ADVERTISEMENT

What in the world is that young man wearing.....

Original TULSAFAN

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
on his head?

Is that some sort of head protection while doing light work out drills?

WOW! Just wow.... kids are soft. Lord I am glad I grew up in the 70's and early 80's.

lirtvzpnwyskl4kqbeg5

First of all post the picture you are referring to,..

I'm assuming you are talking about this one. Second of all, they are all wearing them, and you have no idea why they are wearing them. Know what you are looking at before making an ignorant remark bout it. You don't know what they are doing during the whole workout. I suppose you are against headgear for bicycles, skateboards, and motorcycles too. Of the million rational reasons they might be wearing them is insurance liability for the camp.

Just because drills are "non-contact" doesn't mean there is no contact, especially if they're doing a 7v7 passing drill. CBs and WRs routinely end up running into one another. Going up for a header in soccer it's not the other person's head you're worried about, it's their elbows and forearms as they try to get into position. In the 7v7 drills the same thing happens as they go up to contest the ball. I agree with G$ on this...and if these are HS kids, the coaches also have the duty to protect them as much as possible in addition to teaching them the game.

Heck, there is probably as great a concussion/head injury risk in non-contact drills as there is when in full gear. At least in full gear you're expecting to get hit.

kids are soft. Lord I am glad I grew up in the 70's and early 80's.

Has nothing to do with being soft --- kids these days can hit much harder than they used to because of advancements in their equipment, this make the sport even more dangerous. I grew up playing football in the late 90s and early 2000s. I wish, like hell, that they cared about my protection then like they do now. It would've helped me avoid many concussions that have a lasting impact on life.

Last edited:
Been saying that about zit for 15 years.

I'll give you that, they do look funny! Reminds me of water polo head pieces with padding underneath.
Actually when you look up this kind of head gear, they label it for flag Football, 7-on-7 football, rugby, soccer, lacrosse, MMA, water polo, soccer, volleyball, field hockey.

And yes I also agree that it looks kind of funny because of the height of all the padding, but it serves a necessary purpose.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I'll give you that, they do look funny! Reminds me of water polo head pieces with padding underneath.
Actually when you look up this kind of head gear, they label it for flag Football, 7-on-7 football, rugby, soccer, lacrosse, MMA, water polo, soccer, volleyball, field hockey.

And yes I also agree that it looks kind of funny because of the height of all the padding, but it serves a necessary purpose.

Look like a modern version of the old leather helmets.

Looks like a drill related to 7v7 play. And yeah, jumping up for a pass and having a DB accidentally take your legs out from under you and landing on your head on concrete covered in Field Turf? Yeah, I would want a helmet too. Goalkeepers have worn them in soccer for close to 20 years.

on his head?

Is that some sort of head protection while doing light work out drills?

WOW! Just wow.... kids are soft. Lord I am glad I grew up in the 70's and early 80's.
zleyhxszbaolxxmi3akb

Also, if you look at the photo of the main guy photographed with the head gear on later in the article, his name is Tahj Brown. Tahj has a tall head of hair, so he strapped it up to handle his tall hair. Maybe you want to make fun of his hair? As I said before, think before commenting...

It is headgear provided by Adidas and Rivals.com during the Rivals Camp Series (sponsored by Adidas). Most of the action photos from Rivals camps will have kids in this protective headgear.

By the way, Tahj Brown is a stud. He's at the same school that produced Tulsa DL Tyarise Stevenson.

Reactions: LindaKlein
Makes sense. There is the answer to your question. Surprised I missed it in the first place. The kid is not soft. The insurance company that wrote the policy purchased by Rivals and Adidas for the camp makes the kids wear them. I bet dollars to doughnuts that one out of 10 of those kids, or less, would be in that headgear if it wasn't a rule at the camp.

Makes sense. There is the answer to your question. Surprised I missed it in the first place. The kid is not soft. The insurance company that wrote the policy purchased by Rivals and Adidas for the camp makes the kids wear them. I bet dollars to doughnuts that one out of 10 of those kids, or less, would be in that headgear if it wasn't a rule at the camp.

Just because our mother's used there arm across our chests for a seat belt didn't make us tougher. Safeguards for kids today don't make them wusses. Just more survivors.

Maybe they could put some sort of face shield on them things and wear them on the field. It would keep people from using their heads as weapons like they use the hard helmets now.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I'm all for anything that avoids head injuries,(for obvious reasons) & no matter what anybody says, you can't just walk it off. We all know they are cumulative.

I think as helmets have become more protective and softened hits, some kids have become more comfortable in them and tackled in a less fundamental way. That's why you see a decent number of neck injuries these days.

Not to mention the exorbitant salaries that coaches are paid provides an incentive to encourage some of them to foster reckless behavior in pursuit of winning (i.e. Salary retention and growth).

I think as helmets have become more protective and softened hits, some kids have become more comfortable in them and tackled in a less fundamental way. That's why you see a decent number of neck injuries these days.
+1. Remarkably, the highest percentage of concussions in upper levels of football are occur in the interior offensive and defensive line.

There was also a study a few years ago that TU researchers contributed data to, that seems to indicate some individuals are more prone to concussions than others and also once someone suffers one, they become more susceptible to future concussions. I am not sure any single contributing factor has been isolated in those who are more prone just yet, but if one can be identified, a doctor could theoretically tell parents their kid needs to be playing baseball and/or basketball...sports with minimal intentional contact versus say football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT