ADVERTISEMENT

You can't make this stuff up?

Watu3

I.T.S. Senior
Nov 17, 2017
DjujuGYUcAANePq.jpg

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account@realDonaldTrump
Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart, which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!

8:37 PM - 3 Aug 2018

You are probably going to have a hard time finding anyone on here to argue with you. Maybe TUfan.

Reactions: Watu3
DjujuGYUcAANePq.jpg

8:37 PM - 3 Aug 2018

While I still applaud James for his initiative and contribution to the school it appears the taxpayers are picking up 80% of the operational costs ($8m annually) while James' foundation is contributing ($2M annually). Odd that the details have been buried in the reporting.

That said...would Oklahoma support such a program? We would obviously have to pull resources from other schools (like Ohio) to support the new school. Assume someone or a group of people would pledge $2M a year for such a project?

Seems like a very worthwhile project for the depressed and violent areas of Chicago which we're talking about in another thread....or any inner city for that matter. Maybe James' has set an example which others will follow...assuming the state governments are willing to put up the funds.

So free tuition is not actually free.

To whom? It's a public school where LeBron's foundation is paying for roughly 20% of the operating expenses. The state pays the rest. Public school is "free" to all students.

It's not the same because Lebron footed the bill to build it,(with a few more bells and whistles) and he subsidized the cost of running it. I would imagine 8M is probably the annual budget for a normal school in the area. With Lebron subsidizing 25% additional overhead it will run much better than a school in areas similar to that one. Probably similar in theory to a magnet school. Wasn't college tuition guaranteed by Lebron for graduates who qualified. aTUfan would bitch about anything that cost taxpayer money and benefitted someone not like him Go bitch about junior college tuition, something with which you have experience.

It's not the same because Lebron footed the bill to build it,(with a few more bells and whistles) and he subsidized the cost of running it. I would imagine 8M is probably the annual budget for a normal school in the area. With Lebron subsidizing 25% additional overhead it will run much better than a school in areas similar to that one. Probably similar in theory to a magnet school. Wasn't college tuition guaranteed by Lebron for graduates who qualified. aTUfan would bitch about anything that cost taxpayer money and benefitted someone not like him Go bitch about junior college tuition, something with which you have experience.
Just asking how it is different.

Whew!!!! Take a chill oil.

Is it a charter school?
Does it specialize in a subject like art, dance, music, engineering, math, science?

Why do we care about the details. It appears he his attempting to do something good for the community.
Agreed. Is it only philanthropy if he funded the school from scratch 100% and was out there laying bricks for the thing? The fact that he partnered with the local school district to help underprivileged youths get an education is incredibly noble. He seems to genuinely care about the community he came from and is willing to share some of his resources to make it better. Credit where credit is due.

Truly hope it works and as I stated above....hope this model gets tried in other underprivileged locations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT