ADVERTISEMENT

When will we know the time

George Engle (AZTulsa). His son Gavin was on the team in the late 90s.

He had been running a website and message board at AZHSS.com (Arizona High School Sports) and set up the first SportsOnly.com boards for us. These are commonly referred to as the Blue Boards.
I've heard before, but can't remember when did that board fold?

I've heard before, but can't remember when did that board fold?

Gavin was a Senior in 2000 I believe and George stopped running the board not long after he finished playing.

Our next stop was the dismal TulsaSportsWeb.com boards. It was run by a couple of guys who seemed to really not like football and did everything in their power to have basketball only discussions on their boards.

A few of us heard about Rivals right around that time and moved over here. It looks like I joined in the fall of 2001. The SportsWeb didn't last very long and everyone eventually migrated to this site.

I didn't plan to play sports board historian today but that's how I remember it.

We've had way more activity from TU fans over on the conference boards recently. I'm guessing most people over there are here too, but most have different usernames. I think we should make a bigger showing over there just to troll some of the high and might conference mates.

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
I'm also a Roper. Class of 2001.
Who was the founder?
Gavin was a Senior in 2000 I believe and George stopped running the board not long after he finished playing.

Our next stop was the dismal TulsaSportsWeb.com boards. It was run by a couple of guys who seemed to really not like football and did everything in their power to have basketball only discussions on their boards.

A few of us heard about Rivals right around that time and moved over here. It looks like I joined in the fall of 2001. The SportsWeb didn't last very long and everyone eventually migrated to this site.

I didn't plan to play sports board historian today but that's how I remember it.

Az’s board was great for that time in our history.

Was Chris running the Rivals board in 2001, or did he get involved later? I'm making the assumption he didn't take it over until at least 2002 since that's when he joined this board.

Last edited:
Was Chris running the Rivals board in 2001, or did he get involved later? I'm making the assumption he didn't take it over until at least 2002 since that's when he joined this board.

He probably came over after SportsWeb failed. It seems like we policed ourselves here for awhile.

He probably came over after SportsWeb failed. It seems like we policed ourselves here for awhile.
Wow, it really was a brave new world when Chris took it over, if you weren't getting any original content. I'm assuming there was no paid subscription back then, or any privacy in the Hurricane Alley.(if it even existed)

Wow, it really was a brave new world when Chris took it over, if you weren't getting any original content. I'm assuming there was no paid subscription back then, or any privacy in the Hurricane Alley.(if it even existed)

It was like the Wild West, but it was all free. No premium content and no private boards.

I believe there was an earlier Rival even before AZ, but Rivals went bust nationwide. I was Kid Kendall but Henry Kendall brought the name down. Rivals later emerged nationwide.

On following boards I was Drop Dead Fred, Just Asking, another one that slips my mind.

I am not older than dirt but I can remember when mud was invented.

I liked the TulsaSportsWeb board but living in Nevada I was starved for TU basketball information.

I believe there was an earlier Rival even before AZ, but Rivals went bust nationwide. I was Kid Kendall but Henry Kendall brought the name down. Rivals later emerged nationwide.

On following boards I was Drop Dead Fred, Just Asking, another one that slips my mind.

I am not older than dirt but I can remember when mud was invented.
Wow, I never knew there was an earlier board before the blue boards. Did Al Gore invent that one?

As I recall, Rivals was free for a short while. Chris was just harmoncollege at the time. The pay board came soon after.

Of course TUMe remembers the invention of mud. He has been slinging it ever since.

Wow, I never knew there was an earlier board before the blue boards. Did Al Gore invent that one?

As I recall, Rivals was free for a short while. Chris was just harmoncollege at the time. The pay board came soon after.

Of course TUMe remembers the invention of mud. He has been slinging it ever since.
Yes there really was a Rivals before the blue board. The blue board was fun. The first Rivals had great recruiting information like national ratings by position. Besides AZ becoming less active, the second version of Rivals had monetary advantages like advertisements and payboards. You could also read other schools boards much easier. Just a couple of clicks away.

A school you never heard of in Texas...1966.
The University of Tulsa...1970.

Been here since the AZ board.

Y'all young whippersnappers need to lay off the blue hairs before we have to kick your asses!!!

And another thing...we're gonna beat those assholes from Stoolwater!!!

Yes there really was a Rivals before the blue board. The blue board was fun. The first Rivals had great recruiting information like national ratings by position. Besides AZ becoming less active, the second version of Rivals had monetary advantages like advertisements and payboards. You could also read other schools boards much easier. Just a couple of clicks away.

I found the boards right before AZ started his. I have been floating around ever since, as some form of 4ever forever. It's been a long haul for some of us on here. I followed TU from half way around the world using the boards and what has to be some of the first streaming/game stats. University of Tulsa is the only sports team I ever picked and was born a fan of the rest. Truly never regretted it and am proud of the athletic department and the student athletes we have traditionally produced. Benefitted from AZ, Catbird, and Tallgrass posts, learned the history and the culture from them and others. Use to know the "hit 'em in the head with a big kielbasa" chant because of the board.

May not be 100k of us, but we're loyal and steadfast.

Broken Arrow '96.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT