ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Golf

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Anyone have insight on what is going on at TU? Not only Klein’s late season resignation but ending the last few events with only 4 players is concerning. If the 4 players limitation were due to injury then it is understandable. The events seem unlikely coincidence.

I know for the McNamara last week TU only had 4 healthy players according to the release I saw. How do they not have 2-3 extra players, even walk-ons, to make sure you can field a full 5 in an event.

Are we not giving out our full NCAA allotment of ships for women's golf? We are allowed to give 6 golf ships per the NCAA. Some schools will give a few partials so that 8 or so players are on scholarship.

From the team site: Dobson the Soph from BA was injured all but 3 events and Romack the Frosh from Texas left the team after 2-3 spring events. So we had 6 players at the start of the season.

Six would be an unusually low number. OSU has 8 and OU has 9 on the roster. When you need 5 to compete having 6 leaves little room for injuries, sickness, or simply leaving.

I can't imagine having only 4 players. At least they only count 4 scores, but still, that is pretty bad. Even the men's team before Brogdon in the 1980's when I was on the team always had a minimum of 7 players available. That was when a gym coach was coaching the team for a few extra dollars. Well, at least the men had a team then.

I can't imagine having only 4 players. At least they only count 4 scores, but still, that is pretty bad. Even the men's team before Brogdon in the 1980's when I was on the team always had a minimum of 7 players available. That was when a gym coach was coaching the team for a few extra dollars. Well, at least the men had a team then.
Was it Zimmerman coaching the team before Brogdon took over?

Zimmerman's daughter Michelle was pretty hot. Not sure whatever happened to her, but I know we had a good time or two.

It was Zimmerman. Good guy. I'll bet he only got pocket change to coach the golf team. He used to talk about when he used to coach the tennis team. In my last tournament in Ames, Iowa, which of course we took a van to, Z didn't go and we had a grad assistant we had never met take us to the tournament.

Then the boosters got fed up with the men's team getting treated like stepchildren to the women's team, like getting their hand-me-down golf bags, and when ORU dropped golf and Brogdon became available, the booster's kicked in to up the money to the program.

Good thing for me my eligibility was gone, cause I wasn't good enough to play for Brogdon. The team went from being mediocre to going to the NCAA tournament in Brodgon's first year.

I remember sitting next to Z's daughter at the awards banquet in 1985 when J.D.had just been announced as the new hoops coach. J.D. didn't look like a happy camper.

It was Zimmerman. Good guy. I'll bet he only got pocket change to coach the golf team. He used to talk about when he used to coach the tennis team. In my last tournament in Ames, Iowa, which of course we took a van to, Z didn't go and we had a grad assistant we had never met take us to the tournament.

Then the boosters got fed up with the men's team getting treated like stepchildren to the women's team, like getting their hand-me-down golf bags, and when ORU dropped golf and Brogdon became available, the booster's kicked in to up the money to the program.

Good thing for me my eligibility was gone, cause I wasn't good enough to play for Brogdon. The team went from being mediocre to going to the NCAA tournament in Brodgon's first year.

I remember sitting next to Z's daughter at the awards banquet in 1985 when J.D.had just been announced as the new hoops coach. J.D. didn't look like a happy camper.
Z was great. He taught some PE classes when I got to TU in the early 90s. My 2nd semester senior year Friday schedule looked like this : 2:00PM Intermediate Golf, Zimmerman, TBD

Z would have us go to this driving range and 9 hole pasture in BA at about Kenosha and 145th (Aspen) which now contains an apartment complex, Dunkin Donuts, Stonemill BBQ, and a business park. My friend and I asked if we could go play Page Belcher, and he said sure, just turn in your score card so I know you went and played.

He may not have made much coaching the men's golf team but he obviously made enough to own one of those mid 80's Corvettes.

He also taught Theory of Coaching Baseball. My buddy and I took it b/c we thought we'd get to play wiffleball in the Mabee Gym. When we found out no wiffleball, we dropped it.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT