that was a physical mismatch. None of them selfish.

Not to beat the nostalgia drum too loudly but the 2007 WR corps was the perfect mix. One deep threat, one scorer, one guy that was money on third down, and one guy that was a physical mismatch. None of them selfish.
Coach Jones and the Big O had Brennan Marion on today talking about his new job as offensive coordinator at William & Mary.

I would think that the bigger problem with our offense next year is going to be our receiving core. I think Zach will do a good job as QB, however, outside of Keylon Stokes I think our receivers are extremely weak, which will hurt Zach Smith's numbers next year.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I would think that the bigger problem with our offense next year is going to be our receiving core. I think Zach will do a good job as QB, however, outside of Keylon Stokes I think our receivers are extremely weak, which will hurt Zach Smith's numbers next year.

I’m hoping a new comer can step up and make a difference so we have at least 2 legit targets.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I'm going to miss Cole Neph. My daughter cheered for his team starting in 3rd grade and I've been watching him play ever since, excluding his 2 years at OSU of course.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I’m hoping a new comer can step up and make a difference so we have at least 2 legit targets.
We've got Cooksey, Perez, Santana, Crawford, Jackson, Rodgers, Collier, Florez, Lovick, & maybe one other who is new or young. Surely one of them can step up and be a solid #2 with a decent quarterback. If none of them can then it says a whole lot about the recruiting fail and/or teaching fail. 9 or 10 fails is a whole lot of fails. I think they would almost have to hit with one of them. The problem might be how much time Anderson/Johnson get because they are upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldenhurricane2
We've got Cooksey, Perez, Santana, Crawford, Jackson, Rodgers, Collier, Florez, Lovick, & maybe one other who is new or young. Surely one of them can step up and be a solid #2 with a decent quarterback. If none of them can then it says a whole lot about the recruiting fail and/or teaching fail. 9 or 10 fails is a whole lot of fails. I think they would almost have to hit with one of them. The problem might be how much time Hobbs/Johnson get because they are upper classmen.
Hobbs is gone. But yes, there seems to be a priority to play the upperclassmen regardless of whether or not the guys behind them may be better. Johnson and Anderson will play a ton this year but it doesn’t necessarily mean that any of the younger guys listed might not be better. I thought Stewart should have gotten about half of Hobbs’ snaps last year and every time he got a chance last season, he delivered a big catch. I thought Stewart had more juke to him plus was able to create a little more separation vs the DB. Stokes is a lot like his big brother and has some great hands. We need a Damaris Johnson type who can catch the screen and make something happen. We need a guy who can run the fly or the streak and create separation. That causes the safety to play a couple of extra steps off the line which frees up the slant, or the delayed hand off. Johnson is the one they tried to have run that all the time the last 2 years and he just doesn’t create enough separation to keep the safety honest.

Hobbs is gone. But yes, there seems to be a priority to play the upperclassmen regardless of whether or not the guys behind them may be better. Johnson and Anderson will play a ton this year but it doesn’t necessarily mean that any of the younger guys listed might not be better. I thought Stewart should have gotten about half of Hobbs’ snaps last year and every time he got a chance last season, he delivered a big catch. I thought Stewart had more juke to him plus was able to create a little more separation vs the DB. Stokes is a lot like his big brother and has some great hands. We need a Damaris Johnson type who can catch the screen and make something happen. We need a guy who can run the fly or the streak and create separation. That causes the safety to play a couple of extra steps off the line which frees up the slant, or the delayed hand off. Johnson is the one they tried to have run that all the time the last 2 years and he just doesn’t create enough separation to keep the safety honest.
My bad, I had Hobbs on the brain as one of the worst examples of that. I meant to say Anderson/Johnson. I'll correct above. We just wouldn't let go of Hobbs getting way too many plays, way too many throws. Hopefully Anderson doesn't step squarely into that spot this year, more so than last year.

You would think eventually Montgomery would let go of the notion that the upperclassmen play over underclassmen with his job on the line.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT