ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

I was just saying his days of club soccer are over. HS soccer will be over soon as well, hopefully mid May to be honest. He might get one more State Cup in June but who knows, Blitz can't seem to figure this age group out.

Yeah, he's missing a day of school to go up and he really doesn't like doing that and he has to be back before Tuesday as they have a game against Sand Springs, and you can't be absent from school and still play (I don't know how well OSSAA monitors this). We'll be going to Tufts the following week and he has met their coach at a camp and spoke with him a bit. He needs to reach out to them and to the WPI coach as those are the schools he is down to at this point unless GaTech comes back with an offer of admission OR NC State comes back with a nice scholarship.
Tech will bleed and offer late. Still think Michigan and TU are the best options.

Tech will bleed and offer late. Still think Michigan and TU are the best options.
Try and convince him that TU is among the best offers. We have tried. He is set on going away from Tulsa for school and experiencing what is out there. He also knows a lot of kids who will be going there and he really wants to have that fresh start and not be stuck in HS mode. This is why he never considered OU or OSU. We could be those parents and force him to go to the school with the best financial offer and he would resent us for the remainder of our lives, or let him go where he feels is best for what he wants to do and try to be supportive of that.

Personally I think WPI is his best option if TU is not in serious consideration. Just me. My wife is worried because WPI's reviews in terms of dorm quality and dining hall options are pretty bad. Right now, I think he is leaning towards Tufts because I really think he wants to be in Boston. The pull to Michigan would be his best friend also got into UM and is seriously considering it. That kid also has family up there as his dad grew up (and played HS soccer) in the area.

Michigan opens doors world wide. None of the others do. Especially if he washes out of engineering or gets the degree and decides to do something else.

TU would give him the chance to be the leader you claim he wants to be. None of the others will.

He won’t have a date for four or five years if he goes to WPI or RPI.

Michigan opens doors world wide. None of the others do. Especially if he washes out of engineering or gets the degree and decides to do something else.

TU would give him the chance to be the leader you claim he wants to be. None of the others will.
Agree with both of these statements.

TU_BLA….I feel your pain. My soccer daughter currently wants nothing to do with any of the instate schools. Hoping that will change

Reactions: HuffyCane
Try and convince him that TU is among the best offers. We have tried. He is set on going away from Tulsa for school and experiencing what is out there. He also knows a lot of kids who will be going there and he really wants to have that fresh start and not be stuck in HS mode. This is why he never considered OU or OSU. We could be those parents and force him to go to the school with the best financial offer and he would resent us for the remainder of our lives, or let him go where he feels is best for what he wants to do and try to be supportive of that.

Personally I think WPI is his best option if TU is not in serious consideration. Just me. My wife is worried because WPI's reviews in terms of dorm quality and dining hall options are pretty bad. Right now, I think he is leaning towards Tufts because I really think he wants to be in Boston. The pull to Michigan would be his best friend also got into UM and is seriously considering it. That kid also has family up there as his dad grew up (and played HS soccer) in the area.
You can't inhibit a desire to see other parts of the US/World. That in itself is worth something, no matter the institute he wants to go to. Him doing a semester abroad in Japan will further that goal even more so. I'm glad you aren't getting in the way of those desires. My parents supported my travels abroad, and I'm ever so grateful to them. I saw things I would have never experienced here in Tulsa. It has influenced my life and opened my mind in ways I never could have, if I stayed here. College is the perfect time for this to happen. If he was in Boston all his life, I would say the same thing if you wanted him to go to Boston U, and he was interested in the University of Tulsa. Going somewhere for a visit is not the same thing as living there.

You can't inhibit a desire to see other parts of the US/World. That in itself is worth something, no matter the institute he wants to go to. Him doing a semester abroad in Japan will further that goal even more so. I'm glad you aren't getting in the way of those desires. My parents supported my travels abroad, and I'm ever so grateful to them. I saw things I would have never experienced here in Tulsa. It has influenced my life and opened my mind in ways I never could have, if I stayed here. College is the perfect time for this to happen. If he was in Boston all his life, I would say the same thing if you wanted him to go to Boston U, and he was interested in the University of Tulsa. Going somewhere for a visit is not the same thing as living there.
My parents really wanted me to go to TU out of the gate and not stay close to home. I stayed probably for the wrong reasons although BU had been the dream since I was a freshman in HS. We visited campus with band and I just really liked the thought of being in that place. Until I realized the school itself, the style of classes, etc. really wasn't the best for me. We visited BU with my son at his request but after being there I asked him the question if he saw himself going to school there and he said no. And it's fine. So many schools do tours and let their reputation do the talking. I thought BU did that. Tours of the engineering school weren't even an option and the tour guides didn't even cross Comm Ave to even see the building. They just pointed. MIT sort of did the same thing although they spent a little more time talking about student life and showing those locations although they did not show you a dorm or the cafeteria. Again, not a great tour. WPI I thought did a great job on their tour showing all of the places you'd expect to see, a dorm, a cafeteria, a couple of the academic buildings including their version of FabLab, some dept. HQs, the fitness center, and Gompei (if you don't know who Gompei is, look it up...it's almost as great a story as how TU become the Golden Hurricane). To that, WashU in StL does a fantastic tour as well. My wife and I were disappointed that my son wouldn't even apply. From my memory of going to Tufts to hang out with a friend from HS who went there, Wash U and Tufts are similar and even have similar campus styles, close to the main city and close to public transportation to get you to downtown and other places where fun things happen.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
TSC’s ECNL girls director resigned yesterday. Rough last month for TSC. They’ve now lost their longest serving boys coach, longest serving girls coach, and now it’s girls ECNL director.

Lewis Amos
Wow. Lewis is a great coach as well. I know he was coaching the 07 NL team with all that great talent. What sucked for my son is when Lewis took the role of the ECNL girls director, he no longer had any time to train GKs. My son trained with him for a couple years and as a GK, Lewis is certifiably insane and his training sessions were very intense and not much down time. They definitely challenged my son and he was training with 3 other area GKs so he was always trying to raise his level to make sure he kept up with them.

I wonder where he's going...if anywhere. I wonder if he's just stepping down from that role but will continue to coach there (don't know just speculating). Or maybe he is moving on to a different club. I wouldn't be surprised if a big club from Dallas came calling for him and I don't think Lewis has anything tying him to Tulsa specifically.

Wow. Lewis is a great coach as well. I know he was coaching the 07 NL team with all that great talent. What sucked for my son is when Lewis took the role of the ECNL girls director, he no longer had any time to train GKs. My son trained with him for a couple years and as a GK, Lewis is certifiably insane and his training sessions were very intense and not much down time. They definitely challenged my son and he was training with 3 other area GKs so he was always trying to raise his level to make sure he kept up with them.

I wonder where he's going...if anywhere. I wonder if he's just stepping down from that role but will continue to coach there (don't know just speculating). Or maybe he is moving on to a different club. I wouldn't be surprised if a big club from Dallas came calling for him and I don't think Lewis has anything tying him to Tulsa specifically.
He took a job in Florida.

Reactions: HuffyCane
He took a job in Florida.
That makes sense. He hated the cold here, so basically October through April 🤣 which is hilarious considering he's from England. I wonder how he ever got along at Spurs academy. I'm trying to remember where he played in Italy but I think it was for Torino or somewhere close to the mountains and the north, so not always warm.

That's too bad. He's a really good coach and a great GK trainer. I wish him the best of luck. Maybe if I see him this weekend at the TSC tournament I'll get to tell him that.

Reactions: lawpoke87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT