ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Goldie?

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
The slacker seems to be missing. No press, not doing her job as originally planned.

I saw that video the other day and thought about Goldie. Too bad we couldn't get this to work out, it would have been pretty cool.

TU posted a video before the season of Goldie practicing picking up the tee, but I guess it didn't work out.

I think Goldie is still around and participating in smaller TU events but apparently does not like stadium crowds.

They have her out and about before every home game in the tailgating area. So hopefully they can continue to work with her, but at the end of the day, they need to do what's best for the dog.

It would definitely be a crowd favorite if we could get a dog to retrieve the tee as it was originally planned though.

I'm sure they did seeing that she's a purebred golden retriever. I don't really have an issue with it as they are always using her as an advocate for animal welfare and encouraging people to visit adoption events.

I saw her at the home game. I thought for a moment I saw her at the stadium, but the more I think about it, I believe it was on the U during pregame festivities.

8697a38d2be6bb110f6882a0fd2d87b8--tv-quotes-movie-quotes.jpg

The dog is a good example of what happens with a lot of things at TU. Once upon a time, I thought this culture was cured and then Stead retired. They try to copy something other schools do, they spend a lot of money to try and do it, but not enough to do it right, then as it fails to meet expectations, then campus bureaucracy, egos and personal agendas get in the way, and we are left with something sorta half a$$ed.

We are a private school. The people involved are well educated. The dog is an effing retriever. God placed it on this Earth to retrieve. It can retrieve if you want it to retrieve and are willing to invest the time to ethically instruct it to retrieve. But the owner and portions of the school leadership don't want it to retrieve for a variety of reasons I have heard unrelated to "it scares the dog" (which in an of itself is a laugh, as if certain people can interpret the feelings of the dog or it has opened up in group process sessions in treatment for PTSD or something).

If it won't retrieve dump it and let the students take care of a real mascot that actually retrieves. God knows every college kid is so fragile now they have to have a dog in the dorm and walk them to class. It would not be hard to find and fund a student organization to take care of the dog. Fold it into Future Alumni or the Spirit folks. But you see that's not the problem ... The problem is the process, kinda like how we got the new stuffed mascot and the comic book back story.

The whole animal welfare thing is a laugh. If 20,000 people were going to show up at the dock jumping championship you can bet that dog would be out front.

Reactions: URedskin54
I think Goldie was a great idea, but if she's not the type of dog that can be trained to do what we want her to do, we should retire her and get a "Goldie II" that WILL do what we want her to do. Get a new handler / trainer.

I think Goldie was a great idea, but if she's not the type of dog that can retrieve the tee, then go into the suites and recognize and bond with specific high value donors over the course of several seasons, while being a viable social media presence with regular fans before the game, we should admit that and retire her and get a "Goldie II" that WILL do what we want her to do and will earn back the money invested in the program through repeat high level donations secured because of a personal attachment between the donors, their families, and the dog..

FIFY

I guess the worst defense in the nation isn't enough to complain about.

Come on, guy. There is more than enough bitching going on around here. Shit, I could hand everyone at the gate a fresh, crisp $100 bill and there would be people on this board throwing a tantrum about how they had to take out their wallet to put the money in it.

So yeah, I think a thread regarding our unofficial mascot is ok, but if you want to jump in here and gripe about the defense some more, by all means, knock yourself out.

Novocaine and Huffy are some COOL dudes. Maybe we can all hang out at the game Saturday and complain every time a cloud doesn't block the Sun.

Novocaine and Huffy are some COOL dudes. Maybe we can all hang out at the game Saturday and complain every time a cloud doesn't block the Sun.
When you are ready to invest in traveling to three or four road games a season, as I have, for decades, even during the Burns years, when my girlfriend and I were the only people there supporting Tulsa without a son or spouse playing in the game, let me know, I will be glad to meet up with you and discuss your take over a beer. I will buy. No Im not kidding.

Reactions: tupatsfan
When you are ready to invest in traveling to three or four road games a season, as I have, for decades, even during the Burns years, when my girlfriend and I were the only people there supporting Tulsa without a son or spouse playing in the game, let me know, I will be glad to meet up with you and discuss your take over a beer. I will buy. No Im not kidding.

Well, I was also one of the few people in the stands at those games too, but I definitely don't travel that much at this point. I do enjoy beer though!

Saw Goldie walking across campus a while back, so the dog is still around. Last I heard the dog was too skiddish to perform in a stadium. I've known several Golden Retrievers that had noise, thunderstorms, or freak out with a variety of other factors.

Should have gotten a mutt. :)

Crowds? She doesn't like people except for her handler.
Exactly. I've watched her in the suites, in whatever they call ACAC now, the Performing Arts Center, in offices, and at the tailgates. Ive never seen a dog shun people or the camera before as much as Goldie. She isnt scared, she doesn't like doing it. If Oklahoma can get horses that can deal with shotguns going off and the occasional ROTC howitzer on road games, we can find an animal that doesnt mind posing for the camera with Dr. Clancy and a couple of donors in Collins Hall at 2pm on a Tuesday in an empty conference room.

Who's the big shaggy black dog friend that's sometime with Goldie?

Maybe he can take over publicity appearances.

Reactions: bluegold70
Exactly. I've watched her in the suites, in whatever they call ACAC now, the Performing Arts Center, in offices, and at the tailgates. Ive never seen a dog shun people or the camera before as much as Goldie. She isnt scared, she doesn't like doing it. If Oklahoma can get horses that can deal with shotguns going off and the occasional ROTC howitzer on road games, we can find an animal that doesnt mind posing for the camera with Dr. Clancy and a couple of donors in Collins Hall at 2pm on a Tuesday in an empty conference room.

So why are we still screwing around with this dog? One would think there are over 100 goldens in Tulsa which like people and could do the job.

Boise State's dog can obviously do it. Uga seems pretty chill at Georgia. In fact there seems to be about a million bulldog mascots. A&M has a collie that's on the field. Tennessee has a coon hound that goes on the field. Washington has a Malamute. I think it's just this specific dog.

Last edited:
Boise State's dog can obviously do it. Uga seems pretty chill at Georgia. In fact there seems to be about a million bulldog mascots. A&M has a collie that's on the field. Tennessee has a coon hound that goes on the field. Washington has a Malamute. I don't think it's just this specific dog.
That stupid collie at A&M is treated better than the students. It has it's own room in one of the dorms. The dog gets preference on the bed versus the student. If the dog is coming, you get out of its way and let it pass, etc. etc. etc. UGA, and the coon hound at Tennessee are cool and iconic with regards to live mascots.

Of course, Goldie and her sensitivity issues are par for the course with this generation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I bet if they threw the tee out there she would go get it. I have a GR and he will run through a fence to get something thrown, but has no interest in going to get the ball laying in the yard.

I bet if they threw the tee out there she would go get it. I have a GR and he will run through a fence to get something thrown, but has no interest in going to get the ball laying in the yard.
It's all about training. If there is a treat at the end of whatever I want my dog to do, she'll do it and then sit there until I want her to have the treat. It's all about the training. They've obviously trained Goldie to jump off a deck into the water but didn't spend much time on the tee retrieval.

You know it. Section 104 4 life ...
Are you one of the Kielbasa guys?

We used to sit a few rows down from that group...it was always more fun in that section. Then we had kids and needed to go to the endzone for the room

Despite all the unfair criticism of her, Goldie wants everyone to know that since the parakeets started nesting in her fur, she has had to take it easy-no more football related activities-so that her little feathered "babies" don't get all shook up. BTW, she is a great, great grandmother now as the multicolored little suckers breed like rabbits & each generation comes home to roost in "Mama" Goldies fur.

Negatory romance. There are some folks on here who do the chant and I understand it is their thing, but I've never liked it. It cannot be heard by the players on the field so it is something at this point that is just done to draw attention to themselves. I respect the fact that there are some beloved faculty that did the chant back when fossils roamed the Earth and the opposing bench could hear the chant, but those days are gone. If they grew up doing the chant and it is something that they did in school to impress the faculty, I understand too. So, if doing the chant gets butts in the seats, Im OK with it. I sit in 104 because I loathe the atmosphere on the west side, I used to be able to get a better seat at a lower price than the shady side, the lines at the troughs and the refreshment stands are lower and once upon a time, there was a break in the fence where you could get over to QuikTrip and Ed's at halftime and not have to go through the hassle of the crowd flooding back in on the westside. I live in Florida, so I don't mind the sun. I'd bring an old school reflector for my face if I actually needed it. You are correct, there are some long term folks in 104 regardless of whether they do the chant or not that have fun at the games and some of them have become life long friends. Even though at this point I give away two or three sets of tickets per year, I am always greeted by name and its good to catch up with them. Thats why I think if they sold blocks of tickets arranged by Greek affiliation, over time, they could get a solid ten or twelve rows of regulars that will always sit in those seats. it would be nice if people made a personal commitment to improving the image of the school on television by buying two less beers and sitting in 104 or 105 so the TV captures you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT