ADVERTISEMENT

Where Do We Go from Here?

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
Last night was tough... losses like that not only demoralize the team and fan base, but they also bring out the worst on message boards (I’m also guilty of this). I truly hope Montgomery can get this figured out over this bye week, but I’ll be cheering on our guys for the rest of the season because they represent TU and I love all things TU.

One thing to remember going forward (whether this season turns out the way it’s looking or not), is that we’re all on the same team here. We all love TU and want TU to be as successful as it possibly can.

Last night wasn’t cool... at all. It was hard to watch, but I know it had to be even harder on those kids who spend so much time and effort dedicating themselves to this team. I wish them the very best and I hope this week off gives them some time to reflect and improve. There’s still a chance to rebound and win some games and that’s what we should all be focused on - both us and the team.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

I am not that down and out about the team as most....to win as an AAC team you need to have a winning qb and we don't have one. Should have brought in a Juco transfer....but that might have cost us from getting the qb transfer from Baylor that will be our starter next year....

Reactions: bigstar18
I am not that down and out about the team as most....to win as an AAC team you need to have a winning qb and we don't have one. Should have brought in a Juco transfer....but that might have cost us from getting the qb transfer from Baylor that will be our starter next year....
Bingo !

Reactions: TU 1978
Doesn’t seem like Brin is on the radar, but he really should be considering he gets 4 games and still gets to keep his RS.

In the post game after the UCA game, Skipper said the fumble that led to the UCA go ahead score was “on me and that won’t happen again”. Well, it’s happened in every game since (except Texas where he was relatively untouched in the pocket...go figure).

One thing all good QBs have is pocket awareness. They “feel” the pressure and have a clock in their heads. Skipper doesn’t seem to possess either of these. The last 2 games he seems completely oblivious to the outside pressure. Don’t understand how he can lose that since neither of our tackles seems to be capable of holding a block for more than 1 second. This is where using game film to determine a kid’s ability is misleading. You can see arm strength, accuracy, footwork, etc. on highlight reels. You can’t tell if they have any idea or presence or understanding of what is really happening around them.

And he probably looks good in practice because we get no defensive pressure on the QB.

It's awful hard to succeed when your coach is constantly putting you in a position to fail. At the QB position it's even more clear.

Look at the end of the game last night. 2 mins left, 1 min left. Down fourteen and our coach is taking his sweet ass time to get in the plays. Didn't even give us a chance to try an onside.

All those penalties that put us behind the chains. The defensive substitution on the Temple td. The jet sweep safety. His use of time outs last year vs New Mexico. I could go on.

The point is continually Monty has put his players in negative situations. Then we grade them as bad because they can't overcome the obstacles their own coach put in front of them.

Monty has a terrible record in one touch down or less games (3-10). Even the 10 win season wasn't good (3-2). The three wins are all overtime wins. All those games last year. The Independence bowl. Coaching is often the deciding factor in close games.

It's awful hard to succeed when your coach is constantly putting you in a position to fail. At the QB position it's even more clear.

Look at the end of the game last night. 2 mins left, 1 min left. Down fourteen and our coach is taking his sweet ass time to get in the plays. Didn't even give us a chance to try an onside.

All those penalties that put us behind the chains. The defensive substitution on the Temple td. The jet sweep safety. His use of time outs last year vs New Mexico. I could go on.

The point is continually Monty has put his players in negative situations. Then we grade them as bad because they can't overcome the obstacles their own coach put in front of them.

Monty has a terrible record in one touch down or less games (3-10). Even the 10 win season wasn't good (3-2). The three wins are all overtime wins. All those games last year. The Independence bowl. Coaching is often the deciding factor in close games.
We need a play caller who does nothing else. Someone not distracted with the duties of being HC. Someone who gets the plays in quickly and is thinking through the next series with some continuity.

Reactions: TULOYAL
Oh, this could be fun. Let get an ole' fashioned brain storming session going. Remember, there are no bad ideas:

Drag low level offenders out of Oklahoma prisons and have them compete for reduced sentences during game breaks. I'm thinking like Wipeout. Brings in the fans, reduces over crowded prisons, and ummm... justice? Certainly couldn't help our TV negotiations.

Allow season ticket holders to use their college eligibility. I've always wanted to say I played college ball, others probably have too. Will help ticket sales.

Everyone loves T-Shirt cannons. I feel like they phased out too quickly.

End zone medical marijuana dispensary and a Dr. to prescribe it for stress on the spot.

Turn play calling into a fundraiser! Before the first play of each QT fans "donate" to whatever play they want to see run, whichever raises the most is what we run.

4 QB sets. Receive the snap. Running back in position for a direct snap. Wide out. And President lined up as a tight end. Crazy man!

Goldie didn't work, that dog has brought bad luck. We need to find a way to break the Goldie Curse. Everyone loves animals - I'm thinking an iguana on each goal post would balance out the negative chi from the dog. Just wondering around on the goal post all game, but they aren't allowed to get off. If you think about it, it all makes sense.

Okay, none of those will result in more wins. But it will keep it interesting in case we cruise to 0 FBS wins a month from now.

Ah, it's been years since I have had the desire to post anything on this board. Nothing really to vent I guess, I am expecting my beloved Hurricane to lose these days. You have got to have difference makers to win games, we don't have any of those anymore.

I hear Todd Graham is available, though he is more of a defensive genius by reputation...

Ah, it's been years since I have had the desire to post anything on this board. Nothing really to vent I guess, I am expecting my beloved Hurricane to lose these days. You have got to have difference makers to win games, we don't have any of those anymore.

I hear Todd Graham is available, though he is more of a defensive genius by reputation

True, but he has record of hiring great up and coming coaches for all over his staff

Graham burned his bridges everywhere he’s gone.

Did a bang up job in Arizona the last couple years lol.

Arizona St. If you want people to actually care what you think make sure you actually know something about what you are saying.

That Arizona St squad won a bowl game. He had one losing season there, a PAC south division, and back to back ten win seasons.

2 things happen to coaches.

1)They get fired. Everyone hates them.

2)They leave for a better job. Everyone hates them.

Sometimes people are ok with number 2, see UCF and Scott Frost.

Here's my bit for Jesse's brainstorming session: a team shrink is always necessary. I know of a certain QB who could use some heavy therapy right about now. Cut Gragg's salary again to help pay for the MD-Psychiatry on retainer.

Last edited:
Actually some of Jessie’s ideas aren’t bad at all. Oh and by the way go take a look at what happened to the CU buffalo with a t shirt cannon last week. You’ll get a much needed lol.

Arizona St. If you want people to actually care what you think make sure you actually know something about what you are saying.

That Arizona St squad won a bowl game. He had one losing season there, a PAC south division, and back to back ten win seasons.

2 things happen to coaches.

1)They get fired. Everyone hates them.

2)They leave for a better job. Everyone hates them.

Sometimes people are ok with number 2, see UCF and Scott Frost.
I think he was in the state of Arizona, not at Arizona university.

Graham’s record was vastly inflated by the fact that he coached in by far the weakest division in the weakest TV-supported conference. And still he couldn’t get over the hump. The PAC 10 South was dismal.

I think he was in the state of Arizona, not at Arizona university.

Graham’s record was vastly inflated by the fact that he coached in by far the weakest division in the weakest TV-supported conference. And still he couldn’t get over the hump. The PAC 10 South was dismal.

So graham played in a weak conference ? But the aac football conference isn’t very strong either. Temple is not a good team and there coach made horrible decisions. But you guys think graham underperformed but Monty is a god becuase he was at baylor?? Delusional. I️m not a poster here so what do I️ know but keep standing up to the coaches getting overpayed to underperform and watch how much TU suffers even though we always have “next year”. Smh. Enjoy your internet thread that’s does nothing while the donors move the ship

So graham played in a weak conference ? But the aac football conference isn’t very strong either. Temple is not a good team and there coach made horrible decisions. But you guys think graham underperformed but Monty is a god becuase he was at baylor?? Delusional. I️m not a poster here so what do I️ know but keep standing up to the coaches getting overpayed to underperform and watch how much TU suffers even though we always have “next year”. Smh. Enjoy your internet thread that’s does nothing while the donors move the ship
Here’s a little trick I like to call logic - saying that graham ain’t all that IS NOT the same as saying Monty is great. You can think graham ain’t all that AND ALSO think Monty ain’t all that. Whoa! It’s like magic, but it’s not, it’s logic! Try it!

Graham had great resources and perfect timing with a catatonic division and a weak conference and couldn’t get it done. He’s an above average coach probably but not great.

That said coaches are like running backs - when they lose it, it usually never comes back. Not many coaches flame out like graham and then come back to be successful.

saying that graham ain’t all that IS NOT the same as saying Monty is great. You can think graham ain’t all that AND ALSO think Monty ain’t all that. Whoa! It’s like magic, but it’s not, it’s logic! Try it!

Blasphemy!!!111 Dont you know if Monty does get fired we can only hire Graham or Blankenship!!!!111111111

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Here’s a little trick I like to call logic - saying that graham ain’t all that IS NOT the same as saying Monty is great. You can think graham ain’t all that AND ALSO think Monty ain’t all that. Whoa! It’s like magic, but it’s not, it’s logic! Try it!

Graham had great resources and perfect timing with a catatonic division and a weak conference and couldn’t get it done. He’s an above average coach probably but not great.

That said coaches are like running backs - when they lose it, it usually never comes back. Not many coaches flame out like graham and then come back to be successful.
TG and his staff recruited the hell out of Louisiana and Texas and had some very good players . They usually got hosed with the bowl selection of MAC teams and Hawaii .

Really? We have like the 44th most wins all time and the 61st winning percentage of all time.

Other than the 1990s we have more winning or .500 seasons for each decade than losing

Ten game seasons:

9 seasons in the 1940s 7 winning seasons 1 losing, including 1 ten and 1 nine win seasons

6 seasons in the 1950s 5 winning seasons 4 losing, including 2 nine win seasons

7 seasons in the 1960s 4 winning seasons 3 losing including 1 nine win

Eleven game seasons:

7 seasons in the 1970s 7 winning seasons 3 losing, including 1 nine win.

8 seasons in the 1980s 7 winning seasons 2 losing, including 1 ten win season.

12 game seasons:

1 season in the 1990s 1 winning 9 losing, including 1 ten win season.

5 seasons in the 2000s 5 winning 5 losing, including 2 ten win seasons and 1 nine win season.

4 seasons of the last 8, including 2 ten win seasons.

40 winning seasons of 78 years to 31 losing seasons. Including 7 of ten wins and 6 of nine wins. We have won 10 games at least once in each of the last four decades. Since the 2003 year we have averaged one ten win season every four years.

Last edited:
Why can't we do things like app state and old Dominion... Sigh.

ODU’s win is ridiculous especially since they are coming off a 52-10 loss to Liberty last week.

And TCU is losing by a bunch at Texas. I do not understand our team, neck and neck with the best team we’ve played but can do jack against inferior competition.

Really? We have like the 44th most wins all time and the 61st winning percentage of all time.

Other than the 1990s we have more winning or .500 seasons for each decade than losing

Ten game seasons:

9 seasons in the 1940s 7 winning seasons 1 losing, including 1 ten and 1 nine win seasons

6 seasons in the 1950s 5 winning seasons 4 losing, including 2 nine win seasons

7 seasons in the 1960s 4 winning seasons 3 losing including 1 nine win

Eleven game seasons:

7 seasons in the 1970s 7 winning seasons 3 losing, including 1 nine win.

8 seasons in the 1980s 7 winning seasons 2 losing, including 1 ten win season.

12 game seasons:

1 season in the 1990s 1 winning 9 losing, including 1 ten win season.

5 seasons in the 2000s 5 winning 5 losing, including 2 ten win seasons and 1 nine win season.

4 seasons of the last 8, including 2 ten win seasons.

40 winning seasons of 78 years to 31 losing seasons. Including 7 of ten wins and 6 of nine wins. We have won 10 games at least once in each of the last four decades. Since the 2003 year we have averaged one ten win season every four years.
Get rid of the rose colored glasses!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT