ADVERTISEMENT

What are we missing?

ba11game

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 4, 2003
It's been 21 years since our last really good coach. The first three years after that we won an NIT championship and two NCAA tourney games with coaches not nearly as good as Haith. I know we had better players thanks to Self, but that can't explain it all. I have seen TU beat plenty of bigger, stronger teams with more talent because TU was the better team. I believe a team without strong leadership cannot be a good team. I don't think that came from Buzz and I know for certain it didn't come from Phillips.
I think Greg Harrington probably deserves to be credited with a coaching win for the NIT. When he left, Charlie Davis led the last TU team that won an NCAA tourney game.
I don't recall that we've had a player with that kind of leadership skills since. I'm not talking about leading by example, although there is plenty of value in that. I'm talking about a player who leads his team.
I'm not really sure how you get that. Can you instill that in the right kind of person, or do they have to already have it when they get here?

Reactions: HuffyCane
It's been 21 years since our last really good coach. The first three years after that we won an NIT championship and two NCAA tourney games with coaches not nearly as good as Haith. I know we had better players thanks to Self, but that can't explain it all. I have seen TU beat plenty of bigger, stronger teams with more talent because TU was the better team. I believe a team without strong leadership cannot be a good team. I don't think that came from Buzz and I know for certain it didn't come from Phillips.
I think Greg Harrington probably deserves to be credited with a coaching win for the NIT. When he left, Charlie Davis led the last TU team that won an NCAA tourney game.
I don't recall that we've had a player with that kind of leadership skills since. I'm not talking about leading by example, although there is plenty of value in that. I'm talking about a player who leads his team.
I'm not really sure how you get that. Can you instill that in the right kind of person, or do they have to already have it when they get here?
You rarely get leaders off the transfer wire...

All our best teams were loaded with players that wanted to take the last shot, but were also smart enough to know that the ball needed to be in the hottest hand! Since all of Self's players graduated this has been missing!

All our best teams were loaded with players that wanted to take the last shot, but were also smart enough to know that the ball needed to be in the hottest hand! Since all of Self's players graduated this has been missing!
Self recruited players that could get him a better job... i think Frank carries too much baggage and merely recruits for the status quo...

He is a reflection of our previous AD's empty suit.

Reactions: TU 1978
Lets be honest about Tulsa basketball it is ugly. Stick a fork in me, I am done with TU basketball.

FYI: I just watched OU/OSU and they know how to play because they are well coached. They know how to run the floor and rebound. Both teams are exciting to watch, they are entertaining.

Tulsa does not have the talent to compete in DIV-1 and they consistently have not be able to recruit and inside guy a shooter, plus they are not entertaining.

The talent has gone down the last 3-4 years and it has finally causing a downward spiral that cannot be fixed unless a coaching change is made. All the coaches must go and a clean slate needs to be put in place immediately.

I have totally lost interest and would not go to another game and will not renew my tickets for 2021.

After reading this thread I think my answer would be fans. We aren’t any good, I’m not going to watch games anymore, I’m never buying tickets again, boo-hoo-hoo! I want TU to make the NCAA. I want them to win the final four. However, I continued to watch every game when they won 9, I’ll continue to watch every game if they lose them all, if I still lived in Tulsa I would still have my season tickets and I’d buy them next year also.

Everyone needs to remember that we just got rid of the worst AD in our history so we need to let things play out. I would think both basketball programs will have changes and we need to support the programs, just not the coaches.

Talent is the biggest issue. Last year we had some talent and had a good, maybe not great but good year. Sad this year when Haith thought talent was there. I was always concerned about our shooting. None of the returning players had shown signs of being big time shooters/scorers and I’ve been around long enough to be weary of pre op hype from incoming transfers and freshman. ( I had seen KES and Heywood in practice and questioned their abilities).
We are not going to get talent level of OU or OSU. What is the coaching that stuck out to you. I see it as talent. Much of what OU and OSU is predicated on dribble penetration and shooting abilities. We just don’t have those skill sets.
Top that off with poor post/rebounding and easy to see the issue no matter who is coaching this team.
I still think best option in 2021, with no set president and a temporary AD, is to extend Haith with a no to minimal buy out if he is let go.

There will be no fans to return if they are given the same expectations. A change will help us significantly in the salary department and give us an enthusiastic young coach who can relate to young players and give them an opportunity to play instead of promoting them and then sitting their ass all year.

Reactions: TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT