ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 News/Notes Women's Hoops: Matilda Mossman retires

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Tulsa’s Matilda Mossman Announces Retirement After 10 Years as Women’s Basketball Coach

TULSA, Okla.
–– University of Tulsa Head Women’s Basketball Coach Matilda Mossman announced her retirement on Thursday following 10 seasons leading the Golden Hurricane program.

“It is with extreme sadness today that I announce my retirement from coaching and the end of my reign as the Head Basketball Coach at The University of Tulsa,” said Mossman. “Coaching requires an inordinate amount of passion and energy. EVERY DAY. I would be cheating the student-athletes in this program to continue, as I find it harder and harder to maintain that level of enthusiasm on an everyday basis.”

Mossman compiled a 119-176 record as the Golden Hurricane head coach. In 18 years as a collegiate head coach, Mossman registered an overall 266-269 mark and took four of her teams to postseason play during head coaching stints at Arkansas (1981-84), Kansas State (1984-89) and Tulsa (2011-21).

“My entire life has evolved around being a basketball coach. And I have had the time of my life! Mark Twain once said, ‘Find a job you enjoy doing and you will never work a day in your life.’ That is certainly what I have done,” said Mossman.

“So today, I thank the many young women who influenced my path, made me think outside the box, & enabled me to better myself. So many of whom have become life-long friends and confidants. To the women’s basketball student-athletes at the University of Tulsa, I have truly enjoyed being your coach. Despite the trials & tribulations, there has been huge growth and an understanding that it is not what happens to us but how we react to it.”

“Thank you to all the assistant coaches & support staff I have had the privilege to walk side-by-side with, in this journey. So many who have made supreme sacrifices to making our program better. Thank you to my sons, Scott & Matt, who grew up sharing their mom with other people’s daughters but all the while being my biggest supporters.”

“Thank you to the University of Tulsa for allowing me to finish my career back where I started, at the collegiate level. Never a dull day, never the same day twice, but always days filled with great people and unbelievable experiences,” added Mossman.

At Tulsa, Mossman led the Hurricane to one conference tournament championship and two postseason tournament appearances, including the 2013 NCAA Tournament and 2014 WNIT. The Hurricane won four straight league tournament games to win the 2013 Conference USA Title and went on to play No. 1 seed Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. A year later, Tulsa posted an 18-14 record in the school’s first season as a member of the American Athletic Conference.

“We appreciate the hard work and years of service that Matilda has given to The University of Tulsa and our women’s basketball program. She’s been a great ambassador for TU and our athletic department. We thank Matilda for her dedication and tireless efforts in leading our young women and wish her the very best in her retirement,” said Tulsa’s Director of Athletics Rick Dickson.

Mossman came to Tulsa following nine seasons as the head coach at Norman (Okla.) High School. She was appointed as the 10th women’s head coach in Tulsa school history in March 2011.

The university will conduct a national search for its new women’s basketball coach.

Kathy McConnell Miller should be on the short list. I don’t really know what kind of cache TU has to bring in an assistant from another program or even a head coach from a mid major. And what type of investment is TU willing to make for the program to get it right?

Reactions: TU 1978
Kathy McConnell Miller should be on the short list. I don’t really know what kind of cache TU has to bring in an assistant from another program or even a head coach from a mid major. And what type of investment is TU willing to make for the program to get it right?
She currently works for a high school in Pennsylvania not coaching

You would be surprised the cachet TU has in women’s sports admin circles. It was long ago, but there are a lot of women in decision making positions who remember Judy getting hired and smashing barriers and they will all tell younger mentees to apply to TU.

Didn’t Lee Mayberry coach his girls AAU teams?

No Mayberry!! We need to clean house and hire a head coach! Go look at lower levels. Not High school or AAU. We need a coach who knows how to run a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT