ADVERTISEMENT

Why fire Monty if Odom is the replacement?

TUFan1981

I.T.S. Junior
Apr 27, 2006
Hearing Barry Odom is a serious candidate and if true, what a disaster that would be. Nothing would say “ho-hum” more than that and I would seriously question the wisdom and leadership of the university.

I hope it's not him. That would be a Bob Toledo hire.

We were hearing GJ was a serious candidate, so I’m not thinking anything you’re hearing is correct.

Arkansas fan here. I totally get why’d you be disappointed in hiring Odom. Truly, I do. But I think you could do much worse than him. For a school like Arkansas that is usually devoid of crazy talent, we have played some really good defense on occasion.

Anyways, how realistic of a candidate is he for y’all?

Arkansas fan here. I totally get why’d you be disappointed in hiring Odom. Truly, I do. But I think you could do much worse than him. For a school like Arkansas that is usually devoid of crazy talent, we have played some really good defense on occasion.

I don’t think he is in the top three remaining candidates

Reactions: Henry Kendall
No need to get smart…just saying Odom would be a huge mistake IMO.
He's like the freakish bastard child of Frank Haith and Keith Burns. Meh DC from Arkansas who got driven out of Missouri. If one of those is bad, and the other is bad, maybe if we do both at the same time, it'll be good! Like drinking tequila and hooking up with the crazy ex.

Is he your Gragg?

I’ll give you the info you need…it’s down to 4 candidates, interviews continue through the weekend, the top 2 candidates are Matt Wells and Brennan Marion.
Rick seems to have a thing for skinny pasty guys who were good but not great coaches at lower level schools. The man clearly has a type.

Rick seems to have a thing for skinny pasty guys who were good but not great coaches at lower level schools. The man clearly has a type.
Yeah if it’s Wells, that would be extremely disappointing. Marion might be unproven but I think has a high ceiling. Wells has experience but is proven to be mediocre. Especially at Tech.

Yeah if it’s Wells, that would be extremely disappointing. Marion might be unproven but I think has a high ceiling. Wells has experience but is proven to be mediocre. Especially at Tech.
If they look at Wells and say he's the perfect guy to get "it" done, then I'm honestly not sure what "it" is that we're trying to accomplish. I'm 100% in favor of guys getting rehab jobs to work their way back to the big time but I don't see us a rehab job for guys who flamed out at below average P5 schools. That's why God made the Sunbelt and CUSA. We should at least be rehabbing a guy who flamed out at a high level P5 school.

Reactions: goldenhurricane1992
You're a massive douchebag. As Forrest Gump used to say.."That's all I have to say about that"

I don't even want to discuss what your type is.
It's always interesting to see which posts really rile people up. That one was kind of crass but I honestly didn't expect it to generate such heat. Live and learn.

Your post was just stupid honestly. Live and learn.
Maybe you just need to think about it a little harder. IF, and that's a huge if, Wells is the guy, then I think my point is very valid. You might not like to admit it, or maybe you don't understand it, but people with enough insight will I think agree.

It’s a really tough call (and I’m glad I’m not the one who has to make it). I honestly see both sides of the argument for someone like Wells. He did pretty well at Utah State (had them rolling at the end of his tenure) and then couldn’t quite get it done at tech. He brings some good things to the table, but it’s hard to say if that’s enough to get us where we want to be.

Are you basing it off hires at other schools as well. Because 2 hires doesn't make it a type.

Maybe you just need to think about it a little harder. IF, and that's a huge if, Wells is the guy, then I think my point is very valid. You might not like to admit it, or maybe you don't understand it, but people with enough insight will I think agree.
With enough insight is a 'nice' qualification, as if those who don't have it, aren't...

It’s a really tough call (and I’m glad I’m not the one who has to make it). I honestly see both sides of the argument for someone like Wells. He did pretty well at Utah State (had them rolling at the end of his tenure) and then couldn’t quite get it done at tech. He brings some good things to the table, but it’s hard to say if that’s enough to get us where we want to be.
That's what I thought too but looking at it, Wells' record looks a lot like a higher end Monty. Monty won about 40% of his games, Wells won about 56%. It doesn't scream homerun hire to me but I'm no pro.

2013Utah State9–57–11st (Mountain)W Poinsettia
2014Utah State10–46–2T–2nd (Mountain)W New Mexico
2015Utah State6–75–3T–2nd (Mountain)L Famous Idaho Potato
2016Utah State3–91–76th (Mountain)
2017Utah State6–74–4T–4th (Mountain)L Arizona
2018Utah State10–27–1T–1st (Mountain)[a]New Mexicohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wells_(American_football_coach)#cite_note-19

[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]22 [/TD]

That's what I thought too but looking at it, Wells' record looks a lot like a higher end Monty. Monty won about 40% of his games, Wells won about 56%. It doesn't scream homerun hire to me but I'm no pro.

2018Utah State10–27–1T–1st (Mountain)[a]New Mexicohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wells_(American_football_coach)#cite_note-19

[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]22 [/TD]
Yeah 15-17 were a bit of a rough patch. But only one awful season. Again - tough call.

[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]22 [/TD]
The fact that he was able to bring it back up to his initial success says something. I'm not advocating for him, but that is something he has over Monty.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I'm not going to have a favorite from this point on. If I had a favorite, and if he were hired and failed, I would join the Guilty Remnants. And I'm a bit averse to chain-smoking.

• Haha
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Some new things I've heard...

GJ was never a serious candidate due to lack of experience
We are trying to make a run at Gillespie.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Some new things I've heard...

GJ was never a serious candidate due to lack of experience
We are trying to make a run at Gillespie.
If Kinne wasn’t a serious candidate then Marion probably isn’t either.

And if we do land Gillespie would he leave TCU before the playoffs. We might want to pull for K-State tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT