ADVERTISEMENT

You've got to love CNN

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
"Yesterday was the hottest day ever in Australia." Hmm.

So the Earth is around 5 Billion years old. The first time there was anything approaching a thermometer was 1709. Danny Fahrenheit invented it to replace a devise that went up or down but had no numbers.

https://jamaicahospital.org/newsletter/history-of-thermometers/

If CNN gave real news they would say "Yesterday was damn hot in Australia." Maybe the Aborigines made explorations into the Outback. Ever is a long time. But the way CNN works is to make overly bold statements then expect gullible people to accept them.

Maybe that was the headline but I believe the story on the website said "hottest day on record". And Galilean Thermometer was invented circa 1660 by pupils of Galileo and their students. It worked on the principle of buoyancy. As the air temp increased and thus increased the temp of the water (and decreasing its density), glass balls would rise to the top. I don't know that it specifically measured a number range.

Don't fall into the trap of just reading the headline. Headlines are pure click bait these days and often don't give an accurate depiction of what was actually contained in the report. It's like GOP Congressmen claiming the IG report said the FBI investigation of Trump's campaign was bogus (the actual report didn't say that at all). Or AG Barr's summary of the Mueller report saying there was no wrongdoing (the report didn't mention anything about likelihood of crimes being committed/not committed or exonerating POTUS). Upon testifying Mueller did say he believed the information he collected probably did indicate there was obstruction of justice from the White House.

We've become such a click bait society...read the actual article and the information contained therein. The headline is simply a grabber. In my line of work you're taught a principle that you have 3 seconds to grab someone's attention, 30 seconds to get them interested in what you wrote of published, and 3 minutes of their attention. The headline is designed to grab your attention, the opening paragraph is designed to keep your interest, and then they're going to try to lay out as much as they can and hope you can read it in 3 minutes (maybe journalism works a little different in the 3 minute side, but if you know, there are a ton of articles that are short snippets of the full story and they'll have 2-3 stories about the same subject but from different angles). The internet and the 24 hr news cycle has changed the way we take in info and the news orgs know if they don't capture you really quickly, you're moving on.

Maybe that was the headline but I believe the story on the website said "hottest day on record". And was invented circa 1660 by pupils of Galileo and their students. It worked on the principle of buoyancy. As the air temp increased and thus increased the temp of the water (and decreasing its density), glass balls would rise to the top. I don't know that it specifically measured a number range.

Don't fall into the trap of just reading the headline. Headlines are pure click bait these days and often don't give an accurate depiction of what was actually contained in the report. It's like GOP Congressmen claiming the IG report said the FBI investigation of Trump's campaign was bogus (the actual report didn't say that at all). Or AG Barr's summary of the Mueller report saying there was no wrongdoing (the report didn't mention anything about likelihood of crimes being committed/not committed or exonerating POTUS). Upon testifying Mueller did say he believed the information he collected probably did indicate there was obstruction of justice from the White House.

We've become such a click bait society...read the actual article and the information contained therein. The headline is simply a grabber. In my line of work you're taught a principle that you have 3 seconds to grab someone's attention, 30 seconds to get them interested in what you wrote of published, and 3 minutes of their attention. The headline is designed to grab your attention, the opening paragraph is designed to keep your interest, and then they're going to try to lay out as much as they can and hope you can read it in 3 minutes (maybe journalism works a little different in the 3 minute side, but if you know, there are a ton of articles that are short snippets of the full story and they'll have 2-3 stories about the same subject but from different angles). The internet and the 24 hr news cycle has changed the way we take in info and the news orgs know if they don't capture you really quickly, you're moving on.
I didn't fall for anything. I demonstrated the same thing you are saying.

Now as to the Galilean Thermometer, it didn't produce numbers, but trends up or down. I have a primitive form on my desk with rising and falling orbs containing liquids of various specific gravities. If you want to spend the money, you can get mercury thermometer over a foot long that will give you a temperature to the 0.01 degree and certified traceable to the US Bureau of Standards. Several range thermometers usually come in a case. Of course, thermocouple temperatures are also handy.

Here is a quote from the article after clicking:

Earlier this week, the city of Perth in Western Australia experienced three consecutive days above 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) -- which had never before happened in December, according to CNN meteorologists.

TUME: Never is a long time. They quote their own meteorologists and not government officials in Australia. December is mid Summer in Australia. By the way, I believe the record for Tulsa is 115.

Last edited:
I didn't fall for anything. I demonstrated the same thing you are saying.

Now as to the Galilean Thermometer, it didn't produce numbers, but trends up or down. I have a primitive form on my desk with rising and falling orbs containing liquids of various specific gravities. If you want to spend the money, you can get mercury thermometer over a foot long that will give you a temperature to the 0.01 degree and certified traceable to the US Bureau of Standards. Several usually come in a case. Of course, thermocouple temperatures are also handy.

Here is a quote from the article after clicking:

Earlier this week, the city of Perth in Western Australia experienced three consecutive days above 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) -- which had never before happened in December, according to CNN meteorologists.

TUME: Never is a long time. They quote their own meteorologists and not government officials in Australia. By the way, I believe the record for Tulsa is 115.
Which is odd about Australia because in watching the President's Cup last week most of the players were wearing sweaters on the course and Tiger Woods was wearing one of those puffy winter coats. I know Perth is in Western Australia but honestly the island isn't that big that you would expect temperatures in the 10-15 degree celsius range in Melbourne right? I know they are hitting their summer months in a few days and usually the temps in Melbourne are unbearable which is why the Australian Open plays a lot of matches in their domed courts. That take place in about a month.

Which is odd about Australia because in watching the President's Cup last week most of the players were wearing sweaters on the course and Tiger Woods was wearing one of those puffy winter coats. I know Perth is in Western Australia but honestly the island isn't that big that you would expect temperatures in the 10-15 degree celsius range in Melbourne right? I know they are hitting their summer months in a few days and usually the temps in Melbourne are unbearable which is why the Australian Open plays a lot of matches in their domed courts. That take place in about a month.
It is Summer there now. Their summer solstice.

Yes on click bait. Really aggravating/irritating.

I've noticed this(no headline) on CNN, more than other networks. Sometimes their article doesn't even talk about the headline one way or another. Really chaps my ass when I waste a minute or two skimming to find out the headline isn't really even there. I wouldn't have even have tapped on that article if they hadn't pulled that BS stunt with the Headline that wasn't even there.

Last edited:
All networks are getting bad, CNN and Fox, the three old standard CBS, ABC, and ABC. The other day I click on a story from BBC. I thought it was interesting until I notice it was 3 years old. Not joking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT