ADVERTISEMENT

Wuhan

A majority of Americans of both parties now believe that CoVid leaked from a lab in China.

I would love to know the number of them who still think they were not manipulated into believing it was from bats.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/09/poll-covid-wuhan-lab-leak-498847
Replacing science with polling doesn't strike me as a good idea. There's no clear proof either way yet. Given the history of viruses originating in animals dismissing that theory as manipulation is a stretch. We still don't know when the virus entered the US.

Replacing science with polling doesn't strike me as a good idea. There's no clear proof either way yet. Given the history of viruses originating in animals dismissing that theory as manipulation is a stretch. We still don't know when the virus entered the US.
My point is that it is irrelevant whether the virus ever existed. A large portion of the US population was told to believe something to the exclusion of all other potential explanations and then they went right along with it without inquiry. Now they are being told it’s ok to have a different outlook, yet they fail to see their inconsistent opinions nor do they concede that they were at best manipulated. They scorned their friends and family who even casually questioned potential plausible alternatives. They should be ashamed of themselves. We live in a dangerous time,

When a majority of the media has become little more than a mouthpiece for a political party they have lost their purpose. We lose a protection against tyranny. Sadly, there are those who not only accept but blindly support such actions based solely on partisanship.

My point is that it is irrelevant whether the virus ever existed. A large portion of the US population was told to believe something to the exclusion of all other potential explanations and then they went right along with it without inquiry. Now they are being told it’s ok to have a different outlook, yet they fail to see their inconsistent opinions nor do they concede that they were at best manipulated. They scorned their friends and family who even casually questioned potential plausible alternatives. They should be ashamed of themselves. We live in a dangerous time,
Is the same process now happening in reverse?

Never thought I would see the day when the left would actively defend a country committing genocide of its minorities. Someone care to explain how you can be the champion of minorities in one country and the champion of those who imprison and murder them at the same time. Strange times indeed.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Never thought I would see the day when the left would actively defend a country committing genocide of its minorities. Someone care to explain how you can be the champion of minorities in one country and the champion of those who imprison and murder them at the same time. Strange times indeed.

Good article. I missed the part about "the left actively supporting" genocide.

Good article, but I missed the part about the left actively defending a country committing genocide.

Here's a longer, more complex discussion of the world economy, the growth of authoritarianism, and US/China relations that is worth a read.

Last edited:
Good article. I missed the part about "the left actively supporting" genocide.

Where did I say the left actively supports genocide. My words were “the left actively supports a country who is performing genocide”. Which is an accurate statement. One look at this board verifies such.

It too early to call CoVid as being caused by a lab leak that Obama era officials knew or should have known was negligently run. And that despite US law and formal and informal Presidential decision making, Obama Administration officials gave grant money to entities that they knew would likely turn over the money, the research or the results of their work to the Chinese military, who in turn took risks that led to where we are. That’s too fantastic a scenario to plausibly and credibly write down, but it looks like where this is headed. And it explains a lot about why our friends in the media are just as hesitant to blame China as the CCP. If true, it could devastate US standing abroad. Let’s hope that if these are facts that they aren’t used for empty point scoring in domestic politics here at home.

Last edited:
It too early to call CoVid as being caused by a lab leak that Obama era officials knew or should have known was negligently run. And that despite US law and formal and informal Presidential decision making, Obama Administration officials gave grant money to entities that they knew would likely turn over the money, the research or the results of their work to the Chinese military, who in turn took risks that led to where we are. That’s too fantastic a scenario to plausibly and credibly write down, but it looks like where this is headed. And it explains a lot about why our friends in the media are just as hesitant to blame China as the CCP. If true, it could devastate US standing abroad. Let’s hope that if these are facts that they aren’t used for empty point scoring in domestic politics here at home.

I think it was the plot of a Clancy book..

I don’t support what China has done to those ethnic minorities, but I also think the US isn’t innocent as to how we’ve effected the lives of Muslims in countries where they aren’t minorities. We don’t kill them inside the borders of our country, we just go a couple thousand miles away and kill them there.

I don’t support what China has done to those ethnic minorities, but I also think the US isn’t innocent as to how we’ve effected the lives of Muslims in countries where they aren’t minorities. We don’t kill them inside the borders of our country, we just go a couple thousand miles away and kill them there.
Yes, it is too easy to forget the US's own actions. The rest of the world hasn't. The numbers of Iraqis who died as a direct result of the US invasion exceeded 100,000 in less than 18 months and those displaced in poverty to neighboring countries number in the millions. Iraq is still a mess, and the US wasted $4 to $6 trillion in tax payer money plus the cost in American lives.

I’m beginning to think whatabouting for China is an involuntary reflex for some. Maybe an online version of Tourette’s

Reactions: TUMe
Man, its becoming tag team action now. Like watching an Asian version of the Bushwhackers or Koloff and The Iron Sheik.

Rereading this thread, it strikes me as unnecessarily politicized. The question is really a scientific and investigational one. The initial opinion of most of the scientific community was that the likely source of Covid was transmission to humans from animals which was consistent with both much of the data and previous corona viruses. Yet not buying immediately into the concept that it was from a leak in a Chinese lab was made (and seems still to be) in to a left/right issue. And not just on this thread but also in Congress, particularly with a few members of the Senate.

Bringing in Chinese treatment of the Uighers only muddies and further politicizes the issue that has nothing to do with a Covid leak.

What is the current consensus view of where Covid came from? I know there have been several reports (some linked above), but is the issue still be debated or has a consensus been reached among those who don't have a poltical ax to grind?

Rereading this thread, it strikes me as unnecessarily politicized. The question is really a scientific and investigational one. The initial opinion of most of the scientific community was that the likely source of Covid was transmission to humans from animals which was consistent with both much of the data and previous corona viruses. Yet not buying immediately into the concept that it was from a leak in a Chinese lab was made (and seems still to be) in to a left/right issue. And not just on this thread but also in Congress, particularly with a few members of the Senate.

Bringing in Chinese treatment of the Uighers only muddies and further politicizes the issue that has nothing to do with a Covid leak.

What is the current consensus view of where Covid came from? I know there have been several reports (some linked above), but is the issue still be debated or has a consensus been reached among those who don't have a poltical ax to grind?

Other way around bud. There were early signs that it could have possibly not developed naturally, but everyone who said so was called a conspiracy theorist or a racist. No one was allowed to mention the possibility without being labeled a nut job, and the only real reason was because the orange man was in the White House and the press had a narrative to run with. They elevated the voices that fit the narrative and condemned those that did not.

The only ones who sought to politicize the origins was the left (for whatever reason) aided by censorship from the social media platforms. One would hope their actions would have set off alarms from both sides of the political spectrum. Based on the responses from this board sadly it has not.

The only ones who sought to politicize the origins was the left (for whatever reason) aided by censorship from the social media platforms. One would hope their actions would have set off alarms from both sides of the political spectrum. Based on the responses from this board sadly it has not.
Yeah… politicizing the origin was never the left. Do you not remember “Democratic Hoax?”

Reactions: TUMe
Yeah… politicizing the origin was never the left. Do you not remember “Democratic Hoax?”
Don’t believe the “Democratic Hoax” was about the origins but the actual existence of the virus. Not going to defend those wackos.

An thorough exploration of the issue by Zeynap Tufekci in the NY Times several months ago.

Even if the coronavirus did not emerge from a lab, the groundwork for a potential disaster had been laid for years, and learning its lessons is essential to preventing others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT