ADVERTISEMENT

When I Think Of Berhalter

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
When I think of Berhalter, I think of this game. Our current technical director, Earnie Stewart, scored in this game. If you look close, you’ll see Uncle Huffy a couple of rows behind Wonder Woman when they pan the crowd.

Saprissa was a real dump. I’m so glad we never have to go back there. The fans were ten times worse than the Mexican fans that throw piss on us all the time. Really really vile people. I’m told the locker room underneath the stadium was medieval and the ceiling so close to collapse that their fans would jump up and down in the stands above and you could see the ceiling sag four or five inches every time they jumped up and down in unison. All that crap on the field was a joke. The games at the new stadium in San Jose that the Chinese gave them are lovely now btw. Highly recommend taking a vacay on the beach, watching the game next year, then flying home. About a 3 hour flight from Dallas iirc.

There’s a good shot of the Saprissa locker room ceiling in this clip.

You guys that are new to the team (less than 15 years of following each game): it’s really difficult for newer fans to understand why some USA fans really detest Mexico and to a lesser extent Costa Rica. It should be just another game or just another rivalry game. But it never will be for us. I’m not complaining about the standard argy-bargy you get in a WCQ. I’m talking Seriously over the top crap. Beaning Landon with batteries. 3000 people banging on drums all night and pulling fire alarms. Poisoning food (we cater our own down from the US now). Not cutting the pitch to slow the ball down. Racial slurs and gorilla chants. The piss and vomit on the team and the fans. Diverting a sewer to drain around our bus forcing us to walk through it after the game. 120,000 people chanting “Bin La Den” faster and faster in 2002 during the national anthem. I could go on and on. It’s a different game today.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT