ADVERTISEMENT

Wish TU President understood this!

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
i was reading the ESPN article on why UH got rid of Applewhite and it reminded me why we are the dumbest smart university in the country at the moment!

We're down 7,000 season tickets since Herman left. It's not Major's fault, but that's almost $3 million a year, just in tickets. So everybody's like, 'How can you afford this?' I'm like, 'How can I not?'" (Holgorsen's deal will pay him an average annual salary of $4 million, a difference of $2.25 million from the $1.75 million per year Houston was paying Applewhite, according to USA Today.)

We understand this.........I mean, surely we understand this. It’s basic economics. I believe our problem is two-fold:

1). Awful optics giving a football coach that kind of money given our current financial situation.

2). We don’t think we’re in a position (see #1) to take make such a move as there’s a possibility our new highly compensated coach doesn’t win. The risk of being out that money with little bit no added ticket revenue is something we’re not in a position to do at this time.

It is what it is. We’re being forced to be short-sighted due to factors outside of our athletic department.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Interesting part of Holgorsen deal... he will get a million dollar bonus if Houston goes to a p5 conference...

We understand this.........I mean, surely we understand this. It’s basic economics. I believe our problem is two-fold:

1). Awful optics giving a football coach that kind of money given our current financial situation.

2). We don’t think we’re in a position (see #1) to take make such a move as there’s a possibility our new highly compensated coach doesn’t win. The risk of being out that money with little bit no added ticket revenue is something we’re not in a position to do at this time.

It is what it is. We’re being forced to be short-sighted due to factors outside of our athletic department.
And our attendance doesn't seem to increase by that much when we are good.(Also our ticket prices have been lowered to 'help' boost attendance.)

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The president at UH can use whatever logic he wants, but this isn’t being funded from ticket revenue. This is coming straight from a donor’s pocket. Moreover, it’s might not even be the right call. It’s not healthy for any program to switch coaches every two years and have sustainable success.

The president at UH can use whatever logic he wants, but this isn’t being funded from ticket revenue. This is coming straight from a donor’s pocket. Moreover, it’s might not even be the right call. It’s not healthy for any program to switch coaches every two years and have sustainable success.
My guess is one of Holgorsen's "friends" reached out to Fertita and said there's an interest if UH needed someone. UH created that need. I was reading somewhere where Holgorsen's base salary is $600k or something stupid like that and the rest is TV/endorsement and easily reached bonuses.

I have a feeling Applewhite was a choice made to keep some kids from leaving the program that came under Herman (we know how that works) and now that most of those guys will be gone, it's easier to make a break.

My guess is one of Holgorsen's "friends" reached out to Fertita and said there's an interest if UH needed someone. UH created that need. I was reading somewhere where Holgorsen's base salary is $600k or something stupid like that and the rest is TV/endorsement and easily reached bonuses.

I have a feeling Applewhite was a choice made to keep some kids from leaving the program that came under Herman (we know how that works) and now that most of those guys will be gone, it's easier to make a break.
According to some supposedly in the know posters on the conference boards, Applewhite was not the choice to be a winner, but a placeholder until they could get someone else in '19 or '20.

According to some supposedly in the know posters on the conference boards, Applewhite was not the choice to be a winner, but a placeholder until they could get someone else in '19 or '20.
I don't doubt it. I suspect Holgorsen and Fertita had a pretty good "buddy" relationship when Holgorsen was there with Briles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT