ADVERTISEMENT

Wow

My excitement's back for one game.

Man they were threading the needle on some of those passes at lightning speed. Reminded me of Swanson/Reed.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
UMBC lost 83-39 to Albany earlier this year.

Virginia never gave up more than 68 points all season.

Tonight UMBC almost doubled their point total from that Albany game and Virginia gave up the most points they’d allowed all season with 74.

Can only be explained as March Madness.

Last edited:
Vegas is smart. They give points to the underdog as opposed to odds. If they gave say 15 points then UMBC just won by 35 but you can't spend points.

My son who lives in Virginia was telling me last week that UVA was way overrated. I guess he knew what he was talking about. Now I’m rooting for a sweet sixteen matchup between Buffalo and UMBC.

The name of the game is putting the ball through the nets. Shooting a high percentage of your 3 pointers is the key to this game.

Virginia tried to turn things around in the backcourt of UMBC. It didn't work and left the Retrievers open for easy scores in the paint. At some point you would think that Virginia would have grasped that. Fouling didn't help because UMBC hit the free throws.

Reactions: Gold*
I needed that upset to keep my bracket perfect. Signed Ash vid.

GUYS, I’ve told you SO many times. My METHOD is perfect. I have picked at least 35 out of 32 first day winners the last 9 YEARS using it. Also, the BOK center is going to be an abject failure and TU basketball isn’t very good, other than Steve Cooper.

Mmmmmmm-BOP!!!!

Ash-vid

I can't believe it finally happened and I missed it. I had a gig last night and didn't even know about it til this morning.

By the way, this makes Cincinnati the top remaining seed in the South Region.

Missed it too. Went into shock when I got the push about the game.

I can't believe it finally happened and I missed it. I had a gig last night and didn't even know about it til this morning.

By the way, this makes Cincinnati the top remaining seed in the South Region.
I’m good with that. Hopefully they will get to the final four

I needed that upset to keep my bracket perfect. Signed Ash vid.

Am I on a roll or what? Still perfect with the Loyola-Chicago win. I was a little worried on that last shot.

In my notes beside my pick I said they’d win by 1 on a last second shot but thought it would be all net after a skip pass. Ashvid!!

Last edited:
My son who lives in Virginia was telling me last week that UVA was way overrated. I guess he knew what he was talking about. Now I’m rooting for a sweet sixteen matchup between Buffalo and UMBC.
UVA is not over rated. They are the best most tenacious defensive team in the country. They were playing without the best 6th man in the ACC (injury). They didn’t play well and UMBC played a near perfect game. Lyles is a tremendous player.

NO! So basically Virginia's 5 starters were not as good a UMBC's 5 starters and they had to rely on a 6th man in order to win. Am I missing something here!

....or maybe it’s NCAA basketball and the best team doesn’t always win? Is the fourth place team from CUSA better than the American runner up?

Reactions: ctt8410
was The sixth man worth 20+ points?
Never said that, but he is good for 10/10 a game and is by some accounts, the best on ball defender they have.

I am not saying they would have won with him. I was merely saying they weren’t overrated. Good teams have really bad games sometimes and can lose to inferior opponents who have their best game

Not threading the needle as accurately today. 12 turnovers all game against Virginia. 8 before the first half is over against K St..

Well we beat a sweet sixteen team on the road this year so there’s that.

That was the funnest game to watch that almost ended in the 40's on both sides. Too bad they had 17 turnovers. Was fun while it lasted.

If you haven't seen UMBC's twitter feed, you've missed out. Some pretty funny stuff.
They absolutely won the interwebs this weekend.

There were some really crazy facts posted by them and some others about them. There applications in 2 days went up 400% from the same period last year. Someone posted that the number of twitter posts, ESPN game recaps and analysis, CBS' extra coverage, etc. amounted to what would have been $21.3M in advertising dollars spent.

At the end of the game vs K-State, they congratulated them and then posted the link to their undergrad admissions application. It was brilliant.

And anyone out there thinking successful athletics has no impact on the overall success of a university, its admissions process, etc. is just not paying attention.

And, if you didn't know, UMBC has also been climbing the ranks academically:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/umbc-basketball.html

As much as admin and alumni may not want to recognize it, many small colleges and universities would never be known but-for their athletic teams. For every ivy league or Stanford, there are a dozen very high ranked liberal arts schools without athletic teams (or a minor level of play) that most have never heard of. Other than U Chicago, MIT or NYU , most are only known in small circles. And most college applicants don't run in those circles.

While you may attract a select applicants whose advisers, parents, or own initiative introduces your school to them, and still a few more from targeted ads... its a much harder task to introduce your school to someone who has never even heard of it. You can hire the best professors and build the best facilities and still not be able to recruit the students you want because no one has heard of you. That doesn't mean your school isn't worthy, but it creates challenges in perception for many people.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT