ADVERTISEMENT

When do we find out...

It's a bit of a different animal this year since all the seniors can come back if they so desire. That compliance list may be a bit early for it to match up to their decisions. The first day of school is the 19th, but the campus opens up on the 13th. If that list gets put out right before classes start then it will probably match up to the final list for the team. If it gets put out much earlier, maybe not.(It might not be the final draft of that compliance list. Yes pun intended.)

Classes start on the 19th with the first 2 weeks all via remote learning. Students have the option of taking those classes from home or on campus. Students who do choose the on campus option won’t be allowed to leave during that 2 week period.

Classes start on the 19th with the first 2 weeks all via remote learning. Students have the option of taking those classes from home or on campus. Students who do choose the on campus option won’t be allowed to leave during that 2 week period.
There you go. The drop dead date is the 19th. Maybe a little wiggle room after that. I suppose you might have someone say no thanks then show up over the summer and say they want back on the team but that seems unlikely. And you’ll have a couple enroll to finish up and graduate who won’t be on a spring roster because they aren’t coming back. And you might have one who goes through spring and then ends up saying no thanks over the summer I’m done.

But it’s not like TU is going to let kids go through spring practice without declaring their intentions and then decide later. We should know pretty soon after the 19th and TU has to say whether they are still eligible to compete.

I’m waiting to see on receivers / D.
I want sleep back. And it would be nice to have a guy like big cat back. As well as Wick, Reeves, Revels, and Martin.

Reactions: Sbellini
Honestly, I don’t think this extra year of eligibility is right. These seniors (and all players) got to have a legit season of college football this year. Yes, it wasn’t normal, but it wasn’t a total wash or anything.

And giving all current players an extra year really screws over the current high school seniors. For their entire college career they will have an extra class above them that they will have to compete with for playing time. That’s not fair to them.

The law of unintended consequences strikes again...

Honestly, I don’t think this extra year of eligibility is right. These seniors (and all players) got to have a legit season of college football this year. Yes, it wasn’t normal, but it wasn’t a total wash or anything.

And giving all current players an extra year really screws over the current high school seniors. For their entire college career they will have an extra class above them that they will have to compete with for playing time. That’s not fair to them.

The law of unintended consequences strikes again...
It was about avoiding pressuring the small number of legit NFL hopefuls into playing when they might not want to. Or being caught between coaches, teammates, parents pressuring them.

Some times you have to stomach bad outcomes to avoid larger problems.

It was about avoiding pressuring the small number of legit NFL hopefuls into playing when they might not want to. Or being caught between coaches, teammates, parents pressuring them.

Some times you have to stomach bad outcomes to avoid larger problems.
I wouldn’t have a problem with a free redshirt year if you decided to opt out. But getting to play a full season plus getting an extra year doesn’t really solve the problem that I think you’re raising (pressure to play this year because of future NFL hopes).

I wouldn’t have a problem with a free redshirt year if you decided to opt out. But getting to play a full season plus getting an extra year doesn’t really solve the problem that I think you’re raising (pressure to play this year because of future NFL hopes).
But that’s the danger of hindsight. The coaches in June needed to know who was going to be on the roster. And the kids didn’t know if they would play one or ten games. At the time, they needed to incentivize kids to play and conclusively resolve lingering doubts.

And in the end some at some schools played four and other eleven. You’re going to tell all of them that’s a full season of eligibility?

Hard questions. No easy answers.

When they gave them the extra year, it looked as if the PAC12, Big 10 and MWC weren’t going to play at all and the other conferences didn’t know how many games they would actually play. Covid significantly impacted some of these player’s seasons as well as it acted like a mandatory injury time. So in essence a player might miss 2 games for covid protocol and 3-4 more games for covid cancellations on other teams. I think that happened to some of our players. You end up with a bunch of people who played about half a normal season, and giving them an extra year doesn’t act to the detriment of anyone really. (Except maybe some record holders)

There are some players who would be welcome to return, especially those wrapping up their education and graduation. There are others who were held the team back from more success and who should move on rather than return for an extra year. A review of the team and coaching staff performance by the athletic director should give some direction here.

So it appears Huffy is right again . I think we will be hearing very soon about who is staying and who is moving on........

Reactions: HuffyCane
Honestly, I don’t think this extra year of eligibility is right. These seniors (and all players) got to have a legit season of college football this year.
I get your point, but they also lost 4 games to Covid, through no fault of their own. At least two of the four would have likely been W's for an 8 win season or better. The guys, after 2, 3 & 4 win seasons, have to feel good about six but would have been very satisfied & very proud of an 8/plus season. Not to mention missing a shot at the Cougs & an ever growing dislike of a Memphis team. I for one want all the Seniors to come back as want to. We'll need them to compete with other teams who have guys coming back. And they should feel no guilt for doing so.

I get your point, but they also lost 4 games to Covid, through no fault of their own. At least two of the four would have likely been W's for an 8 win season or better. The guys, after 2, 3 & 4 win seasons, have to feel good about six but would have been very satisfied & very proud of an 8/plus season. Not to mention missing a shot at the Cougs & an ever growing dislike of a Memphis team. I for one want all the Seniors to come back as want to. We'll need them to compete with other teams who have guys coming back. And they should feel no guilt for doing so.
You are right they all should come back with no sense of guilt, but that set up causes problems for the university, and the younger players, just as much as it causes problems the other way for the seniors. It is not good either way. But this way causes more problems for more people.

It brings to mind some altered iteration of the needs of the one(few) should not outweigh the needs of the many.

You are right they all should come back with no sense of guilt, but that set up causes problems for the university, and the younger players, just as much as it causes problems the other way for the seniors. It is not good either way. But this way causes more problems for more people.

It brings to mind some altered iteration of the needs of the one(few) should not outweigh the needs of the many.
Are you Vulcan too?

Live long and prosper!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think Gillespie will stay. No west coast ties.

Agent shopping him around ...

I'd be worried if he wasn't. Guy is young, very good at what he does, and ambitious to be more. Have to keep your name out there and be looking for opportunities. Add in his current boss and the stability of that situation 🤷‍♂️

I don’t have a problem loaning him to Texas for a year, although I’d prefer not to.

Worked out last time we farmed out a DC down there and he came back after a year.

His lack of HC experience is about the only knock I can find about him. If he ever got that it's probably the most no brainer decision since we took a trip down Lewis to get Self. Even with out it he's a top choice.

I can see Zach wanting to test the waters, with Brin coming on strong and him going to be a 6th year senior...it's time to move on.

Taylor has me confused. I am not sure he has done enough to get on the pro radar. I think he could use another year.

I wish them both well!

I can see Zach wanting to test the waters, with Brin coming on strong and him going to be a 6th year senior...it's time to move on.

Taylor has me confused. I am not sure he has done enough to get on the pro radar. I think he could use another year.

I wish them both well!
It gets awfully crowded next year adding Brooks back into the fold, and Jackson. It's not the greatest opportunity for him, but it might be the best opportunity he gets.

I think Taylor knows he’s got a dozen other career options outside of football he can take if the NFL doesn’t work out
That’s the scuttlebutt I received. Based on who’s available at the lower rounds and that position it will either work out there or free agency better this year than next. So better to go now and he’s got a very bright future either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT