ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Bad Movie?

I started watching Goliath on Amazon. It’s like a Buckaroo Bonzai meets LA law meets Ozark. Billy Bob Thornton. It’s terrible and alsome. It’s the TU football 2020 of television shows.
It might be the worst television show ever made. To the point I actually started wondering if BBT was intentionally tanking the performance to make it more difficult to attract talent to Amazon or even under cut the entire existence of original television programming.

Reactions: Gold*
I like that he is an extreme alcoholic and manages to be a legal genius. I thought about what it would be like to drink that amount of alcohol and show up to court. It would be impossible. I like how they also develop his relationship with this lady and then randomly kill her off.

I like that he is an extreme alcoholic and manages to be a legal genius. I thought about what it would be like to drink that amount of alcohol and show up to court. It would be impossible. I like how they also develop his relationship with this lady and then randomly kill her off.
Slam, bam, thank you maam, she dead.

Reactions: HuffyCane
An old law partner had a bit of bad luck and had to move into my house for about six months. He would go through a handle of Beam every other day. Plus whatever at happy hour. I never had direct knowledge of him being too drunk to operate in court in the morning, but I’ve never seen anyone drink that much on a sustained basis in my life that late into the night and be presentable and as effective as him in my life.

Reactions: Gold*
An old law partner had a bit of bad luck and had to move into my house for about six months. He would go through a handle of Beam every other day. Plus whatever at happy hour. I never had direct knowledge of him being too drunk to operate in court in the morning, but I’ve never seen anyone drink that much on a sustained basis in my life that late into the night and be presentable and as effective as him in my life.
It can be maintained for a short while. I have seen an attorney, and others do it. But it doesn't last long. If they are very lucky, maybe 7 or 8 years. But it's usually over way before then. And there are usually early signs they are doing it almost from the start. I got's one in a bed, living next door to me right now. He'll never get out of that bed.(Paraplegic for the rest of his life, cuz he took a drunken header into a book case and damaged his spinal cord. I had to go check him out and advise his wife to call an ambulance.) He lost his practice after a few DUI's, year's before he did the header. He practiced very well through his drinking for awhile, from what I hear. He's not the one I've seen practice though.

Speaking of drunk lawyers. Where The Heart Is with Natalie Portman is a terrible movie and about northeastern Oklahoma. I forget which town. The guy who plays the recovering alcoholic lawyer nails the part. The rest of the movie is trash.

Works better with Herb.
Reefer Madness! This flick is hard to describe. Is it camp? Just bad actors? The Gov't's answer to weed? Or simply one of the worst films ever made? One of my all-time favs...."It's a Mad, Mad, etc. World" Still cracks me up like no other.

Reefer Madness! This flick is hard to describe. Is it camp? Just bad actors? The Gov't's answer to weed? Or simply one of the worst films ever made? One of my all-time favs...."It's a Mad, Mad, etc. World" Still cracks me up like no other.
My father has watched Mad Mad probably 100 times. Back in the 1970s it was an event in our house when it was a rerun again.

Reactions: quincy101
I really liked Goliath, especially the first season, and hated to see it end. Huffy probably didn’t like it for the same reason my daughter who is a nurse won’t watch medical dramas, too fake.

I really liked Goliath, especially the first season, and hated to see it end. Huffy probably didn’t like it for the same reason my daughter who is a nurse won’t watch medical dramas, too fake.

It’s really, really fake. There are some moments, but honestly it’s just so negative and silly that I don’t find it redeeming. If you want a lawyer drama set in LA, check out HBO’s Perry Mason. That show has upside. There are similar themes in both, but one of them isn’t so completely messed up. Also, Better Call Saul is potentially the most realistic and best lawyer show ever.

“The Night Of” on HBO Max is hands down the most realistic dramatization of criminal defense work. It’s not even close to things that are supposedly realistic like Law & Order. The obstacles, the indignities, the lack of compensation at times, but also the fight that keeps you going. If youve worked in that industry it’s like watching someone make a gripping story out of your mundane life.

It’s a really really realistic portrayal how jail can turn an innocent person into a future criminal whether they are released or not. I’ve watched jail change countless people. Be it innocent men, stupid kids or just petty criminals into professional felons. The main character goes through that psychological development right on camera. It’s amazing acting.

Nominated for like 15 Emmys. Should have won them all.

Yeah, that was very special. Turturo stole the show. The pilot was with Gandolfini in that role and I saw it once. Also great. They may do more seasons.

I like the completely unsatisfying ending. That’s the law. There are mysteries and no answers. Although clearly the stockbroker guy did it.

The actor who plays the detective in Night Of,Bill Camp, is one of the leads in the Outsider. I enjoyed that. It’s Stephen King horror craziness. But also more realistic than Goliath.

It’s really, really fake. There are some moments, but honestly it’s just so negative and silly that I don’t find it redeeming. If you want a lawyer drama set in LA, check out HBO’s Perry Mason. That show has upside. There are similar themes in both, but one of them isn’t so completely messed up. Also, Better Call Saul is potentially the most realistic and best lawyer show ever.
Better Call Saul has its moments but the casual way he goes about breaking the law or facilitating the future breaking of the law kills it.

I will say that I once had a case where a lawyer put in writing that someone should lien my clients multimillion dollar house. And the wording of the letter basically said it didn’t matter if liening my guy’s house was negligent or later proven unsupportable. Incredibly the letter said they should do it anyway despite knowledge that both the client and their lawyer knew about the situation that would make liening the house wrong.

Trouble is, doing that is a felony. And it’s a felony to aid or assist someone doing that, even if they do it under the subjective belief they are just selling good faith legal advice to clients.

We went for a visit to that lawyers office with a copy of the letter and a sworn statement authenticating it and disclosing that it was lawfully obtained from one of the original recipients.

The settlement I obtained as a result of that conversation with the client AND the lawyer AND the lawyer’s insurance company was even larger than I had hoped. We went in expecting an apology and the closure of a deal that would benefit my client and save his business. I walked out with a seven figure check for him.

About four years later, this scene was on TV and my jaw dropped at how the way it unfolded was almost exactly the same as the story above in real life. Even my wife, also a lawyer, said his mannerisms and word choice was exactly like me when people piss me off and I have time to set up for it. She said it was uncanny except for the pinky ring and haircut.

It’s always going to be noir. But two shows are different. There’s a very slow burn aspect to Better Call Saul. And while ridiculous at times, a lot of the legal practice is about small stuff that makes a difference. There’s also this, which is the most true example of many such discussions I’ve had over the years:

Better Call Saul has its moments but the casual way he goes about breaking the law or facilitating the future breaking of the law kills it.

I will say that I once had a case where a lawyer put in writing that someone should lien my clients multimillion dollar house. And the wording of the letter basically said it didn’t matter if liening my guy’s house was negligent or later proven unsupportable. Incredibly the letter said they should do it anyway despite knowledge that both the client and their lawyer knew about the situation that would make liening the house wrong.

Trouble is, doing that is a felony. And it’s a felony to aid or assist someone doing that, even if they do it under the subjective belief they are just selling good faith legal advice to clients.

We went for a visit to that lawyers office with a copy of the letter and a sworn statement authenticating it and disclosing that it was lawfully obtained from one of the original recipients.

The settlement I obtained as a result of that conversation with the client AND the lawyer AND the lawyer’s insurance company was even larger than I had hoped. We went in expecting an apology and the closure of a deal that would benefit my client and save his business. I walked out with a seven figure check for him.

About four years later, this scene was on TV and my jaw dropped at how the way it unfolded was almost exactly the same as the story above in real life. Even my wife, also a lawyer, said his mannerisms and word choice was exactly like me when people piss me off and I have time to set up for it. She said it was uncanny except for the pinky ring and haircut.

What a great show. I always remember this scene and the fact that mom and dad are so aghast when Jesse's the buyer!

It’s always going to be noir. But two shows are different. There’s a very slow burn aspect to Better Call Saul. And while ridiculous at times, a lot of the legal practice is about small stuff that makes a difference. There’s also this, which is the most true example of many such discussions I’ve had over the years:

I love Better Call Saul! I always wondered if small guys heading up a class action eventually get pushed out at a fraction of what they would have earned by big corporate law firms...

“The Night Of” on HBO Max is hands down the most realistic dramatization of criminal defense work. It’s not even close to things that are supposedly realistic like Law & Order. The obstacles, the indignities, the lack of compensation at times, but also the fight that keeps you going. If youve worked in that industry it’s like watching someone make a gripping story out of your mundane life.

It’s a really really realistic portrayal how jail can turn an innocent person into a future criminal whether they are released or not. I’ve watched jail change countless people. Be it innocent men, stupid kids or just petty criminals into professional felons. The main character goes through that psychological development right on camera. It’s amazing acting.

Nominated for like 15 Emmys. Should have won them all.

Riz Ahmed is amazing in it too. But I agree Turturro stole all the scenes.
You know it’s a good show when you realize it’s been out over 4 years now and the story has stuck with you, at least it has me.

All this talk about lawyering brought back my times on jury duty. I’ve had jury duty twice, once in Oklahoma and once in Nevada, and both times I was selected to a jury. First time was a civil trial, traffic accident with minor injuries, and fault was admitted so we just had to hear testimony and decide on compensation. Second time was a criminal trial of two defendants with charges ranging from assault to attempted murder with possible hate crime enhancement. I had two observations/revelations from my experience.

First, criminal trials are actually kind of close to what we see on TV with objections, fighting between attorneys and passion. The attorneys in criminal trials (at least in my limited experience) seem to be much better also.

Second the jury seems to know less about what’s going on than anyone else. In the criminal trial we spent more time in the jury room while the attorneys argued motions than we did in the courtroom. When the trial was over and we were able to read newspapers and watch the news we found out a whole bunch of stuff that we weren’t able to hear.

Amongst the Rocky films, I’m going with Rocky IV. What a message to youth. “Kids, don’t do drugs. Rocky doesn’t do drugs. But hey, look at these repeated images of some dude jacked bigger than Conan on Soviet dope.”

Plan 9 from outer space. voted worst movie of all time by members of the film industry.
Absolutely love that film. Seen it maybe 100 times. I could quote it start to finish in high school. Then Johnny Depp came along and butchered the film in Ed Wood.

I always liked The Cat from Outer Space. It's pretty silly in a bad-movie-kinda-way. But that damn cat was a hoot!

Amongst the Rocky films, I’m going with Rocky IV. What a message to youth. “Kids, don’t do drugs. Rocky doesn’t do drugs. But hey, look at these repeated images of some dude jacked bigger than Conan on Soviet dope.”
And who knew that those PEDs Drago was doing was actually a portent of things to come for Russian athletes? Pretty much banned from all international competitions including the Olympics and possibly the World Cup. Russian athletes who wish to compete in international competitions must pass a drug test prior to competing and then they will only be able to compete as "unattached" and not under any nation's flag. In my "I hope my pipes don't freeze" insomnia last night, I watched part of the Speed Skating world championships, and the Russian skater did not get to wear a flag patch on her uniform and he name in the standings showed only a stick figure speed skater whereas everyone else was noted by their nation's flag. This is an 8 year running issue in Russia. I know there was talk of the ban carrying over to other sports like basketball from the FIBA worlds, and the World Cup. That'd be hilarious.

I preferred the older ones when he could actually move. He never could deliver a line and add that to him now being fat, his later movies are even less believable.
Just for you sir. Steven Seagal singing in a Jamaican accent about poonani.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Roadhouse is on AMC right now. This one hasn’t aged well at all.
So bad there's a remake coming out this summer.

I don't know if I contributed to this convo but "Dude! Where's My Car?" has to be in this mention. Originally went to see it at the old Super Saver on 31st. We were going to see Charlie's Angels for a $1 but we got there too late and decided to just go to the next movie that hadn't started yet. Felt that the $1 was too much of an investment after we saw it. Yet, any time it comes on cable I have to watch just so I can either mimic the "Dude! What's mine say?" "Sweet! What's mine say?" or the Chinese drive thru "And then....and then....and then..."

I don't know if this is a "worst bad" or just plain "bad bad." This clunker starring Josh Hartnett and Melissa Leo was filmed right here in Tulsa during the pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT