ADVERTISEMENT

⚽ Recruiting Women's soccer signees

I saw that former BTW's Ashton Gordon transferred from Arkansas to Pitt. I couldn't figure out what the tie-in was as the Gordons have a U of A preference, even though Mom and Dad are both TU alums. Come to find out, Randy Waldrum has taken over the women's program at Pitt. Maybe the ACC is more competitive than the SEC in women's soccer.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The ACC is probably the top women’s soccer conference in the country currently. The SEC and Big12 would be next in line.

The ACC is probably the top women’s soccer conference in the country currently. The SEC and Big12 would be next in line.

While I would agree with you since UNC is in the ACC. And I have to assume Notre Dame is in the ACC. Did anyone have Pitt on the map? They must've given Randy a truckload of money to leave the Houston area and the comfort of home to go to Pitt.

Florida State is the top women’s program in the country. No doubt about it. For us old timers, UNC is the top, but the girls all want to play at FSU.

While I would agree with you since UNC is in the ACC. And I have to assume Notre Dame is in the ACC. Did anyone have Pitt on the map? They must've given Randy a truckload of money to leave the Houston area and the comfort of home to go to Pitt.
Last I heard, he was coaching Nigeria’s women.

Stanford is the best women's program by a lot. The Pac-12 is incredibly competitive with UCLA also really, really good too.

ACC is also the top men's soccer conference followed by the B1G and Pac 10/12/14. AAC is probably 4th/5th in there.

Pitt's men's program has been making inroads as well. They played for the ACC's fall championship vs Clemson. They've got a 10 who can absolutely place and hammer shots from distance.

There are a lot of good women's programs as a result of the title IX flood of schools needing to add programs to be in compliance. Soccer allowed them to do that in great numbers to balance things. UNC has carried the mantle for a long time but that has waned as more players become available and go elsewhere for playing time and not wanting to sit behind all the superstars. UCLA and Stanford also have great programs.

Randy- there are some very interesting stories about when he was here and coaching both teams before leaving for Tennessee. He's had a long history of success everywhere he's been. Didn't one of his ND teams play for a national championship?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT