ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball Houston at Tulsa 3pm

TU4ever2

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Houston had a good start and is now in the middle of a tough stretch losing last three in a row. All against what I would consider the top tier teams which is what I think Houston is.

USF is the clear favorite and a step above.

UCF, Tulane, and Houston in some order are right there.

It appears Tulsa is in the group with Temple, ECU, and Wichita St.

With Cincy and Memphis at the bottom, SMU having already thrown in the towel.

Houston has predominantly been a pressure team and usually pretty fun to watch. Not sure if they are staying true to form this year but they have definitely shown they can play at a high level with some good victories.

Tulsa's guards should handle any pressure and hopefully we can make them pay. I hope to see the rythm continue to improve now that the girls our into regular play and practice. Family is being allowed in and I think it makes a huge difference for the people they love to be able to see the hard work pay off in person and here the encouragement.

I'm not going to say I expect another win, but I like our match up against them. Hopefully Bittle whose name I butchered all last game will continue to play at her more regular level and help with rotations and some shooting.

Our Icelandic forward is a worker and definitely showed up last game. Lewis and Lascay are the clear leaders and they set the example with effort and talking to the girls.

The Mayberrys are just fun. I love both their games and could watch them play every day.

Game is at 3pm
ESPN+ with replay so I will again try and give a spoiler alert.
93.5 FM with the play by play in Tulsa, or on the I heart radio app.

Tulsa struggling with the pressure. Lots of turnovers early, missing the couple shots they have Houston came out aggressive.

1Q 6:21
Tulsa 0
Houston 9

Tulsa struggles on offense continue. Houston getting good finishes. Tulsa has switched to a 2-3 zone to stop the driving guards and it is forcing tougher shots from Houston.

Mia with two threes and we had a nice feed. Offense looks a little better last two possesions.

1Q 3:30
Tulsa 8
Houston 16

Tulsa outrebounded and has six or seven turnovers. Going to have to tighten up on defense and make shots to fight there way back in, they are adjusting to the pressure from Houstons defense.

Houston is making shots too.

Tulsa offense gets sped up for a couple turnovers loses rythm and finishes struggling in what had turned into a back and forth game. Tulsa switch to zone has been effective and the girls look comfortable in it. We ran it with success at the end of the Memphis game as well.

Houston came out blazing looking to end its losing streak. Tulsa got a bit of the deer in the head lights early but seems to have mostly settled down. The guards will have to control the tempo and protect the ball.

Tulsa will have to find a couple small runs to get this game into a competitive sitiation.

2Q 10:00
Tulsa 13
Houston 23

Houston making shots, tulsa struggling, houston rebounding what they don't make and not turning it over.

2Q 6:13
Tulsa 15
Houston 32

Lascay and Bittle make some plays but Tulsa is struggling to make shots. Offense looks much better defense is solid but will need to be spectacular if the offense doesn't improve. The rebounding is better but needs to improve more with Houston shooting so well.

Mia has hit three 3s so far.
Lascay got in a little foul trouble at the end of the half.
Bittle's shot looks much like it did the first two years and she is just making good plays even though they may not show up in the stats. She seems comfortable with the pressure Houston has been applying as does Lascay probably the experience paying off.

Half
Houston 39
Tulsa 26

Tulsa outrebounded by 10 and 9-3 on offense boards.
Tulsa had 10 turnovers, probably 6 in the first half of the first quarter so they improved but will have to value the ball even more.

Last edited:
Also there is a 13 year old Mayberry coming, best shooter of the four and apparently an assasin who loves to bomb from outside NBA range 🤯 she'll be the best of us all according to Mia.

Good lord how much talent can one family possibly hold. I can only imagine what she will be like after getting beat up by her sisters year after year.

Need a strong start of the 2nd half start to get this come back rolling. The difference in the score is Houston's 14-2 advantage on points off of turn overs so valuing the ball is key.

Bad luck to start the half, Wyvette tries to make a pass from the floor in a rebound scramble and gets a turnover. Since then Houston has been shooting pretty well, Tulsa is missing and when we aren't missing the offense is disjointed. Tulsa needs some rythm on offense and some defensive stops could help provide that.

3Q 5:48
Tulsa 33
Houston 46

Tulsa shooting heating up. Defense needs to step up to go with it and cut in the lead, some Tulsa foul trouble starting after a pretty clean game back and forth. Houston is a bad free throw shooting team so Tulsa will need for them to stay true to the average and rebound the misses. Chipping into the lead.

4:50
Tulsa 38
Houston 47

Houston hits a three that bounces around and drops, Tulsa's answer hits iron but doesn't drop.

3Q 4:12
Tulsa 38
Houston 50

Houston is shooting roughly 50% we have forced more turnovers it's now 11 for Tulsa 9 for Houston.

Can't trade baskets though we need small runs strung together.

Wyvette entering attack mode but missing, defense looks stronger, team work is very good. Tulsa has gone cold, Houston missing as well but Tulsa defense is causing most of theirs. Tulsa missing open shots. Lewis fighting to keep Tulsa in it.

3Q 1:16
Tulsa 43
Houston 52

Tulsa struggles but the girls go all effort. Force a tie up on Houstons last possesion. Fight through some tough patches, end up with a decent 3, miss, rebound and fouled putting up the shot with .4 left. Make both free throws close the gap to 7, which is a basket more than what Houston has been outscored by in the 4th Quarter on average this year. Tulsa making free throws and just enough outside shots to keep in the game. Defense is much stronger and needs to lock it down to win. Offense needs to settle in find rythm. Rebounding much better but will have to improve even more.

Spoiler warning just in case.

Edit~[Narrator]: It was in fact, not the case.~

4Q 10:00
Tulsa 45
Houston 52

Last edited:
Tulsa has horrible start to the 4th on defense and can't make shots. Houston with two quick easy baskets puts the lead back out to 11.

4Q 8:20
Tulsa 45
Houston 56

Tulsa calls a much needed time out. Not sure why Mossman had the five on the floor she did, but it was not going well offense was non existent. Defense bad, bad foul call gave Houston an and one to extend the lead back to 14. Tulsa will have to figure this out quick or the game will be over before they can come back.

4Q 7:22
Tulsa 45
Houston 59

Cleaned up the turnovers but no offensive flow. Have to score to win and hold them on defense.

Tulsa can't make a shot to save there life right now, everyone missing, lay ups, short jumpers, deep shots, nothing. Houston again winning on rebounding and shooting solid. Tulsa defense isn't terrible but its fish in a barrel with their inability to make a shot or get an offensive board. Houston is good in transition and then making shots in half court. 15-0 run on 5-7 shooting, to start the quarter for Houston who has been out scored by 40+ in the fourth this year.

4Q 4:58
Tulsa 45
Houston 67

Tulsa is zero for infinity in the fourth quarter including a ton of shots they usually make and lay ups.

4Q 2:26
Tulsa 45
Houston 69

Mia fouled on a 3, we might score. Goes 2/3

4Q 2:06
Tulsa 47
Houston 69

Whelp, that's game folks. TU goes absolutely ice cold and gets it's only points from the free throw line in the fourth. We missed lay ups, got an offense rebound and missed a easy lay up put back. Got the Mayberrys open looks and it wouldn't go down. Bittle's shot looked good and two went in and out. The defense was overall decent, but Houston just shot ridiculous and cashed in on its offensive rebounding margin. Tulsa settled down after the rough start and blitz of turnovers that got Houston out to a good lead. Tulsa had six in the first quarter but only finished with 11 and flipped the script on the coogs forcing 17 turnovers. Unfortunately Tulsa didn't capitalize (again missed lay ups etc) and was out scored 14-9 on turnovers. After tightening up the margin in rebounding for the 3Q Tulsa finished getting swamped at 50-29.

We made it a game going into the fourth quarter and then just couldn't make shots to try and close it (0-16). Houston shot great every where and even at the free throw line where they are usually bad. Tulsa did shoot 12/14 from free throw line but just couldn't make anything else. The fourth quarter wasn't so much houston defense as just Tulsa missing. Hopefully the girls keep their heads up, learn from some mistakes here, put it behind them and get back after it.

Final
Tulsa 49
Houston 75

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT